Tim Cook shares four 'shot on iPhone' images to promote Earth Day

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook has marked Earth Day by highlighting four environmentally-themed photographs as part of the company's ongoing "Shot on iPhone" social media campaign, with all of the images of animals and plant life taken using an iPhone.

The tweet from Tim Cook calls on readers to "embrace our shared responsibility to each other to take care of our one and only planet." The message also wishes a "Happy #EarthDay" and promotes the names of the four photographers who took the images featured in the latest "Shot on iPhone" collection.

The four photographers are identified as Ether Havens, Sarah Norvell, Jason Barnes, and Vincent Riemer. All four of the images feature nature and animals in different ways, such as a wide shot of a giraffe near a tree under a stunning skyline and another of a small green frog resting in the middle of a large orange flower.

Happy #EarthDay everyone! What a beautiful world we live in. Let's all embrace our shared responsibility to each other to take care of our one and only planet Earth. Photos #shotoniPhone by @EstherHavens, Sarah Norvell, Jason Barnes and @VincentRiemer. pic.twitter.com/E3chOkkeEl

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

The "Shot on iPhone" social media campaign is used to highlight the quality of the cameras onboard the iPhone, with Apple occasionally picking high quality submissions and showcasing them in advertising and social media posts. As well as photographs, the campaign also uses documentaries and short films that are entirely filmed on an iPhone as the camera, with the latest being the "Don't Mess with Mother" short.

Cook's tweet is part of a number of ways Apple is celebrating Earth Day, including advising of how it is helping to protect mangrove forest in Colombia, expanding its recycling programs, providing Today at Apple Sessions and App Store highlights themed for the occasion, and a special "Earth Day" Apple Watch award for completing a 30-minute workout outside.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    Virtue signaling!

When will he share photos of Mac Pro shot on the iPhone?
    dewmeJWSC
  • Reply 2 of 13
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    JWSC
  • Reply 3 of 13
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Wow!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The world is going to end in 12 years anyway (according to some deranged, clueless, fanatical psychopaths). Might as well celebrate it while you still can. :#
    edited April 2019 JWSC
  • Reply 5 of 13
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    apple ][ said:
    The world is going to end in 12 years anyway (according to some deranged, clueless, fanatical psychopaths). Might as well celebrate it while you still can. :#
    No, but it will be much more expensive to combat global warming 12 twelve years if nothing is done now.

think of it as “An ounce of prevention now is worth 100 pounds of cure”
  • Reply 6 of 13
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    apple ][ said:
    Wait.  Wasn’t the world going to end 12 years ago?  Oh, I get it.  We’re already in the afterlife. 🤪
  • Reply 7 of 13
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    k2kw said:
    apple ][ said:
    No, but it will be much more expensive to combat global warming 12 twelve years if nothing is done now.

think of it as “An ounce of prevention now is worth 100 pounds of cure”
    I think you’ve got your numbers reversed.  The “deranged, clueless, fanatical psychopaths” want to spend a 100 pounds on an ounce of cure.
    apple ][
  • Reply 8 of 13
    JWSC said:
    apple ][ said:
    Wait.  Wasn’t the world going to end 12 years ago?  Oh, I get it.  We’re already in the afterlife. ߤꦬt;/div>
    I also believe that all of the polar bears should have died out by now and the polar caps melted. The crazies will have to step up their prediction game, because they're currently batting 0.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 9 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    apple ][ said:
    JWSC said:
    apple ][ said:
    Wait.  Wasn’t the world going to end 12 years ago?  Oh, I get it.  We’re already in the afterlife. ߤꦬt;/div>
    I also believe that all of the polar bears should have died out by now and the polar caps melted. The crazies will have to step up their prediction game, because they're currently batting 0.
    By crazies, you mean scientists? Okay... 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    apple ][ said:
    I don't know why 2031 is significant, but according to very extensive computer modelling that has been run repeatedly since the mid 1970's, published extensively, and checked by other agencies, the global system will collapse circa 2050. Whether that means global anarchy (Mad Max), nuclear winter (Carl Sagan) or worse, will depend on events at the time, but the next ten years will be critical. In this next decade we must massively change direction and also plan for massive population relocations due to global warming. If we don't the 20 years after that will probably be an unstoppable descent towards an extinction event.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    apple ][ said:
    JWSC said:
    apple ][ said:

If you've been around long enough, you'll know how apple][ posts. He's cute in a Yosemite Sam kinda way.

• Reply 12 of 13
    apple ][ said:
    JWSC said:
    apple ][ said:
    I was primarily thinking of certain celebrities and politicians etc., but yes I do also include some "scientists" in that statement, as many of them have also been wrong, and certain humans will always be motivated by financial profits. Science and facts is one thing, false predictions and fanatical beliefs is something else. 

I view many adherents of the global climate hysteria movement as religious fanatics, with beliefs anchored not around science, but around hysteria and propaganda.

I laugh at all fanatical religious based groups, it doesn't make a difference if it's ISIS or the climate brigade. They're both bad news and I view their members with the upmost suspicion.
    edited April 2019 JWSC
  • Reply 13 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:
    JWSC said:
    apple ][ said:
    I was primarily thinking of certain celebrities and politicians etc., but yes I do also include some "scientists" in that statement, as many of them have also been wrong, and certain humans will always be motivated by financial profits. Science and facts is one thing, false predictions and fanatical beliefs is something else. 

I view many adherents of the global climate hysteria movement as religious fanatics, with beliefs anchored not around science, but around hysteria and propaganda.

I laugh at all fanatical religious based groups, it doesn't make a difference if it's ISIS or the climate brigade. They're both bad news and I view their members with the upmost suspicion.
    Nobody said the world is going to end in 12 years, so nice start with the false narrative. 2030 is an estimate provided by a UN report as to the amount of time we have to significantly reduce greenhouse gases to stem temperature increases beyond 1.5C by 2050, ie in line with the Paris Climate Accords. It's a warning that if we don't do shit, we're going to be *worse* off than we already anticipate based on current increases at an expected 3C by 2050. These are based on complicated models built by the world's scientists, not "deranged, clueless, fanatical psychopaths". 

I swear some of you will still be claiming this is all a hoax when the coral reefs have completely collapsed and cities and island nations are completely underwater. You can *already see the effects of climate change and sea levels rising happening now*. Incredible.
    dsd