Apple to integrate Qualcomm's 5G chips in iPhone by 2020, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    MplsP said:
    This would be a great time for Apple to abandon the annual media circus it holds every September.   The circus like atmosphere and the build up create what is invariably disappointment in what are always great products  -- if for no other reason than the build up combined with media's penchant for reporting negativity rather than positivity.

For myself, It is time to upgrade at least one of our phones.  But there is no way that I would want to buy a phone that is soon to be obsolete.  That is my feeling and I can pretty much guarantee that will be the feeling in the media as well.  People just don't keep phones for a year or two anymore and the media will be merciless if Apple tries to pawn a 4G phone off on us. 

But, on the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to wait a few months till Apple can come out with a product I would want to live with for the next 4-5 years.  If Apple does decide to go ahead with its September circus, then I assume they will announce a 5G phone that will soon be available.  Otherwise...
    but yesterday you denied saying that lack of 5g capabilities would make a phone obsolete in 2019 [but after that, it will become increasingly obsolete which makes buying a phone without it pretty stupid unless you plan to throw it away after a year or two.  But most people won't.]
    LOL...   I fixed that for you to include my complete statement -- rather than your out of context falsehood.

Funny how people and news outlets who are trying to spin a story like to edit quotes to make them fit their agenda.   it's a form of lying.
    No, lying is denying something that you clearly have said. To refresh your memory, here are a couple of your posts, complete and unedited. If you want to change your mind, fine. If you want to clarify and say that you meant something other than what you posted, then by all means do so. If you have actual justifications for your position, post away. If all you can do is edit posts to suit your current need and then use them to accuse people of lying then please go pollute some other forum.

GeorgeBMac said:
    All the rationalization excusing Apple for a product that will be obsolete the day it is released.

Could this be why all the politicized hoopla over Huawei?   Apparently they are the only ones who can do 5g right.
    Others may feel differently, but if I was given a choice between dropping a grand on a modern 5G capable phone versus an obsolete 4G one, I will take 5G even if it pisses Trump off.
    That works if you only plan on keeping it till your carrier DOES roll out 5G in your area.

For most customers, a phone is a major investment meant to last years.  Once, 5G is available, that LTE phone is as obsolete as a 3G phone.  If that phone is only a year old, that will be one unhappy customer. 

• Reply 22 of 24
    AlchemyAlchemy Posts: 15member
    Just because you see technical obstacles or no real need for 5G doesn't mean that it won't be a major factor in phone purchases.  Network speed is the next major technical leap in the devices, if you don't keep up with it, you will die!

I am in need of updating my two iPhone 6 devices, but i will not buy a 4G phone.  As you can see, I kept these last phones for almost 5 years and I expect to keep using the next phones for just as long.  Why would I buy a phone that won't use the capabilities of the networks that are now launching?  Apple needs to go 5G this year or their phone sales will be dismal.  They should delay the launch if needed, but I suspect that Apple has already designed the Qualcomm 5G modem into the 2019 phones.  Apple is not stupid, they most likely had dual design tracks that went 4G or 5G.  Why else do you think they wanted to settle with Qualcomm so badly.

As for Qualcomm, they really had no choice but to settle with Apple.  Apple is the major supplier of premium devices and they needed the business, and some royalty payments on prior business is much better than losing all of it in court.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple should take over Intel 5G modem development,enhance to it's own requirements and embed on A-series  processor along with WiFi6 and BT5.1.