Apple TV+ to launch as for-pay subscription service, Cook suggests

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,621member
    Apple TV+ will win viewers all over the world in over 100+ countries.
    As Apple points out, they have the best story tellers.

People around the world will choose different OTT offerings for different reasons.
    I bet the Apple TV app will be the platform of choice to watch them all because of it's ease of use and SIRI AI integration.

TV is offered and consumed very differently in different countries but Apple has managed integrate the various platforms under the AppleTV app.
    AppleTV app will do for videos what iTunes did for music.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 1,970member
    mjtomlin said:
    davgreg said:
    Retreads (Amazing Stories) and long in the tooth media types (Oprah Winfrey, among others) is not compelling.

Tim Cook is going to find out that Disney already owns the Disney market and HBO owns the HBO market. AT&T now owns the Warner library and Disney the Disney and Fox library of content. Disney has ESPN and AT&T has CNN. Exactly what special thing does Apple have to bring?

Seriously!? So Tim Cook is going to be surprised by something that you in some way have already figured out and completely understand, and that he is still in the dark about? 

What everyone seems to miss is that Apple’s service is not just Apple’s content, Apple TV+ is about bring together multiple distributors under a single roof. There’s no reason Disney won’t be able to offer their content through Apple’s service. Same goes for HBO. Yes, each will have their own subscription accounts, but having all that content in one central location is what’s going to make Apple’s service stand out from everyone else. Apple is effectively creating a streaming cable service, where consumers get to pick which “channels” (services) they want to pay for. And regardless of which device they’re using (Apple TV, Samsung TV, Sony TV, etc), all that content will be available in the Apple TV+ app on that device.

So, if anything TV+ is going to be huge for people who subscribe to more than one streaming service, provided those services are available in the TV+ service.
    "What everyone seems to miss is that Apple’s service is not just Apple’s content, Apple TV+ is about bring together multiple distributors under a single roof."

Not exactly correct.  ATV+ is specifically Apple's in-house produced original content.  What you're referring to is Apple TV Channels which will debut in the new Apple TV app middle of May
    holyone
  • Reply 23 of 48
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 1,970member
    xixo said:
    this will fail miserably and be gone in a year.

remember when iTunes for windows exploded iPod sales?

I didn't think so... (glass of icewater for someone in hell).

TV+ is an anchor thrown to a drowning man...
    iTunes for Windows did explode iPod sales. I don't know what reality you're living in
    StrangeDaysmacplusplusn2itivguy
  • Reply 24 of 48
    LaraCroft836LaraCroft836 Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Looking too see what's on offer in Australia, Amazon Prime and Stan offer little, and Foxtel are part of Murdochs stable and expensive so let's see what Apple offer. 
  • Reply 25 of 48
    mattbookairmattbookair Posts: 162member
    As noted this isn’t news. The only question was (and still is), “how much?”. Apple would be smart to come in low (like Disney) ... Netflix has shown you can raise prices if you have a good product. Apple needs subscribers/mindshare in this domain, and can worry about bottom line later. I have Netflix and Prime, and will certainly try TV+ ... these subscriptions are so cheap compared to cable, it’s safe to assume people will subscribe to at least 2-3, especially as they start to realize they really can cut their cable.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 8,541member
    Lol. They have completely lost the plot. No one is going to pay for this, unless it comes with content we don’t already know about (as in, iTunes Store movie and tv content). 
    Colossal failure incoming.  It’s not too late to can this DOA service. 
    You dudes are hilarious. It’s like Apple has never launched products before and you have. lol
    edited May 1
  • Reply 27 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,276member
    Lol. They have completely lost the plot. No one is going to pay for this, unless it comes with content we don’t already know about (as in, iTunes Store movie and tv content). 
    You dudes are hilarious. It’s like Apple has never launched products before and you have. lol
    That's a strawman argument.   The issue here centers around Apple's core competencies.   They can launch and do launch products effectively but said product success depends on if that product is in a core competency.   Apple has no experience providing original content they have no experience making cars and thus both project will become money pits. 

