Surfer retrieves working Apple Watch six months after losing it in the ocean

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A man from Huntington Beach, Calif. has recovered an Apple Watch he lost surfing in the Pacific Ocean six months ago, still in working order.

Lost Apple Watch

"This thing has been my good luck charm. I would use it quite often to show the surf and how fast you were going. It would even show you where you were on the beach," Robert Bainter told KTLA. One day, however, he was riding a large wave only to discover the Watch had been pulled off his wrist.

"A huge wave came and you know I was loving it, rode it and then I pick up my arm and like 'Oh My God,' what just happened," said Bainter.

Though he spent an hour searching and used Find My iPhone to turn on Lost Mode, the Watch remained missing until he eventually received a call from a man who found it 3 miles north and was able to retrieve Bainter's contact info.

"He was just walking looking for shells and he found it right there," Bainter said.

By that point Bainter had already bought a replacement Watch, but the original was fully functional, the only difference being a haze on the display, likely caused by the saltwater.

"It worked fine, it didn't skip a beat, all the information was there, all the apps were there," said Bainter. "I'm a big Apple fan."

Lost Mode automatically locks an Apple device, and lets users assign a phone number and onscreen message for anyone who finds it. If it's recovered, an owner can unlock it again using the Web or iOS versions of Find My iPhone.
jahbladecornchip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Rad

I'd be interested what series of watch he had
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    If were an Android watch, they'd have thrown it back into the ocean, or if I had found it... right into the recycle bin.
    ArloTimetravelerStrangeDaysking editor the grateracerhomie3lkruppcornchiptoysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Sounds fishy (npi). Someone (even if it's someone else) finds something lost in the ocean? Ocean?!
    dws-2okssipin
  • Reply 4 of 17
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    It would be interesting to retrieve the location data, if it recorded any. See if you could reconstruct the path it followed. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Sounds fishy (npi). Someone (even if it's someone else) finds something lost in the ocean? Ocean?!
    Things do wash up. If he was surfing, he was not too far out at sea. It's not unreasonable to think that that it eventually washed ashore three miles away, months later.
    ArloTimetravelermistergsfcaladanianneo-techracerhomie3lkruppcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I get no credit for posting this story first?
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    I just want to say this story is a great reminder that there are good people in this world, even with all the chaos and anger that fills the news. Kudos to the guy who found it and called.
    fotoformatmistergsfneo-techracerhomie3tyler82lostkiwimuthuk_vanalingamuraharasteveauwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    I wanna know how the person that found it was able to call the owner.  Can you set the watch to show a contact number on the screen without entering a PIN?

anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    I just want to say this story is a great reminder that there are good people in this world, even with all the chaos and anger that fills the news. Kudos to the guy who found it and called.
    I’m curious as to how you find out the contact info from just the watch? I guess maybe when he marked it as lost in iCloud that made it to the watch and it put his contact info on the screen after the guy that found it presumably charged it and powered it on.

Edit: I just tested lost mode with my watch and it does indeed put your phone number and a customizable message on the watch screen. I guess the watch must have connected to a public hotspot when the guy found it, otherwise I don’t know how it would have gotten lost mode turned on. Presumably if he had the cellular version it would have been deactivated on his cell phone plan and it appears the lost mode has to be turned on via a connection to the internet, not a Bluetooth connection to the phone.
    edited April 2019 caladanianracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If the watch was found 6 months later, wouldn't the battery have died out by then?

An Apple Watch battery only lasts for 3 days or something.

How could the watch connect to the internet after 6 months?

I misplaced my Apple Pencil a while back, and I even bought an App to help locate it, but 3 months had already passed since it went missing and I guess the batteries were all out so it didn't give out any signal which would've helped me to locate it. I did eventually find the pencil, it was just lying around in some box I had stored someplace, so everything worked out well in the end, but I do not intend to misplace it again, that I can tell you.

If the pencil battery can't last 3 months, how can the watch battery last 6 months?

Did the person who found it charge it or something? That might explain how it was able to connect.
    edited April 2019 anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    apple ][ said:
    If the watch was found 6 months later, wouldn't the battery have died out by then?

An Apple Watch battery only lasts for 3 days or something.

How could the watch connect to the internet after 6 months?

I misplaced my Apple Pencil a while back, and I even bought an App to help locate it, but 3 months had already passed since it went missing and I guess the batteries were all out so it didn't give out any signal which would've helped me to locate it. I did eventually find the pencil, it was just lying around in some box I had stored someplace, so everything worked out well in the end, but I do not intend to misplace it again, that I can tell you.

If the pencil battery can't last 3 months, how can the watch battery last 6 months?

Did the person who found it charge it or something? That might explain how it was able to connect.
    Presumably the person who found it was an Apple Watch owner and charged it.
    racerhomie3lkruppmacguimuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    True. Cynical me thinks that it would be all too likely the tech press would headline this “Apple Watch band fails to secure Apple Watch”.
    king editor the grateracerhomie3lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    tyler82 said:
    Rad

I'd be interested what series of watch he had
    The 'Aqua Series' I'd guess ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    As to the durability, I recently was on a diving trip and forgot to take my Series 4 off before a dive. At about 30 meters, I noticed a slight glimmer on my wrist, only to realize I had forgotten to remove my watch. I figured it was a lost cause, but upon surfacing all was fine. Even worse, I repeated the mistake the next day with about the same conditions. Still all good. 

A lot more durable than I ever expected although I often used my Series 0 while swimming without issue. 
    cornchiplostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    focher said:
    As to the durability, I recently was on a diving trip and forgot to take my Series 4 off before a dive. At about 30 meters, I noticed a slight glimmer on my wrist, only to realize I had forgotten to remove my watch. I figured it was a lost cause, but upon surfacing all was fine. Even worse, I repeated the mistake the next day with about the same conditions. Still all good. 

A lot more durable than I ever expected although I often used my Series 0 while swimming without issue. 
    Wow, that is pretty impressive. 30 meters works out to about 60 pounds per square inch. Did you surface as soon as you noticed you were wearing it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    This is an awesome story. I usually wear my S4 while kite-surfing with the sports loop. It's nice seeing the rounds on the map after, I wish apple would add more sports to the watch, maybe have the option to download them.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    entropys said:
    True. Cynical me thinks that it would be all too likely the tech press would headline this “Apple Watch band fails to secure Apple Watch”.
    And titled it “Surf-gate”