New iPad Pro models with better antenna tech on the way for 2020, with 5G in 2021 says Min...

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2020
Apple will be using an "LCP Soft Board" in its next generation of iPad Pro models, according to Ming-Chi Kuo, the first time the company will be using the technology in the product line, one that could potentially help improve the tablet's wireless communications and set it up for the introduction of 5G in 2021.

A future revision of the iPad Pro family will start mass production sometime in the fourth quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2020, an investor note from TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims. The models will have 11-inch and 12.9-inch displays, the same as the current generation, but while there isn't any indication of changes to the outside, the analyst believes there will be some internal alterations.

The chief change will be the first usage of a "LCP Soft Board," reports UDN, referring to a material known as Liquid Crystal Polymer. As the name suggests, the board is soft and can be used as a flexible way to connect components together, working around the restrictions of inflexible PCBs.

The use of LCP Soft Board is apparently being made in preparation for the use of 5G modems in the iPad Pro. According to Kuo, Apple will introduce 5G-supporting models in 2021.

It is claimed the LCP Soft Board will be used to connect the antenna to the motherboard, which will supposedly help reduce signal loss and improve overall networking performance. Positioned as a productivity tool, the analyst believes that sometimes the connection requirements could be even higher than that of a mobile phone, making connectivity an important element to the iPad Pro.

There is speculation a firm called Murata will be a provider of the LCP components for the iPad Pro's construction, as it already does so for the iPhone. Another Taiwanese company is also a candidate, with its current production capacity apparently adaptable to help meet the initial demand for the component.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    We are looking into buying an iPad but we certainly won’t wait until 2021. From all I’ve read 5G is turning out to be overhyped and will almost surely underdeliver on the claims being made by the hysterical and fawning tech media. It’s not the revolution it’s being touted as, especially in the millimeter band where the real speed supposedly is.
    ArloTimetravelerhmurchisoncornchip
  • Reply 2 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Not that exciting of a rumor here. There’s a whole host of software improvements that need to be done, so really looking for to iOS 13.

Hardware wise, tough to come up with exciting new features for the form factor, the usual performance improvement excepted. I’d like to see 11.5” and 13.5” 5:4 aspect ratio displays, 2 TB3/USBC ports, and no camera bump for iPad Pros. It’s really the software that’ll make the form factor shine though.
    hmurchison
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    lkrupp said:
    We are looking into buying an iPad but we certainly won’t wait until 2021. From all I’ve read 5G is turning out to be overhyped and will almost surely underdeliver on the claims being made by the hysterical and fawning tech media. It’s not the revolution it’s being touted as, especially in the millimeter band where the real speed supposedly is.
    OMG the 5G hysteria is nuts.   I guess Verizon and ATT are seriously engaging in some payola..  

Wifi 6 will have a bigger impact on consumers lives than 5G for the next 3-5 year.   My reasoning is the vastly improved bandwidth management in Wifi 6 (OFMDMA) which should allow for highly congested networks like at your typical Starbucks to support more connections effectively.   

I'm not going to pay ATT or Verizon's bills for rolling out new networks when I know that Wifi networks at home and in commercial venue will likely improve. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 10
    On a more serious topic, anyone know where I can get that wallpaper?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    There is speculation a firm called Murata will be a provider of the LCP components for the iPad Pro's construction, as it already does so for the iPhone.
    “Murata Boy and Girl”

• Reply 6 of 10
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    tht said:
    Not that exciting of a rumor here. There’s a whole host of software improvements that need to be done, so really looking for to iOS 13.

Hardware wise, tough to come up with exciting new features for the form factor, the usual performance improvement excepted. I’d like to see 11.5” and 13.5” 5:4 aspect ratio displays, 2 TB3/USBC ports, and no camera bump for iPad Pros. It’s really the software that’ll make the form factor shine though.
    I would go for a 13.5" iPad Pro; and if I can plug external storage into one TB3/USB-C port & a secondary independent monitor into the other, that would be great... Please! give us a thicker iPad Pro; could help alleviate any future Bendgate issues & the space can be used for a higher capacity battery... And an improved Keyboard Folio, with real backlit keys, & the ability to use the package in either laptop mode or in a tablet mode with the keyboard covered by the tablet, not exposed where your support hand is touching the keys, or an uneven fold between the tablet & the reversed keyboard (which itself could lend to more Bendgate issues)...
    bohler
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    I look forward 5G embedded into or a small Thunderbolt 3 USB-C dongle for Macbook/MBP and 5G pay as you go service.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    macronin said:
    tht said:

I would go for a 13.5" iPad Pro; and if I can plug external storage into one TB3/USB-C port & a secondary independent monitor into the other, that would be great... Please! give us a thicker iPad Pro; could help alleviate any future Bendgate issues & the space can be used for a higher capacity battery... And an improved Keyboard Folio, with real backlit keys, & the ability to use the package in either laptop mode or in a tablet mode with the keyboard covered by the tablet, not exposed where your support hand is touching the keys, or an uneven fold between the tablet & the reversed keyboard (which itself could lend to more Bendgate issues)...
    Bendgate is not a thing. How I wish the -gate everything would stop, it literally makes zero sense.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    If Apple have their own 4G modem close to ready and their own wifi ready to jump to the 6 standard. I wonder if they will make the standard model 4G cellual and 5G as the $100 upgrade?

Use the non-constrained space of the iPad to get them into service before rolling them into the Aseries for the space constained iPhones in 2020. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bohlerbohler Posts: 40member
    Apple please give us a 15‘‘ ipadPro....something much bigger!....