Designers have social duties beyond a product's launch, says Apple's Jony Ive

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    If Apple REALLY cared about environmental responsibility, they would make their computers and other devices with user upgradable memory, storage and the ability to replace the battery like they used to.   Ivy prioritizes making a computer 1/16" thinner over making them last longer.  I dropped some electronics off at a recycling fair a few weeks ago and it's astonishing how many computers are dumped that probably wouldn't have had to be if they were upgradable.    Now since it was a recycling fair, at least the parts will be broken down and supposedly recycled, but a lot of what's there is still going to wind up in dumps.  

It's not that Apple doesn't want to be environmentally responsible, it's that they care more about forcing people to upgrade to new hardware.   From a business standpoint, I understand why they'd want to do this, but I just wish they'd stop the hypocritical bullshit that comes out of there.  And if Apple really cared about "social duties" beyond a product's launch, they would also make the machines easier to repair.   
    edited April 2019 ireland
  • Reply 22 of 35
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member
    A keyboard that actually works would be a big step towards social responsibility, Mr Ive. 
    irelandmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    lkrupp said:
    Is Jony getting this from that Philosopher they hired?
    I think rather than a philosopher, Ive should hire a court fool to remind him every now and again to stop taking himself too seriously.  That is one hell of a load of pretentiousness that needs deflating.

also: original iMac mouse.
    irelandmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

bsbeamer said:
    Maybe Jony Ive should have listened to Jony Ive when he designed the Mac Pro Trashcan... let's hope the modular 7,1 isn't an over designed POS.
    The design wasn't based on aesthetics, it was based on parallel processing in a configuration that didnt work. The "thermal corner" they discussed at great length. It was engineering. 
    Well... I think it was a case of the exterior design dictating the direction of the engineering. Giving form preference over function can lead to some bad engineering decisions.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

bsbeamer said:
    Maybe Jony Ive should have listened to Jony Ive when he designed the Mac Pro Trashcan... let's hope the modular 7,1 isn't an over designed POS.
    The design wasn't based on aesthetics, it was based on parallel processing in a configuration that didnt work. The "thermal corner" they discussed at great length. It was engineering. 
    What advantage did the circular design have over traditional cases with respect to parallel processing? Interconnect length?
    Read the interviews on the TechCrunch article for the media event they held to explain its issues. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member

bsbeamer said:
    What advantage did the circular design have over traditional cases with respect to parallel processing? Interconnect length?
    Triangular design, not circular. Their choice is certainly based on legitimate technical reasons, cooling down all three boards at once for example. 1 CPU 2 GPUs that makes three boards. They called this “thermal core architecture”.
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 35
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    "ultimately the work we do stands testament to who we are and what we care about..."

So let's examine the work they do...

• Butterfly keyboards
    • No MagSafe on MacBooks labeled "Pro"
    • No SD Card Slots
    • No LED on charging cable
    • No extension power cord in the box anymore
    • Not a single USB-A port on the MBP regardless of the fact USB-A is still ubiquitous in April 2019 and most of us have USB-A thumb drives galore!
    What Apple is and what they care about is out of touch with The Rest of Us.  Seriously, I love Apple, but all this philosophical chit-chat from Ive in no way makes me think better of Apple.  Apple products and they practical features they offer me governs how I think about Apple at any given time.
    henrybayireland
  • Reply 28 of 35
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member
    jdw said:
    "ultimately the work we do stands testament to who we are and what we care about..."

So let's examine the work they do...

• Butterfly keyboards
    • No MagSafe on MacBooks labeled "Pro"
    • No SD Card Slots
    • No LED on charging cable
    • No extension power cord in the box anymore
    • Not a single USB-A port on the MBP regardless of the fact USB-A is still ubiquitous in April 2019 and most of us have USB-A thumb drives galore!
    What Apple is and what they care about is out of touch with The Rest of Us.  Seriously, I love Apple, but all this philosophical chit-chat from Ive in no way makes me think better of Apple.  Apple products and they practical features they offer me governs how I think about Apple at any given time.
    Agreed. If Mr Ives was serious about ‘social responsibility’ he would stop sacrificing functionality for the utopian pursuit of ‘extreme thinness’. It’s hypocritical to preach social values while ignoring the problems in your own backyard. 
    ireland
  • Reply 29 of 35
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    ivanh said:
    Regarding social responsibility, Apple should design an iOS Light version to extend the use of older devices. Make it 10 years rather than a planned death in 4 years, please.
    Only Apple?
    No, but the point is valid.

