Mouse support for iOS possibly, next-day MacBook Pro keyboard repairs, and more on the App...

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider Podcast, William and Victor talk about rumors of mouse and trackpad support on iPads, Apple's speeding up keyboard repairs, and Victor goes to Moogfest where he learns about Focal headphones and Sensel Morph, a multi-touch input device.

Sensel Morph with Buchla thunder overlay
Sensel Morph with Buchla Thunder overlay

AppleInsider editor Victor Marks and writer William Gallagher discuss:
  • Rumored mouse support in iOS. William doesn't really see the point, but Victor sees the pointer and looks forward to how this could change iOS.
  • New iOS and tvOS betas are out, and the most significant change is an updated TV app in readiness for the new Apple TV+ and Apple TV Channels service launching later this year.
  • It appears that MacBook and MacBook Pro butterfly keyboard repairs are now being done in store to speed up turnaround time. Victor dreams of a day when there won't be a keyboard, there'll be multi-touch glass with a Taptic engine to make it feel like key travel.
  • There are strong and persuasive rumors about two new AirPods models coming at the end of 2019 or start of 2020. Victor and William wonder how much could change, agree that the rumored noise-cancelling feature would be great, and then try to figure out how Apple could balance that power-hungry option with keeping a decent battery life.
  • Goldman Sachs raises their price target for Apple from the $140s to $180, on the basis that problems selling in China seem to have stabilized. It'll be interesting to see if it stabilizes for Samsung, too.
  • Victor goes to Moogfest and speaks with Josh from Focal about audio, something Apple has been focused on from the iPod, through to Apple Music and HomePod. Yes, we're talking high-end headphones and speaker monitors, but Victor wants to get to the details of what makes for good sound reproduction, and what we'll be able to hear with better equipment.
  • David Abravanel joins to talk about Sensel Morph, a multi-touch pressure sensitive input device that can be used to control Logic, Final Cut, act as a QWERTY keyboard, or as a music synthesizer controller.
We like reader email -- send us your comments and concerns!.

The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links:
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @wgallagher and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Based on Apple's history, I can confidently say that next Macbook/Macbook Pro upgrade will have upgraded keyboard addressing current issues.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    wood1208 said:
    Based on Apple's history, I can confidently say that next Macbook/Macbook Pro upgrade will have upgraded keyboard addressing current issues.
    I'm not confident until it happens. I'd like to think so, but there's no telling if we get a speed bump with the same v3 butterfly, or if we get some haptic glass thing like I hope for, or something else entirely.
  • Reply 3 of 11

ajl said:
    Just read on Sensel website
    VIRTUAL DISPLAY KEYBOARD
    Ability to dynamically remap keyboards by application. Opens new UI design possibilities for future applications.
    Whoah!

This is a technology Apple should implement on MacBooks, especially after the latter keyboard fails.
    The way they do their QWERTY overlay is to put small microswitches in the keys, not because they need to for switching, but for the tactile feel. This is completely something Apple could do, but would people feel comfortable typing on it? I don't know.
    MacPro
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    vmarks said:
    wood1208 said:
    I'm not confident until it happens. I'd like to think so, but there's no telling if we get a speed bump with the same v3 butterfly, or if we get some haptic glass thing like I hope for, or something else entirely.
    In technology, never say never. Apple keep updating it's Butterfly keyboard and may be with next upgrade, it will be better. Not everyone have issues with keyboard. May be small user base who abuse keyboard which is not designed for. 
    Intel releasing new 10nm CPUs for mobile/laptops, so I assume the Macbook/PRO will receive internal hardware upgrade and same time other upgrade including keyboard. So, hang-in their. I have high confidence.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    I don't have issues with the 3d generation.
    wood1208 said:
    vmarks said:
    wood1208 said:
    In technology, never say never. Apple keep updating it's Butterfly keyboard and may be with next upgrade, it will be better. Not everyone have issues with keyboard. May be small user base who abuse keyboard which is not designed for. 
    Intel releasing new 10nm CPUs for mobile/laptops, so I assume the Macbook/PRO will receive internal hardware upgrade and same time other upgrade including keyboard. So, hang-in their. I have high confidence.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Not everyone does. But I wouldn't call people who have troubles with the keyboard as people "who abuse keyboard which is not designed for."