Hell it's debatable whether Apple developers good software anymore.  I can't point to any software they've done that has been excellent.  I'm bullish on the Apple Ecosystem but common sense must prevail.   They're not going to sustain revenue running a PG-13 streaming service with Disney delivering the whole kit and caboodle for 5.80 per month.  
    designrchemengin
  • Reply 28 of 48
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 220member
    I have Prime and Netflix. I'll be adding this as well. I'll watch what I want, when I want and work it around my schedule, not make it a priority. Talking about this as a failure shows how completely ignorant the forum is of the writing, production budgets, experienced directors and more that are all on-board.
    Get back to me in about 2 years. People are only willing to pay for so many services. They are trying to reduce costs over cable. Get too many services and you're back to paying cable TV prices. Disney+ and Netflix will be the top 2. Then, Hulu will be 3rd. Apple will be lucky if the come out being 4th or 5th in this race. 
    hmurchisondesignr
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Uh...

This one isn't complicated. At all. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, Disney....these services are identical in the sense that: their bread and butter, the content that people actually pay for, is the wealth of content they have licensed or purchased, and provide. Their original content is just a microscopic supplement that few people actually care about and that no one anywhere is being asked to pay for by itself. Disney is the newest player here, but after spending ungodly amounts of its own money to buy up every property they could convince people to sell...they now have a somewhat decent catalog for their own service (but not enough to command higher end market prices).

Somehow this is being missed in the conversation. Apple has not announced plans to include iTunes Store content (movies and tv) with AppleTV+. If they planned to do that, it would be the first thing they talked about, because people would actually want to pay for that. Apple is the only player operating under the delusion that they can produce original content, and only original content, and actually sell it.

No one cares about any of Apple's original content, and that is all they're offering.
    edited May 1 hmurchisondesignrchemengin
  • Reply 30 of 48
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 431member
    "No one is going to pay for this."  LOL.  Apple has about 1.5 Billion devices in the world with about 800 million users, and will have a half a BILLION subscriptions to its services next year.   If even only a half of one percent of a growing user base subscribe to it, that's millions of monthly subscribers.  But yeah, "no one" will. 

• Reply 31 of 48
    designrdesignr Posts: 531member
    mjtomlin said:
    davgreg said:
    Retreads (Amazing Stories) and long in the tooth media types (Oprah Winfrey, among others) is not compelling.

Tim Cook is going to find out that Disney already owns the Disney market and HBO owns the HBO market. AT&T now owns the Warner library and Disney the Disney and Fox library of content. Disney has ESPN and AT&T has CNN. Exactly what special thing does Apple have to bring?

Seriously!? So Tim Cook is going to be surprised by something that you in some way have already figured out and completely understand, and that he is still in the dark about?
    People often attribute some level of genius or omniscience to Tim Cook and/or Apple generally. They are people just like everyone else. Yes they may have some knowledge others lack, and they may not.

Companies, CEOs and even visionaries get blind-sided. They get tripped up. They miss stuff. They become over convinced of their own abilities. It happens all the time. Sometimes they are blinded by belief in their own "genius" and "omniscience". Arrogance often leads to the trip and fall. You start believing that because I did X well, I can do Y and Z well. Maybe. Maybe not. Apple being pretty damn good at the art and engineering of bringing digital hardware and great software together (Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Watch, TV) does not necessarily qualify them to be great content producers for example or imbue them with some special genius in the financial services world (Card) or inoculate them from the challenges and issues of the automobile market.

None of this is to say that companies (Apple included) should not try doing new things and seeing what they can bring to other markets where they touch up against them. Of course, give it a go! It's also not to say they can't or won't be successful in those. It's to say that their past success (in mostly unrelated areas) is not at all a guarantee of success in the new things they try. Can they bring fresh eyes and brains to an old market? Sure. But in some places, TV/movie content (production) for example there are a ton of people already doing it really well and have been for a long time, and for delivery there are competitors doing fairly well. 
    TV+ is no slam dunk by any means except among the Apple faithful.
    chemengin
  • Reply 32 of 48

Disney's market cap is about a fifth of Apple's but they are the biggest threat to Apple in the next ten year

LOL. You better tell Apple and Disney that as they have execs on each other's boards.  No, Disney is not a threat to Apple at all. They are only "competing" in one area: streaming, which you could argue is a threat to Disney is some limited aspect, but it's only a tiny fraction of Apple's business and will remain that way.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised for Apple and Disney to package a bundle,  as their programming goals,  (no graphic violence, extreme gore, x rated content, etc. ) makes them complementary.  It's why Disney announced they will be participating in the new Apple TV channels.  
    edited May 1
  • Reply 33 of 48
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 953member
    davgreg said:

