'iPhone XI,' 'iPhone XI Max' renders suggest little difference from iPhone XS family other...

Posted:
in iPhone
Renders of Apple's alleged "iPhone XI" and "XI Max" designs compared to the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max don't demonstrate a lot of design differences, other than that three-lens camera protrusion.

2019 iPhone renders

The renders suggest the phones will be largely identical to the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max apart from their new camera bumps, with the "iPhone XI" sporting a 5.8-inch OLED display and the "XI Max" 6.5 inches, said CashKaro and @OnLeaks. The notch and bezels on the "XI Max" may be slightly reduced, but almost imperceptibly.

Reported dimensions are 143.9 by 71.4 by 7.8mm for the "XI," and 157.6 by 77.5 by 8.1mm for the "iPhone XI Max." The latter is largely identical to figures shared by Mac Otakara, except that that site said the phone would be 77.6mm wide.

Unmentioned is an anticipated iPhone XR refresh. Mac Otakara hinted that it could switch from LCD to OLED, but that may be unlikely unless Apple and its suppliers can push OLED prices down.

CashKaro sources say the "XI" models will have rear panels formed out of single sheets of glass, including their camera bumps, along with iPad-style mute switches. It's also claimed the phones will continue to use Lightning ports, despite USB-C appearing on some other Apple hardware and offering greater compatibility.

Apple is slated to refresh its iPhone lineup this fall. According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, one of the three rear "XI" lenses will be a super-wide, and front-facing cameras will switch to an improved 12-megapixel system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I wonder if President Xi would like to own an iPhone XI?
    DAalsethgilly33mike54GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 34
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    If the camera is going to look like that it better be worth it.
    caladanian
  • Reply 3 of 34
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Unmentioned is an anticipated iPhone XR refresh. Mac Otakara hinted that it could switch from LCD to OLED, but that may be unlikely unless Apple and its suppliers can push OLED prices down.
    Samsung sells OLED phones for under $300 now. 
  • Reply 4 of 34
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    hentaiboy said:
    "They named it after me!"

AI said:
    ...little difference from the XS family other...

I think one thing we can count on is enough difference in at least one dimension that the case and possibly cover of the previous model won't fit. So even if you're willing to punch a hole or two to accommodate a mic or camera lens, you can't use a case you already haveYou'll have to buy a new case, either from Apple if they make one, or a third-party source.

It's rare that Apple makes a new model that's backwards compatible with old cases. The SE does come to mind. I'm still steamed the iPad mini 5 is juuuuust a millimeter or two too tall to fit my mini 2's case. If it did fit, I'd have a local leather shop make any necessary accommodations. That case is a beauty. I wish Apple would source a similar case for the mini 5.

GeorgeBMacnetmage
  • Reply 5 of 34
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't even own one of the newer iPhones, I still have an iPhone SE and it works great for me, I love the tiny size, and it fits great in my front pocket, which is where I like to keep my phone and the SE still works smoothly.

But, I don't get all of the whining and moaning about camera bumps and how the camera looks when newer phones come out. Those people are almost as annoying as the people who whine about thinness. If they want a fat phone, then go travel back in time, and they'll get their ignorant wish. Progress is not going to cease, based on the desires and outdated, perverse thoughts of a few cavemen.

Phones have completely eliminated the need for owning a personal camera for the average person, as smart phone cameras are that good now and have been for quite some time now.

So what if a phone has a camera bump, if that means that the camera is better?

The people who whine about bumps should be offered a model without the bump and with a far inferior camera. And those who prefer the best camera possible can choose the model with the bump. I know which one I'd choose. I don't care about a tiny bump, if it means a more advanced or better quality camera, which results in better photos. I think that the people who whine about the bump are full of crap, and almost everybody would choose the superior camera model.

I don't have any bump on my SE, but my iPad Pro 10.5 has a slight camera bump, and it doesn't bother me at all, since the camera is good and there are zero disadvantages to having the small bump. The advantage to the bump is obvious.

