Two 2019 iPhones rumored to have triple-camera, OLED display, USB-C, and be thicker

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member

hexclock said:
    Every object warmer than absolute zero radiates in infrared, including your own body, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. 
    It is interesting that the camera recording of this Face ID did pick up these "pulses" very frequently during usage of the phone.  Based on what you said, would you expect the camera to not pick this up at all?  It makes me think those flashes are strong enough to register on the camera compared to other IR light around the area ??  It's not just me that is wondering about this... apparently Samsung users have been talking about it if you do a search.  and here are couple links of interest

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-s8-is-it-harmful-being-ir-irradiated-on-the-eyes-for-authentication/

and

https://www.radiantvisionsystems.com/blog/measuring-near-ir-sources-facial-recognition-and-3d-sensing

It would be nice if Apple has an official statement based on credible research on use of Face ID,  if there is one, have not seen it yet.

edited April 2019
  • Reply 22 of 28
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    M68000 said:

Given that there's no scientific rational for suspecting any of the conditions you describe, it seems reasonable to question the source(s) of such "reports." My guesses are paranoids in tinfoil hats, pseudo-scientists baiting clicks from aforementioned paranoids, or competitors seeding doubt about products that threaten their own.
    I just found this article that yes there are concerns about levels of usage...  this is a somewhat "scientific" or intelligent article for sure

https://www.radiantvisionsystems.com/blog/measuring-near-ir-sources-facial-recognition-and-3d-sensing

But this article itself is both suspect and an example of begging the question.

First, it says IR must be accurately measured because it's harmful to the retina and cornea. There's no mention of how or why, or whether or not there is scientific consensus. I understand that offering supporting evidence would be outside the scope of the article on Radiant's site, but the point is there's nothing there that proves anything. It's a claim, not evidence.

Second, Radiant has a vested interest in readers believing that IR causes damage. If I believe it, I have a reason to buy Radiant's measurement system. If IR is not harmful, the benefits of buying Radiant's product are significantly reduced.

I'm not saying Radiant is wrong or deceptive. I honestly don't know. I *AM* saying that the quoted article offers nothing to resolve the issue one way or the other.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 23 of 28
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Imagine how many people would be thrilled to have an iPhone with a bigger battery/more usuable charge. This is a simple change (add 1-2 mm thickness) that could have come a long time ago. Apple should even offer two versions of phones - a Pro and not-pro. One is for design conscious and/or light users, the other for road warriors and power users. The difference? One is thicker with a bigger battery. That's all. Silly millimeter thicker.

When you consider that the number one complaint most users have about any phone is it's inability to hold a charge long enough, why hasn't Apple moved on this? Seems like right now, they could use a sales bump and bigger batteries would definitely create one. I'm sure Jony might have some angst over making a thicker phone, but I'm sure he could work his frustrations out in the gym.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    welshdog said:
    Imagine how many people would be thrilled to have an iPhone with a bigger battery/more usuable charge. This is a simple change (add 1-2 mm thickness) that could have come a long time ago. Apple should even offer two versions of phones - a Pro and not-pro. One is for design conscious and/or light users, the other for road warriors and power users. The difference? One is thicker with a bigger battery. That's all. Silly millimeter thicker.

When you consider that the number one complaint most users have about any phone is it's inability to hold a charge long enough, why hasn't Apple moved on this? Seems like right now, they could use a sales bump and bigger batteries would definitely create one. I'm sure Jony might have some angst over making a thicker phone, but I'm sure he could work his frustrations out in the gym.
    People love to complain, but at the point of sale, they end up buying the thinner device. 

Your idea has been tried. Moto with its Maxx versions and you can probably put Samsung’s Active brand too. It’s not successful enough in the industry to really make it a common practice for OEMs. 

10 hr runtimes with overnight charging is enough for 95% of the market, if not 99%. 
  • Reply 25 of 28
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    tht said:
    welshdog said:

People love to complain, but at the point of sale, they end up buying the thinner device. 

Your idea has been tried. Moto with its Maxx versions and you can probably put Samsung’s Active brand too. It’s not successful enough in the industry to really make it a common practice for OEMs. 

10 hr runtimes with overnight charging is enough for 95% of the market, if not 99%. 
    I'm not talking about making a thick brick. Just add a small thickness to increase battery volume. I do not accept that American phone buyers en masse would reject a phone that was 1mm thicker in return for significant battery performance increase. Most Americans wouldn't know a millimeter if it bit them in the ass. Visit any airport to see how many want longer battery life.

For Apple the increase in power stored would be a marketing boon. Don't mention the thickness, push the longer battery life hard. Apple made a big deal in their marketing about making things thinner by fractions of a mm. Marketing for a thicker phone would merely omit the new dimensions - SOP for marketers. People would buy.

Oh and my idea has not been tried - by Apple.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 26 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    welshdog said:
    tht said:
    welshdog said:

I'm not talking about making a thick brick. Just add a small thickness to increase battery volume. I do not accept that American phone buyers en masse would reject a phone that was 1mm thicker in return for significant battery performance increase. Most Americans wouldn't know a millimeter if it bit them in the ass. Visit any airport to see how many want longer battery life.

For Apple the increase in power stored would be a marketing boon. Don't mention the thickness, push the longer battery life hard. Apple made a big deal in their marketing about making things thinner by fractions of a mm. Marketing for a thicker phone would merely omit the new dimensions - SOP for marketers. People would buy.

Oh and my idea has not been tried - by Apple.
    Unless you're going from one day of use on a charge to two days, a larger battery doesn't help. What do I care if it has 15% or 25% when I plug it in at the end of the day?
    Apple knows how much battery is required for most users, most of the time.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    mike1 said:
    [...] Apple knows how much battery is required for most users, most of the time.
    My experience does not support that claim. While my limited use of my phone allows me to get through the day, that doesn't seem to be the case for large swaths of people around me. I see WAAAY too many people recharging during the day to believe that's true.

Okay, that's admittedly anecdotal and not scientific, but the number of people I see regularly running out of juice is just too high to be a statistical anomaly.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    No way I’m buying that ugly ass shit