Apple recalling some AC wall plug adapters and Apple World Travel Adapter Kits

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Apple has launched a voluntary recall of some AC wall plug adapters shipped between 2003 and 2010, designed for use primarily in Hong Kong, Singapore and the United Kingdom.

In Apple's statement surrounding the recall, it says that affected Apple three-prong wall plug adapters may break and create a risk of electrical shock if touched. These wall plug adapters shipped with Mac and certain iOS devices between 2003 and 2010 and were also included in the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit.

An affected three-prong plug adapter is white, with no letters on the inside slot where it attaches to the main Apple power adapter. Apple notes that customers who believe that they have the adapters, the newest of which is nine years old at this point, should visit the support page for the recall.

The recall is as a result of six incidents worldwide. Apple notes that the recall does not affect any Apple adapters for US power, nor are any USB power adapters impacted.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I actually had this happen to me back in 2008 during one of my trips to the UK. I was working on site and when I got up to leave I pulled the plug out from the wall. The front plate with the plug ends on it came loose from the rest of the adaptor. I made an appointment for the next day at the Regent St. Genius Bar. The appointment took less than a minute. I handed the adaptor and brick over to the Genius who said "Oh!" and handed me a brand new power brick which contained the proper plug end.
    wozwoz
  • Reply 2 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It's time for Apple wall power adapters to move from silicon to gallium nitride (GaN). Help reduce the size/footprint and power efficient reducing heat lengthening structural and inside components life.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 3 of 17
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I had this happen too with at least two of these UK adapters. I pulled the plug out, and the three prongs along with their faceplate stayed in the wall, and the rest of the PSU came away. 
  • Reply 4 of 17
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    Why is the new one NOT all white? Looks awful for an Apple product. 

And why the need for all those awful logos and text when the old one doesn’t need it?
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 5 of 17
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    wood1208 said:
    It's time for Apple wall power adapters to move from silicon to gallium nitride (GaN). Help reduce the size/footprint and power efficient reducing heat lengthening structural and inside components life.
    Which has nothing to do with the defective UK plug adapter issue.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 6 of 17
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    matrix077 said:

And why the need for all those awful logos and text when the old one doesn’t need it?

Ah, to distinguish it easily from the defective version? It wouldn't be a good idea for both be plain white.

However in addition to the light grey feature, the new adapter also has a body that's shallower and more compact than the old one, as well as indentations on each side to make it easier to grip. You can see these features in the article's photos. As it happens I have one of each type on the desk in front of me.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 7 of 17
    matrix077 said:

All of that is hidden when plugged in.
    chiafastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 17
    wood1208 said:
    These things are dumb. i.e the just convert the three pin UK plug to a two pin supply format.
    I have several power bricks and three different adapters for 1) The UK, 2) The USA and 3) Europe.
    Apple power supplies are pretty small compared to others. An old HP laptop of mine weighed a couple of pounds and was literally the size of a brick
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 9 of 17
    wood1208 said:
    These things are dumb. i.e the just convert the three pin UK plug to a two pin supply format.
    I have several power bricks and three different adapters for 1) The UK, 2) The USA and 3) Europe.
    Apple power supplies are pretty small compared to others. An old HP laptop of mine weighed a couple of pounds and was literally the size of a brick
    Why are they dumb?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    elijahg said:
    wood1208 said:
    Why are they dumb?
    Never mind. The focus is on equal opportunities, social welfare, environment, green energy
  • Reply 11 of 17
    rwrgeorwrgeo Posts: 12member
    I’m confused by this, all the news I’ve seen says it doesn’t affect USB power adaptors but the affected plugs were shipped with certain iOS devices.

What plugs are shipped with iOS devices that aren’t USB adaptors and which devices? 
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Sorry duplicate post (received error message but still posted)
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Sorry duplicate post (received error message but still posted)
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 14 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rwrgeo said:
    I’m confused by this, all the news I’ve seen says it doesn’t affect USB power adaptors but the affected plugs were shipped with certain iOS devices.

What plugs are shipped with iOS devices that aren’t USB adaptors and which devices? 
    I believe the iPad used to ship with an 18W power adaptor that used the same swappable plug as the MacBooks, maybe that's it?  It's a single piece now.
    elijahgrwrgeo
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Latko said:
    elijahg said:
    wood1208 said:
    Why are they dumb?
    Never mind. The focus is on equal opportunities, social welfare, environment, green energy
    Ohhhkay? Perhaps you're suggesting there should be a harmonised international voltage, frequency and socket type? Good luck with that.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 16 of 17
    crowley said:
    rwrgeo said:

I believe the iPad used to ship with an 18W power adaptor that used the same swappable plug as the MacBooks, maybe that's it?  It's a single piece now.
    Isn’t that still a usb adaptor? Not convinced apple are helping anyone by making us guess.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rwrgeo said:
    crowley said:
    rwrgeo said:

Isn’t that still a usb adaptor? Not convinced apple are helping anyone by making us guess.
    I’m assuming that they’re distinguishing between the actual power supply, which may or may not be USB, and the plug, which can be a separate thing on the higher wattage products.  It appears that the issue is with the plug, so it certainly won’t affect the lower wattage ones which are USB and have an integrated plug, i.e. it doesn’t affect anything that you plug a USB cable into.
    edited April 2019