This is Jony stating the obvious but sugarcoating it to the point of being sickly.

Utterly worthless because his work has to sell.

I have never had a laptop that didn't see the battery need replacing in its lifetime.

It should be a simple change - from a design perspective and a user perspective but he is backing a machine that requires you to affect both the keyboard and the top case to do something simple (and probably necessary if you want to squeeze a great life out of the machine).

Ah yes, the keyboard. Now there's a subject I'd like to hear him philosophise on.

To paraphrase a different top man: 

"Social Duties, my ass!" LOL
    Have you personally had a problem with the butterfly keyboard?  Or are you just parroting the cause du jour?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35

Suggestions for an iOS-Lite are not practical. Imagine the app confusion that would ensue.

Apple could theoritically take the "fat binary" concept and allow developers to make their apps work on iOS-Lite and iOS, but I think the probable benefits of that would not be worth the time and effort.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,686member
    JWSC said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    ivanh said:
    Regarding social responsibility, Apple should design an iOS Light version to extend the use of older devices. Make it 10 years rather than a planned death in 4 years, please.
    Only Apple?
    No, but the point is valid.

This is Jony stating the obvious but sugarcoating it to the point of being sickly.

Utterly worthless because his work has to sell.

I have never had a laptop that didn't see the battery need replacing in its lifetime.

It should be a simple change - from a design perspective and a user perspective but he is backing a machine that requires you to affect both the keyboard and the top case to do something simple (and probably necessary if you want to squeeze a great life out of the machine).

Ah yes, the keyboard. Now there's a subject I'd like to hear him philosophise on.

To paraphrase a different top man: 

"Social Duties, my ass!" LOL
    Have you personally had a problem with the butterfly keyboard?  Or are you just parroting the cause du jour?
    I was very much in the market for a MBP in late 2016.

When I saw what came out I put my wallet away and said I would not get one of those machines at the prices being charged.

Since then we have learnt a lot more about the machines. It isn't necessary to own one to speak of the issues.

The fact that they have tweaked the keyboard design, that it isn't spillproof and that Apple has acknowledged issues among other things is enough to go on.

You are literally playing Russian Roulette with these things. This isn't an issue that has been restricted to batch of serial numbers. It is an issue that can affect anyone at any time. It doesn't matter that if in the words of Apple only a few users have been affected. We will see if that remains the case over time. The problem is that it could be you. The problem is in the design and if the next major revision sees any big changes with the keyboard it will almost certainly be to remedy issues in the current design.
    irelandmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Well I did get a lot more social interaction with the Apple Store crew after repeatedly replacing my keyboard..so..mission accomplished?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    michelb76 said:
    Well I did get a lot more social interaction with the Apple Store crew after repeatedly replacing my keyboard..so..mission accomplished?

Mission accomplished - as in May of 2003.  Ouch!

Replacing the butterfly keyboard once could be chalked up to a raw material or manufacturing assembly defect.  But more than once certainly indicates a real problem.

The butterfly key mechanism was designed to be thinner, lighter, and offer better force distribution, which in theory should make the butterfly mechanism more robust.  I imagine Apple’s lab testing results backed this up.

But something else is apparently going on that Apple didn’t test for.  The third butterfly design iteration uses a silicone membrane to keep dust out.  With less travel than the traditional scissor design, dust particles might be large enough to interfere with key travel and over time damage the mechanism.

• Reply 34 of 35
    rklarkla Posts: 13member
    gutengel said:
    ivanh said:
    You already get 4-5 years of use of an iPhone, a lot more compared to their Android counterpart. I think is a bit ridiculous and impractical to expect Apple to support a device for 10 years, after all they are a business and need profits.
    lkrupp said:
    ivanh said:
    Only Apple?
    First off there is no planned death in 4 years, people are using 4 year old iPhones. The idea of it lasting 10 years is just patently ridiculous. 10 years ago? You think you would be using an original iPhone 2007 or iPhone 3g 2008 right now? No light iOS would make the hardware from 2008-2009 year model iPhone 3g operational. It would be soooo slow to interact with let alone the internet speed. And the camera...oh boy. This has nothing to do with profits and everything to do with technology. Even if they could make it operational with a light os you would not choose to be using that device. You are asking for a useless device that .01% would own and not use. Buy a used iPhone 7. No resources used at all and no recycling needed.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    ivanh said:
    I have multiple Macs (8) and i often buy them second-hand and many pushing a decade of use...still going strong and in use.

i challenge that record with other manufacturers 
    SpamSandwich