Apple opens dedicated 'Apple TV' YouTube channel, teasing Apple TV+ & iTunes content

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2019
Apple has silently begun a new YouTube channel, "Apple TV," apparently laying the groundwork for this fall's Apple TV+ launch.

Apple TV+ See

Only two videos are directly related to Apple TV+ -- one a preview trailer and the other a "storytellers" segment, both shown at the company's March 25 press event. Other clips on the channel are teasers, interviews, and behind-the-scenes material for movies and TV shows like "Game of Thrones," "Joker," "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote," and "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker."

Several playlists organize clips around themes like "Indie Exclusives" and "Hot Trailers." The presence of third-party content may suggest that Apple is using the channel to sell purchases on iTunes, not just Apple TV+ subscriptions.

Apple hasn't said to what degree TV+ will carry licensed material, instead preferring to focus on original shows such as its "Amazing Stories" reboot and "See" starring Jason Momoa. That will dictate pricing and whether or not Apple will compete directly with services like Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Video.

If the company limits itself to first-party content, that will probably place TV+ more in line with Disney+, set to premiere in November for $6.99 per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Fine. Putting their TV+ content on the same or another Youtube channel everyone can resume their lives and Apple may regain its competitive/attractive core business again - as it is supposed in the 1st place
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 2 of 3

The Joker trailer seems to indicate to me that this is just the kind of movie I don't need. It seemed so cliched.

This is the first DC movie I really am not looking forward to watch.

• Reply 3 of 3
    So far, I’m not feeling that anticipation of me really wanting to watch see these shows, although “See” seems a little interesting. I look forward to standalone trailers for these shows and any other promotion. Hopefully, Apple isn’t going to treat this rollout of programming like they do for their product launches - keep everything else a secret until a few days Apple TV+ launches. That’s just not going to work. Just added HBO. Will I drop it for Apple TV+ or take on both, along with Netflix? I’m sure they know that’s the mindset for many of us subscription customers.