Apple iPhone shipments declined 30% in Q1, now in third place behind Samsung and Huawei

Posted:
in iPhone
According to the latest estimates from market research firm IDC, Apple shipped 36.4 million iPhones during the first quarter of 2019, down a whopping 30% from the same time last year.

Estimates from IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker show Apple in third place behind market leader Samsung and Chinese upstart Huawei.

For the quarter, Apple's 36.4 million unit shipments accounted for 11.7% of the market, down from 52.2 million shipments and a 15.7% marketshare in the year ago quarter. Apple failed to woo new users and upgraders in most major markets, IDC claims, allowing up-and-coming firms from China to chip away at the company's industry standing.

Apple no longer reports unit sales of its major product lines, including its flagship iPhone series.

"It is becoming increasingly clear that Huawei is laser focused on growing its stature in the world of mobile devices, with smartphones being its lead horse," said Ryan Reith, program vice president at IDC. "The overall smartphone market continues to be challenged in almost all areas, yet Huawei was able to grow shipments by 50%, not only signifying a clear number two in terms of market share but also closing the gap on the market leader Samsung. This new ranking of Samsung, Huawei, and Apple is very likely what we'll see when 2019 is all said and done."

Interestingly, IDC found Apple's Chinese market price cuts and worldwide trade-in programs largely ineffective in driving sales. That view contrasts comments from Apple CEO Tim Cook, who in an earnings conference call on Tuesday said the company saw record-breaking response to the same initiatives.

Samsung led the pack with 71.9 million smartphones shipped in quarter one, good for a 23.1% share of the market. The Korean tech giant, too, is seeing its position eroded by Chinese firms, with shipments displaying an 8.1% decline year-over-year.

Huawei displaced Apple as the world's second-largest smartphone company -- measured by volume -- with 59.1 million units shipped, up 50.3% on the year. The Mate maker garnered 19% of the market, up from 11.8% in the first quarter of 2018.

Xiaomi, Vivo and Oppo rounded out the top five, with shipment volumes of 25 million, 23.2 million and 23.1 million, respectively. Marketshare for the three companies stood at a respective 8%, 7.5% and 7.4% for the quarter. IDC notes a statistical tie when the difference between revenues or shipments is 0.1% or less.

Echoing IDC's estimates, Strategy Analytics placed Apple in third place among the world's top-five smartphone vendors. According to its figures, Apple shipped 43.1 million iPhones to capture 13% of the market in quarter one. Unlike IDC, Strategy Analytics predicts Apple's price cuts in China will have a material impact on the region's performance in quarter two.

"Apple lost ground in China during the quarter and is struggling to make headway in price-sensitive India," said Woody Oh, director at Strategy Analytics. "However, decent price cuts in China and India during recent weeks indicate the iPhone will bounce back slightly in those two countries in the next quarter."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    The eye watering price of iPhones and Macbooks (especially with decent storage capacity) must be putting people off. Apple should realise that those of us at the cutting edge typically pass our old devices down to family and friends, many of whom are getting an Apple device for the first time. This helps spread the word and gives Apple additional customers who may sign up for their services.
    edited April 2019 elijahgpslice80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 2 of 51
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Take them estimates and put them where the sun dont shine !
    magman1979
  • Reply 3 of 51
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    What can Apple do in China? The ZhengZhou factory was built to make Apple iPhones. Now it is making Huawei phones. 
    chemengin
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 236member
    I’m not going to pay $1,000.00 for a phone.  Sorry Apple, you’re shooting yourself in the foot.  I’m doing fine with my SE.  I don’t want or need a huge screen.
    elijahguktechieirelandajlchemengin
  • Reply 5 of 51
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    And here come all the fucking mindless, spineless trolls in defence of a lying scumbag organization like IDC...
    lkrupppsliceericthehalfbeeshark5150StrangeDaysAppleExposedsilvergold84
  • Reply 6 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And here come all the fucking mindless, spineless trolls in defence of a lying scumbag organization like IDC...
    Yep, the “overpriced” talking point is in full swing as usual. Just like a broken record.
    tmaypsliceshark5150StrangeDaysAppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 51
    It doesn’t look like your problem is with “trolls” but with AppleInsider for printing such “lies” from the “liars” at IDC...?
  • Reply 8 of 51
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Fred257 said:
    I’m not going to pay $1,000.00 for a phone.  Sorry Apple, you’re shooting yourself in the foot.  I’m doing fine with my SE.  I don’t want or need a huge screen.
    You don't have to.  If you put aside your trolling/iHating persona, you'd discover that Apple happens to sell other iPhones that are not $1,000.  