One of the areas that will continue to be improved on iPhones, is to continue to make the camera better and better, and if that means a bump or a multi lense configuration, then big freaking deal. Bring it on.

edited April 2019 DAalsethradarthekatMplsPbb-15
  • Reply 6 of 34
     That camera bump is hideous.  The iPhone takes incredible pictures already why do we have to keep focusing on the camera?  How about work on losing the notch in the screen so that I’m not losing image, fix the buttons  so I’m not always accidentally taking a screenshot.
    superklotonJMCKEVER
  • Reply 7 of 34
    I hope that these renders are not true. I HATE that fugly three camera bump. If Apple really will include three cameras on the next iPhone, then hopefully they know how to make it look good. I get new iPhones every year and I will have to skip this one if they release one with that horrible three camera bump. And I hope they stop using Roman numerals for product names. I'm sick and tired of hearing "iPhone ex" come out of people's mouths. Does anyone at Apple stop to think about the fact that their last two flagship iPhones have been referred to as "ex" and "ex es"?
    superkloton
  • Reply 8 of 34
    PhillyJim said:
     That camera bump is hideous.  The iPhone takes incredible pictures already why do we have to keep focusing on the camera?  How about work on losing the notch in the screen so that I’m not losing image, fix the buttons  so I’m not always accidentally taking a screenshot.
    No matter how good the camera currently is, there are areas that can be improved and it can become even better. If people are happy with their current iPhones and current camera, then why buy a new one. Just keep using what you have. For the rest of us, the world will continue to spin, and things will continue to improve.

CPUs, especially Apple's A chips are incredibly powerful. Should we cease all CPU development for some years, because they're already good enough?
    edited April 2019 bb-15
  • Reply 9 of 34
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I own an XS Max.  It's by far the best phone Apple has made.  My wife has an XR, which is great as well.  The problem with a refresh like this is it gives virtually zero reason to upgrade, even on the upgrade program.  
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    sdw2001 said:
    I own an XS Max.  It's by far the best phone Apple has made.  My wife has an XR, which is great as well.  The problem with a refresh like this is it gives virtually zero reason to upgrade, even on the upgrade program.  
    You have less than one year old phones. There isn’t any reason for you two to upgrade. Even 2017 model owners don’t have much reason to upgrade. Maybe the 2016 model owners, but they can get a new battery and be fine too.
    superkloton
  • Reply 11 of 34
    I hope these renders are a guess and not the real thing.  I can't believe Ive would sign-off on anything that ugly.
    superklotonnetmage
  • Reply 12 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    apple ][ said:
    I don't even own one of the newer iPhones, I still have an iPhone SE and it works great for me, I love the tiny size, and it fits great in my front pocket, which is where I like to keep my phone and the SE still works smoothly.

But, I don't get all of the whining and moaning about camera bumps and how the camera looks when newer phones come out. Those people are almost as annoying as the people who whine about thinness. If they want a fat phone, then go travel back in time, and they'll get their ignorant wish. Progress is not going to cease, based on the desires and outdated, perverse thoughts of a few cavemen.

Phones have completely eliminated the need for owning a personal camera for the average person, as smart phone cameras are that good now and have been for quite some time now.

So what if a phone has a camera bump, if that means that the camera is better?

The people who whine about bumps should be offered a model without the bump and with a far inferior camera. And those who prefer the best camera possible can choose the model with the bump. I know which one I'd choose. I don't care about a tiny bump, if it means a more advanced or better quality camera, which results in better photos. I think that the people who whine about the bump are full of crap, and almost everybody would choose the superior camera model.

I don't have any bump on my SE, but my iPad Pro 10.5 has a slight camera bump, and it doesn't bother me at all, since the camera is good and there are zero disadvantages to having the small bump. The advantage to the bump is obvious.

One of the areas that will continue to be improved on iPhones, is to continue to make the camera better and better, and if that means a bump or a multi lense configuration, then big freaking deal. Bring it on.

