The invasion has begun......

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...with the advance of US Marines and British 1st Armored Division into Iraq in the direction of southern key naval port of of Umm Qasr. A second column of US 3rd Infantry Division troops crossed into the demilitarized zone on Iraqi border with Kuwait, with thousands of tanks, combat vehicles and fuel trucks....

See the Debka file at: http://www.debka.com for the real info. They tend to scoop the major news networks. CNN is still presenting "brink of war" stories...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I wish I could remember the source, but last week I read that the fence between Kuwait and Iraq had been cut in 7 places by the US Military, and tanks had already crossed into Iraq at that point in time.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ewwhite

...with the advance of US Marines and British 1st Armored Division into Iraq in the direction of southern key naval port of of Umm Qasr. A second column of US 3rd Infantry Division troops crossed into the demilitarized zone on Iraqi border with Kuwait, with thousands of tanks, combat vehicles and fuel trucks....

See the Debka file at: http://www.debka.com for the real info. They tend to scoop the major news networks. CNN is still presenting "brink of war" stories...

Funny, I just was linked to, and sent the Debka site to Groverat this morning.

It was a friend with family in the UAE who sent it to me, he said that this was where the real news comes from in that region. I believe him.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    ewwhiteewwhite Posts: 29member
    It really is a great source. NPR here in Chicago did a story on the site and how a number of large companies pay for the Debka subscription service. Heck, even NPR admitted to using it as a source on occasion. Very interesting stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

I wish I could remember the source, but last week I read that the fence between Kuwait and Iraq had been cut in 7 places by the US Military, and tanks had already crossed into Iraq at that point in time.

Doesn't it worry anyone else that they had to cut holes in the fence to let the tanks through? What's going to happen when they encounter sand dunes, trenches, mine fields and tank traps?

• Reply 5 of 30
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ewwhite

See the Debka file at: http://www.debka.com for the real info.

This link isn't working for me now. Coincidence, or government plot?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I try it, but only loaded the front page partially. I think that the web-server must be overloaded.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Finally i suceed : here is the last news from this site :

Small Iraqi speedboats appear in Persian Gulf waters Wednesday. US forces fear they may be packed with explosives for attacking ships of large American naval fleet

An Israeli motorist is shot dead on Shaked-Mevo Dothan road in north West Bank Wednesday evening. Gunfire came from Yaabed village

US warplanes taking off from the USS Abraham Lincoln are bombing Iraqi military targets along the US-UK line of advance.

DEBKAfile exclusive: Kurdish sources confirm that Iraqi deputy prime minister Tareq Aziz is in their hands and is being questioned by US intelligence officials.

Earlier, as American and British forces began invasion of Iraq, DEBKAfile?s military sources reported persistent rumor that two leading powerbrokers of Saddam?s regime had fled Baghdad: deputy prime minister Tareq Aziz, who is thought to be hiding in Kurdistan in northern Iraq, and vice president Taha Yassin Ramadan who has not been seen for three days.

The invasion has begun with the advance of US Marines and British 1st Armored Division into Iraq in the direction of southern key naval port of of Umm Qasr. A second column of US 3rd Infantry Division troops crossed into the demilitarized zone on Iraqi border with Kuwait, with thousands of tanks, combat vehicles and fuel trucks

Hundreds of Iraqi officers and soldiers are reported streaming to the Turkomen town of Tozkhurmato south of Kirkuk and turning themselves in
  • Reply 8 of 30
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Iraq could trump up charges about war in psycholgical warfare.

Whether Iraq will resort to this or not, I cannot say. I would not doubt it one bit.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I've no doubt this story is true, but don't believe everything you read on debka. They are the ones that started the story about 'saddam's bodyguard,' and they unflinchingly printed his claims that saddam has bases in sand dunes that can move under the desert by remote control. He also said Uday was shot somewhere around 80! times, but he was only shot 6. So be careful.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Interesting. Latest I heard is that Aziz went on Iraqi TV to dispel the rumor of his capture...

yup
  • Reply 11 of 30
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    stratfor sent me a 'war alert' saying that there were reports of B-52s were taking off from the UK @ ~1:30 EST, 9:30 PM Baghdad. flight time is 6 hours.

bbc reported earlier in the day that they were loaded with cruise missles.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Be careful about ALL news sites.

Except FOXNews, they're fair and unbal... heh... heheheheheh
  • Reply 13 of 30
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    http://www.canada.com/national/featu...C-A570039FA0ED

Long, but interesting piece on what a likely strategy for Saddam will be.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Ari just spoke. he said the President will speak at 10:15.

The war HAS begun.

Air raid sirens over Baghdad are sounding.

AAA fire can be seen as well.

Here we go...
  • Reply 15 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Apparently, the US launched a cruise missle to a specific target near Baghdad. White House calls it "a target of opportunity," and this is what the President will comment on.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    From the White House:

At 22.51 the war against Iraq has begun.

Wonder what Bush will have to say. He's taking a huge gamble with this...

I love Fox News
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Begun...this Gulf War has
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Gulf War Part Deux !!!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    If Gulf War I was a prizefight, it might have been Ali-Liston

George is hoping this will be a Mike Tyson fight
  • Reply 20 of 30
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    ooooh! pretty blinkenlights of tracer fire