It's a keyboard. You type on it. For people who buy them to type on (writers, developers) when it fails, it's a problem - is it not designed for writers? There's a disconnect here: we know Apple tests it with robots for number of keypress cycles between failure, and yet professional writers and developers are among those who have experienced the failures. I'll grant that it may not be widespread (by whatever definition we use to define that) but it is a very visible failing.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Enjoyed the podcast, as usual. The gentleman from Focal was a charming chap. In fact, both guests were  interesting.

I like these interviews Victor is doing lately. William's and Victor's banter is appreciated as they run through the week's Apple topics. I pretty much have stopped reading the articles. Still enjoy Andrew's vid's tho.

Keyboards? Hmmmm. I remember when Apple switched the iMac keyboard from the "atrium' style to the chiclet style. Took me about a week to get used to it and appreciate the direction Apple was going. I thought since most people were using laptops, it made sense that the iMac's KB had a similar feel to the laptop. 

I'm typing this on a 2017 Rose Gold MacBook and think it is the quintessential Mac laptop. I'm not a power user so it all boils down to weight. Apple could use the MacBook as their forward looking model. Wouldn't it be great to have a MacBook with a glass/haptic KB. (No crumbs would get in!). Less moving parts. Thinner bezels, TouchID, larger trackpad...I would absolutely trade in my current MacBook for that configuration. :)

Best Regards to Victor and William. I appreciate the hard work that must go into producing the weekly podcast! :)
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Enjoyed the podcast, as usual. The gentleman from Focal was a charming chap. In fact, both guests were  interesting.

I like these interviews Victor is doing lately. William's and Victor's banter is appreciated as they run through the week's Apple topics. I pretty much have stopped reading the articles. Still enjoy Andrew's vid's tho.

Keyboards? Hmmmm. I remember when Apple switched the iMac keyboard from the "atrium' style to the chiclet style. Took me about a week to get used to it and appreciate the direction Apple was going. I thought since most people were using laptops, it made sense that the iMac's KB had a similar feel to the laptop. 

I'm typing this on a 2017 Rose Gold MacBook and think it is the quintessential Mac laptop. I'm not a power user so it all boils down to weight. Apple could use the MacBook as their forward looking model. Wouldn't it be great to have a MacBook with a glass/haptic KB. (No crumbs would get in!). Less moving parts. Thinner bezels, TouchID, larger trackpad...I would absolutely trade in my current MacBook for that configuration. :)

Best Regards to Victor and William. I appreciate the hard work that must go into producing the weekly podcast! :)
    Thank you! It is especially difficult doing field recording, which William wrote about recently. We were granted the use of WUNC studios for this event, and while you may not hear it in this episode (Focal was recorded in a hallway, Sensel in the studio with some inexpensive mics I had brought) you'll hear it in later episodes, where we used ElectroVoice RE20 and Neumann mics. A treated room makes so much difference.

My only fear about the 12" MacBook is how it ages in terms of computing processing power.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    vmarks said:

Thank you! It is especially difficult doing field recording, which William wrote about recently. We were granted the use of WUNC studios for this event, and while you may not hear it in this episode (Focal was recorded in a hallway, Sensel in the studio with some inexpensive mics I had brought) you'll hear it in later episodes, where we used ElectroVoice RE20 and Neumann mics. A treated room makes so much difference.

My only fear about the 12" MacBook is how it ages in terms of computing processing power.
    Spot on Victor, about the processing power.

It's that age-old dilemma you've mentioned so often...The Apple MacBook caters to the consumer market where most do a little photo management, email, texting, maybe some video editing (but not much) and surfing. In my case a few charts in Pages.

As I've said before, the future of personal computing is probably closer to the iPad/Pro than the Mac.

Oh well, fascinating as always! :)

Best Regards.