But hey... focus only on the top of the line phone right?

By your mentality, you should be slamming Samsung for having the nerve of selling a $2,000 phone right?  Are you going to skewer Samsung too?
    edited April 2019 tmaymacpluspluspsliceericthehalfbeefotoformatStrangeDaysAppleExposed
  • Reply 9 of 51
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Estimates? LOL. I don’t really care what IDC says about iPhone sale estimates.  AAPL is up 5% after hours.  B)

edited April 2019 pslice
  • Reply 10 of 51
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    You perfectly know that samsung mobile lost 60% of earnings .. now , how they can be the largest vendor? Huawei is fight with xiaomi for the four position . This chart is completely wrong. On more Canalys, counterpoint, also strategy analytics ,with other their analysts , confirmed that iPhone is the best seller in 6 of the 7 most important countries . 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 11 of 51
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    vonbrick said:
    It doesn’t look like your problem is with “trolls” but with AppleInsider for printing such “lies” from the “liars” at IDC...?
    On more all the analysts reported that iPhone is the best seller on 6 of the 7 most important countries . So this chart of idc is false . Think at the result of samsung mobile (released by samsung itself): - 60% . Alphabet google pixels lost 20%. huawei have more than the half of their earnings thanks to the brand honor (not a top smartphone). Confirmed by counterpoint also.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Estimates? More like guesses. Again Apple doesn’t compete in unit sales especially when most of the units others sell are cheap junk. 
    StrangeDaysAppleExposed
  • Reply 13 of 51
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Fred257 said:
    Welcome to 2019 when even Samsung priced its phone 3x more expensive than Apple but Apple is still overprice.

//check the table and read if it's 'marketshare', then skip the table.
    edited April 2019 80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 14 of 51
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Once again... shipments don't mean squat.  Who's making the profits on their phones?  Yeah. Apple.  Buy hey... literally giving phones away and making almost no money from it apparently is more important how?
    StrangeDaysAppleExposed
  • Reply 15 of 51
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Take them estimates and put them where the sun dont shine !
    And if the numbers were favorable to Apple would you be saying the same thing? I always say these numbers are BS, whether good or bad.
    muthuk_vanalingamAppleExposed
  • Reply 16 of 51
    sflocal said:
    Once again... shipments don't mean squat.  Who's making the profits on their phones?  Yeah. Apple.  Buy hey... literally giving phones away and making almost no money from it apparently is more important how?
    How do we know who’s making the most profit on their smartphones since NONE of these companies, including Apple, report this? And since when did consumers become obsessed with how much money giant corporations make?
    electrosoftmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin
  • Reply 17 of 51
    kevin kee said:
    Fred257 said:
    Welcome to 2019 when even Samsung priced its phone 3x more expensive than Apple but Apple is still overprice.

What phone is Samsung selling that is 3x the price of Apple’s most expensive phone?
    chemengin
  • Reply 18 of 51
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    These estimates are about as accurate as a blind man playing darts.
    AppleExposedsilvergold84
  • Reply 19 of 51
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    kevin kee said:
    Fred257 said:

What phone is Samsung selling that is 3x the price of Apple’s most expensive phone?
    Samsung’s most expensive phone is more expensive than Apple’s. Whether it’s double or triple or something doesn’t change that fact. 
    StrangeDaysAppleExposed
  • Reply 20 of 51
    striperstriper Posts: 1member
    I don't have a problem with the comment of not wanting to pay $1000 for a phone. As for getting an older iphone, they look antiquated compared with some offerings from these other companies. I do think that Apple needs a modern looking phone that is cheaper, without an LCD screen! I am speaking as a fan of Apple.