Apple has the "1984" promo.. 
  • Reply 34 of 48

davgreg said:

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of viewers.  Your same admonishment was applied to Netflix when they started producing their own original content, then Amazon.  People laughed at the thought, but a short time later they have some compelling content and Apple is already ahead of the pace set by Netflix.  What you and many others misunderstand is that video streaming is now largely a commoditized business where consumers don't have loyalty to a particular service, there is some good content everywhere, so viewers move around and are choosing largely on price.  That's Netflix's achilles heel as they can't raise prices enough to keep up with their rapidly escalating costs. (Remember that they are ALL competing for the same limited group of actors, producers and directors, and there isn't anything any one of them are doing that is unique or hard to duplicate if you have enough money).

BTW,  had to laugh when you listed CNN as an "asset."  CNN is the lowest rated and has the fewest viewers of any of the cable news networks.  It's an albatross, not an asset. 
    edited May 1
  • Reply 35 of 48
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 953member
    I subscribe to HBO during different times of the year and drop it when I have watched what I consider interesting. I keep Netflix pretty much all year long. Brit box has one show which runs for 4 months so I subscribe only during that time. Apple TV plus I suspect will not be interesting to me but I will check it out. No I am not a Game of thrones fan but I thought The Leftovers on HBO was brilliant. 
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Notsofast said:

davgreg said:

...and Apple is already ahead of the pace set by Netflix.
    Really? How do you figure?

Notsofast said:

davgreg said:

What you and many others misunderstand is that video streaming is now largely a commoditized business where consumers don't have loyalty to a particular service, there is some good content everywhere, so viewers move around and are choosing largely on price.  That's Netflix's achilles heel as they can't raise prices enough to keep up with their rapidly escalating costs. (Remember that they are ALL competing for the same limited group of actors, producers and directors, and there isn't anything any one of them are doing that is unique or hard to duplicate if you have enough money).
    If what you say is true Apple is entering a commoditized business that lacks customer (user/viewer) loyalty. How will Apple evade those issues (and the others you mentioned)?
  • Reply 37 of 48
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 225member
    citpeks said:
    Disney dropped the mic after announcing its $7/mo service.  Few, if anyone, could challenge all of its franchises and back catalog, and at that price?

Of course, for anyone who believes that it will remain at the price, long term, I have a bridge to sell you.

Apple appears to be serious about ATV+, and since owning/producing one's own content is the key to the media business, it had better be prepared for a long, costly slog.
    As an Apple investor, I would really like to see an Apple Store at Disney World and Disneyland.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    citpeks said:
    Disney dropped the mic after announcing its $7/mo service.  Few, if anyone, could challenge all of its franchises and back catalog, and at that price?

Of course, for anyone who believes that it will remain at the price, long term, I have a bridge to sell you.

Apple appears to be serious about ATV+, and since owning/producing one's own content is the key to the media business, it had better be prepared for a long, costly slog.
    As an Apple investor, I would really like to see an Apple Store at Disney World and Disneyland.
    Hmmm. Maybe some kind of stripped down "express" store with smaller genius bar, no computers...only phones, watches and accessories...maybe iPads.
    edited May 1
  • Reply 39 of 48
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,483member
    As others have opined, it is quite unclear how this will go. Might, might not, as the details are important in deciding that.

Apple has lots of failures to learn from. e.g. Ping, MobileMe. I think that, to be "insanely great" or an instant hit, they will need to offer very compelling pricing, be it in forms of bundles (ATV+, iBooks, Apple Music for $99/yr for a family) or very inexpensive ($.99) rentals. I kinda don't expect this - at least initially.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,744member
    [...] I bet the Apple TV app will be the platform of choice to watch them all because of it's ease of use and SIRI AI integration.
    It might be if it WORKED, but it doesn't. That tends to diminish its appeal.

I use Apple's own Homeshare feature to serve up movies and TV shows to the TVs around the house. Siri and the TV Search app both completely ignore it.

For example, the iTunes Store sells only the first two seasons of the old sitcom Barney Miller, so I bought the complete series on DVD and ripped it. If I ask Siri to play that show, all I get is an offer to buy those first two seasons on iTunes. It does not recognize that I already own the entire series, and that there's a Mac in the living room dedicated to making it available for playback.

The same thing happens with Netflix. Try using your TV to search for Stranger Things, Ozark, or The Kominski Method. It doesn't work.
    hmurchison