Could not agree more. Literally. I have an iPhone SE that I carry in my front pocket and a 10.5 inch iPad Pro, so I completely get what you're saying. The thing is, as is often pointed out, I immediately put whatever device I have in a case. Poof, bump gone, razor thinness gone. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 34
    DAalseth said:
    Could not agree more. Literally. I have an iPhone SE that I carry in my front pocket and a 10.5 inch iPad Pro, so I completely get what you're saying. The thing is, as is often pointed out, I immediately put whatever device I have in a case. Poof, bump gone, razor thinness gone. 
    We might have the same devices, but I guess we have a different philosophy when it comes to cases, because my devices are always naked. Sometimes I don't even notice the SE in my front pocket. I like the smooth, cold metal touch of being in direct contact with my phone or whichever device I'm using.

I can understand the need for some people to use cases though, depending on their job, or what they do with their phone, to each their own. Choice is good. If I was for example in Afghanistan on a special mission, hunting down terrorists, I'd probably put my phone in some sort of heavy duty case.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    SweeTango said:
    I hope these renders are a guess and not the real thing.  I can't believe Ive would sign-off on anything that ugly.

Not knowing the reasons for the camera being set up that way how do we know this isn’t a case of Apple putting function over form? It’s not like Jony Ive can walk in a room, say something is ugly and boom it gets made prettier. In the case of the cameras my guess is the camera and hardware engineering teams have more to say than Ive. But I’m also going to guess the final product will look more polished than this CAD render.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    hentaiboy said:
    iPhone XI Max Max

They could just call it "the iPhone (Plus/Max)".  Simple, and works for iPads.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 16 of 34
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    iPhones 11 will have plenty to offer. A13, tipple(double for XR) back cameras, upgraded front camera,WiFi 6, BT 5.1.x, peer-to-peer wireless charging, etc.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 17 of 34
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    tht said:
    sdw2001 said:
    You have less than one year old phones. There isn’t any reason for you two to upgrade. Even 2017 model owners don’t have much reason to upgrade. Maybe the 2016 model owners, but they can get a new battery and be fine too.

I don’t really need to upgrade. On the other hand, I may anyway if I’m on the upgrade program. Recently I’ve been getting a new phone every year because it makes sense to do it.   There has been enough difference in the yearly models to justify it.  This appears different.  
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    That is one ugly monstrosity of a phone. The current XS looks great, and takes excellent pictures. Would be great to focus on something else other than the camera...again. How about give us dark mode to make real use of the OLED screen.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I thought about this a few times over the past several days since the other story broke with the metal Mockups.  And my thought has been, I rarely look at the rear on my iPhone 8+.  It really matters little to me what the camera bump looks like.  What matters is the camera’s capabilities.  Really, that’s it. 
    MplsPbb-151983
  • Reply 20 of 34
    I thought about this a few times over the past several days since the other story broke with the metal Mockups.  And my thought has been, I rarely look at the rear on my iPhone 8+.  It really matters little to me what the camera bump looks like.  What matters is the camera’s capabilities.  Really, that’s it. 
    This is what Jony Ive said in his Steve Jobs tribute speech:

“He used to joke that the lunatics had taken over the asylum as we shared a giddy excitement spending months and months working on a part of a product that nobody would ever see, or not with their eyes. But we did it because we really believed that it was right, because we cared. He believed that there was a gravity, almost a sense of civic responsibility, to care way beyond any sort of functional imperative.”

I remember when the MacBook was first announced. Phil Schiller showed a photo of the inside of the machine and joked that the inside of this machine looked better than the outside of other manufacturers machines. Now there may be no other way to design the camera layout on this phone and perhaps Apple designers did the best they could aesthetically under the circumstances. We don’t know. But to say what it looks like doesn’t matter because one doesn’t look at the back of their phone or has it in a case goes against pretty much everything Jobs and Ive have said over the years. 
    GeorgeBMaccaladanian