Sony's summer AirPlay 2 and HomeKit televisions include $70,000 8K model

Posted:
in General Discussion
Sony has revealed its lineup of smart televisions it will be shipping in the spring and summer, with the range including support for both AirPlay 2 and HomeKit, enabling the televisions to stream content from Apple's device ecosystem and take advantage of the company's smart home framework.

Sony's Master Series A9G 4K OLED TV with HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support
Sony's Master Series A9G 4K OLED TV with HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support

The Master Series A9G 4K OLED range are slim televisions with a picture quality, color, contrast, and clarity claimed to be approaching that of a professional-grade monitor. Containing over 8 million self-illuminating pixels and using Samsung's Picture Processor X1 Ultimate for control, the screens promise a "super-wide viewing angle," precise contrast, and absolute blacks that OLED is known to provide.

The range also features a Netflix Calibrated Mode and IMAX Enhanced with DTS Audio, with support for Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. The sets also use Sony's Acoustic Surface Audio+ technology for creating sound from the entire screen.

While not available initially, AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support will be made available in the A9G range in the summer.

Arriving May, the 55-inch and 65-inch models will cost $3,499.99 and $4,499.99 respectively. The 77-inch model, priced at 7,999.99, will go on sale in June.

The Sony Master Series Z9G 8K HDR TV boasts 33 million pixels due to its higher resolution. The screen is also paired with the X1 Ultimate Picture Processor, using a unique algorithm developed just for the 8K model that can detect and analyze objects in a picture, enabling it to further improve the image based on what is being shown.

As with the S9G, the Z9G will have both AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support, but again will gain it later in the year.

The 85-inch and 98-inch versions will be going on sale in June, priced at $12,999.99 and $69.999.99 in their respective sizes.

The last of the announced ranges to include AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support, the X950G 4K HDR television uses the same X1 picture processor to power its LCD panel. Offering six times the contrast of conventional Sony LED TVs and wide viewing angles, the range is IMAX Enhanced with support for both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, and has a Netflix Calibrated Mode for optimally viewing content from the streaming service.

The 55, 65, 85, and 85-inch models cost $1,399.99, $2,199.99, $3,499.99, and $4,999.99 respectively, and will ship in late April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    $57,000 for an additional 13 “of screen. Wow.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Containing over 8 million self-illuminating pixels and using Samsung's Picture Processor X1 Ultimate for control
    I don’t think so...
    hmurchison
  • Reply 3 of 23
    And who provides content at that resolution? Why does one need it? Yet another game with numbers and no practical use?
    hmurchisondysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    And who provides content at that resolution? Why does one need it? Yet another game with numbers and no practical use?
    I've been looking at the 900 series Samsung 8K and their Demo content and it doesn't look any different than the 4k content and the reason is 

We as humans do not care as much about resolution as we do about contrast.   The Big Three (Sony, Samsung, LG) all realize that the next big push 
    is Micro LED and above 4000 nits of peak brightness.  
    stompy
  • Reply 5 of 23
    jdmac29jdmac29 Posts: 42member
    Sony PS5 is the only thing I can think of for just video games. i agree don't need it. I don't even have a 4k tv set, waiting on free 4K ota channels with built in tuners. 

• Reply 6 of 23
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Do I get my $69,999.99 back if I find a dead pixel on it? Or if I buy it at Walmart, can I get my money back after 364 days if I don't like it for any reason?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    neilm said:
    Containing over 8 million self-illuminating pixels and using Samsung's Picture Processor X1 Ultimate for control
    I don’t think so...
    Definitely a SONY processor NOT Samsung’s.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    These 13 inches creates a considerably larger image area than a 13 inch screen.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    microLED is where this is all headed. I know it is years off, but I already waited years anyway, and the screens I have now will see me through in any case.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Now if Sony could just bring AirPlay 2 to our current sets please.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    8K Processing is basically just prep for VR enabled products where the realism will require 4K display per eye.   TV don't need the resolution but 
    you have to have one product line fund the other at times. 
  • Reply 12 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    One of the reasons we got a 2018 model QLED Samsung last night is airplay2 support. Would have got a 2018 9 series Sony but it won’t support airplay 2.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 13 of 23
    entropys said:
    One of the reasons we got a 2018 model QLED Samsung last night is airplay2 support. Would have got a 2018 9 series Sony but it won’t support airplay 2.
    I told them idiots that they were being stupid by making it 2019 only.   Why not show some love to people that recently gave your company a significant amount of money? 
  • Reply 14 of 23
    entropys said:
    I told them idiots that they were being stupid by making it 2019 only.   Why not show some love to people that recently gave your company a significant amount of money? 
    Exactly!! 

I want Airplay on my A9F Sony. I’m incredibly unimpressed that you’re not going to bother to put it on what is still your current flagship Master Series OLED that I have paid you a lot of money for. 

This is still the flagship model. Don’t be jerks. Samsung are making you look very bad Sony. 

I used to have so much more respect for you. 
  • Reply 15 of 23
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    There is a point at which adding "99s" to create a psychological illusion of staying under a price threshold no longer applies. Really now, is there a single human on earth who will look at the $69,999.99 price on that TV and say, "whew, I think I really can afford that puppy because $70,000 would absolutely blow the budget?" Marketing people need to quit playing these silly penny games and grow up. Yes, we are adults. We can handle zeros. We know what pennies are. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 16 of 23
    dewme said:
    There is a point at which adding "99s" to create a psychological illusion of staying under a price threshold no longer applies. Really now, is there a single human on earth who will look at the $69,999.99 price on that TV and say, "whew, I think I really can afford that puppy because $70,000 would absolutely blow the budget?" Marketing people need to quit playing these silly penny games and grow up. Yes, we are adults. We can handle zeros. We know what pennies are. 
    70k TV are bragging rights for 1 percenters. 

My money would be spent link this 

http://www.us.jvc.com/projectors/procision/dla_nx9/   $18k 

Screen Innovation Black Diamond 150" 
    $5k 

I could buy all my source equipment and speakers well under the 47k left over 
  • Reply 17 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    Where are the moral outrage police when you need them, to cast scorn and “disgust” at a corporation for selling such a big ticket item, the way they do with Apple? Hmm...
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    Any content that’s played on this overpriced “toy” will surely look like crap. There’s barely any content that’s shot on true 4K yet. Phew. More money than sense.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 19 of 23
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Part of the reason is panels are cut from raw glass sheets that can only be manufactured so big. Currently the largest 8k sheet can be used to make eight 55” displays, two 65” displays, or one 85” display. 
  • Reply 20 of 23
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Johan42 said:
    Any content that’s played on this overpriced “toy” will surely look like crap. There’s barely any content that’s shot on true 4K yet. Phew. More money than sense.
    There are plenty of professional camera used in filmmaking that shoot in 8k. The new PlayStation will support 8k, and it wouldn’t surprise me if Apple released an 8k display within the next few years 

And no, 4K will not look like “crap” on an 85” TV. There are plenty of 85” 4K TVs on the market, and the picture looks just fine.