Apple Appoints Al Gore to B.O.D

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Check this out. Apple has today appointed Former Vice President Al Gore to their Board of Directors. Check out the press release here.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/mar/19gore.html

What are your feelings about this? Does he know wnything about technology (Besides that HE created the internet)?

Philip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Al Gore is on Apple's board? "Stiff as a board" Al the board member? Or is it April 1, and I missed that whole March thing?

From Macminute:

Quote:

Former Vice President Al Gore joins Apple's Board of Directors

March 19 - 16:35 EST__ Apple today announced that Al Gore, the former Vice President of the United States, has joined the company's Board of Directors. Mr. Gore was elected at Apple's board meeting today. "Al brings an incredible wealth of knowledge and wisdom to Apple from having helped run the largest organization in the world -- the United States government -- as a Congressman, Senator and our 45th Vice President. Al is also an avid Mac user and does his own video editing in Final Cut Pro," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Al is going to be a terrific Director and we're excited and honored that he has chosen Apple as his first private sector board to serve on."

"Steve and his team have done an incredible job in making Apple once again the very best in the world," said former Vice President Al Gore. "I have been particularly impressed with the new Mac OS X operating system and the company's commitment to the open source movement. And I am especially looking forward to working with and learning from the great board members who have guided this legendary company's inspiring resurgence."

• Reply 2 of 56
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    oh man, this is great!
  • Reply 3 of 56
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    I fail to see the logic in bringing freakin' Al Gore on. I'm actually embarrased for Apple, as this seems more like a self-gratuitous political PR move than a legitimate attempt to strengthening "one of the worst board of directors" in the industry.

All I know is that they better keep his damn wife away from the iPod...

• Reply 4 of 56
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    did anyone else fall out of their chair when they read this like i did????
  • Reply 5 of 56
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If you want to take over the internet, this is the guy to get.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i think its an excellent idea actually

he is a very smart man and isn't as stiff as you think if you'd have seen him in other places then during the election when i guess he was just trying to portray good posture

it is extremely weird but its not a bad thing, i think its good...couldn't hurt...i mean if it was bush it'd be bad but it gore so we can be happy
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Give the man some time. He will be good as a board member and in a matter of months he will be claiming that he invented the first Macintosh. I can't wait for that day to come.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    I didn't believe it when I first read it. I think it's an interesting idea and it certainly couldn't hurt Apple. It's too bad we didn't see him with his Mac during his two terms as Vice President...maybe we could have gotten some marketshare from a few million Democrats.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Does he know wnything about technology (Besides that HE created the internet)?

Here's some quotes from people who do know about technology:

Quote:

According to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States without the strong support given to it and related research areas by the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as Senator."

The University of Pennsylvania's Dave Ferber says that without Gore the Internet "would not be where it is today."

Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University, claims that Gore "was perhaps the first political leader to grasp the importance of networking the country."

If he does get networking, Apple could use him on the Board.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Uh. Whosawhat?
  • Reply 11 of 56
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Yes, and it's not like he's going to develop products -- all he's gonna do is chime in with his "advice" regarding financial decisions (unless the board of directors has suddenly become interested in production). Take it easy everybody.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    He did invent it afterall!
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Ummm what?

This seems so completely random to me. Besides pure PR effect, are there any real benefits to him being on the board?
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Actually, the wired article writer who popularized the "Al Gore invented the internet" myth has retracted his claim- or more or less clarified it to what Al Gore actually said: "I created the initiative for the internet." Now, a claim like that can be substantiated fairly easily because he did, after all, secure the funds for the growth of the internet. I'm certain that it would have happened without Al Gore, but at a different time and way.

So let's put this myth to bed, shall we? Al Gore's on all of our sides now!
  • Reply 15 of 56
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Yeah big deal he's on the board. Its doesn't change how the company operates.

Steve jobs is good friends with the clintons so this is no surprise.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Introducing the new

iChad!

Welcome to voter fraud.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    First up, this is neato! I love it when Apple gives me *nice* surprises.

Second, for those thinking this doesn't make sense, Al Gore is supposed to be an amazing politician in the more British sense of the term, knowing how the system works and how to work the system to get things done.

Those kind of skills will be very handy when Apple starts hitting up against the content industries attempts to legislate p2p file trading, DVD copying and any use of computers other than authorized consumption out of existance (and make damn near every teenager in the country a felon in the process).

People in the open source community are very scared about what homeland security + Hollywood will do to innovation in IT. Gore's a good guy to have in your corner for this fight.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Wait!

This just in:

Al Gore is NOT going to be elected to Apple's BOD. It is going to be...

George W Bush!

(Somebody on Apple's BOD must be from Florida...)
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Just don't let Tipper Gore hear the music on your iPod!

Jello Biafra where are you? Frank Zappa RIP.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    (OK, I will calm down now)