What An “Apple Car” Will Be Up Against

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Yesterday, Tesla held an investor event focused on vehicle autonomy and presented an in-depth look at what they’ve been doing behind the scenes for the past several years. Their plan is operate what they’re calling the “Tesla Network”, which will function as a vehicle-on-demand driverless taxi service. Tesla car owners will be able to add or remove their vehicle(s) to this service via an app, which could let them rent out their car while they are not using it, splitting the earned revenue with Tesla. They expect full autonomy will soon be possible due to their massive neural network training effort.

When Apple finally enters the autonomous vehicle space (assuming they do), they may be at a disadvantage since Tesla has refined their largely vision-based system, over one which collects the far more processing intensive LIDAR-based systems Apple has been testing.

Link to the Tesla presentation:
https://youtu.be/tbgtGQIygZQ

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    Is that effort to be tied in with Tesla's proposed satellite project?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    avon b7 said:
    Is that effort to be tied in with Tesla's proposed satellite project?
    No, what they demonstrated is capable of driving independently, even in the event of the unlikely failure of multiple onboard neural processors. 
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 3 of 4
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Just having an EV that is available to be bought within the next 3 years will be a significant achievement. An EV with the usual driver aids like auto braking and blind spot prevention would be great.

I find the vision of automated taxi services unexciting at best. Maybe autonomous driving in my commute would be great, but this is one of those features that OEM can take their time on. No need to rush it whatsoever. Having an EV actually for sale, supported, and a supply chain for hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the other hand is a much bigger hill to climb. Apple appears to be no where serious about it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tht said:
    Just having an EV that is available to be bought within the next 3 years will be a significant achievement. An EV with the usual driver aids like auto braking and blind spot prevention would be great.

I find the vision of automated taxi services unexciting at best. Maybe autonomous driving in my commute would be great, but this is one of those features that OEM can take their time on. No need to rush it whatsoever. Having an EV actually for sale, supported, and a supply chain for hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the other hand is a much bigger hill to climb. Apple appears to be no where serious about it.
    Since Apple doesn’t pre-announce products (not always true, by the way), we have no idea how serious they are about their own car or services surrounding transportation.