Spotify breaks 100 million paid subscribers, holding lead over Apple Music

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    flydog said:
    Fatman said:
    Anecdotal rumblings ...The UX on Spotify is preferred by most, Spotify's play lists are more on the mark. Spotify's free tier helps people get used to the service, create playlists and then sign-up for paid version when ready. The AirPlay2 push plus Verizon promo will help Apple's market share, but Apple needs to be on par or better.Once people are on a service they tend to stick with it.
    Apple could care less about winning the subscriber count battle.  It's about making money, and Spotify has done nothing but lose money since day 1.  

How much less could they care?
    hmurchisonavon b7cornchipchemenginjfanning
  • Reply 22 of 41
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Fatman said:
    Anecdotal rumblings ...The UX on Spotify is preferred by most, Spotify's play lists are more on the mark. Spotify's free tier helps people get used to the service, create playlists and then sign-up for paid version when ready. The AirPlay2 push plus Verizon promo will help Apple's market share, but Apple needs to be on par or better.Once people are on a service they tend to stick with it.
    I prefer Apple Music. It integrates tracks with my personal library better, lock screen interaction, etc. I like not having to worry about “my music” vs “Apple Music”. it’s simply integrated together, and I can mix and match tracks on playlists, regardless of source. 
    edited April 2019 lostkiwiAppleExposed
  • Reply 23 of 41
    deminsd said:
    flydog said:
    Fatman said:
    Apple could care less about winning the subscriber count battle.  It's about making money, and Spotify has done nothing but lose money since day 1.  

Not sure where you get your insider information that you can speak for Apple, but I believe BOTH are true.  It is all about making money, but IMO, Apple is also all about numbers and being on top.  
    What? No, Apple does not worship at the Church of Market Share. they deal primarily with profit. If they get market numbers great, they’ll say so (who wouldn’t), but if they have to choose they have and will choose making money over not making money with greater market share. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 41

Entirely anecdotal, but neither of my kids or anyone I know in their immediate circle of friends uses AppleMusic. They're all on Spotify, however. In fact, one of my kids accidentally let the "free 3-month" offer expire, and was charged by Apple. He canceled it right away. 
    It's not really because Spotify is that great they have decent social features where you send your playlist or other things to friends and the biggest thing is Spotify is available everywhere.   Apple Music is available on Apple Devices,  Amazon devices and Sonos.   

It's clear from the rumblings from other vendors that Apple is going open up Apple Music.  Google let slip support for Google Assistant devices and other vendors like Savant have said "yeah Apple Music is coming". 

Make me wonder if Apple's going to add some interesting things to Apple Music and the ecosystem at WWDC. 
    Apple Music already has an android app. 
    hmurchisoncornchip
  • Reply 25 of 41
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    While this is a big milestone for Spotify, it bears noting that Q4 2018 had 96 million subscribers, ie, it took Spotify a full quarter to pick up 4 Million subscribers.

From the data I have seen, Apple has a better subscriber growth rate than that, and likely AppleTV will accelerate it.

Seems like Spotify could break even with a mere $0.50 a month increase, which I'm sure that it's customers would be happy to do that.
    edited April 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Kaltwelt? Good Lord. 
  • Reply 27 of 41
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    flydog said:
    Fatman said:

Where is your source that Apple Music is making money, or that people buy Apple hardware because of Apple Music?
  • Reply 28 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Entirely anecdotal, but neither of my kids or anyone I know in their immediate circle of friends uses AppleMusic. They're all on Spotify, however. In fact, one of my kids accidentally let the "free 3-month" offer expire, and was charged by Apple. He canceled it right away. 
    There’s a good chance Spotify will ultimately go belly up.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 29 of 41
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Latko said:
    flydog said:
    Fatman said:

Apple Music probably has even more losses (staff, office, server, bandwidth, licenses, fees) that are being covered by massive cross-subsidization. Referring to Jimmy Iovine who complalined he didn’t see how music streaming could be a viable business
    I swear some could cut and paste this  ‘Apple doesn’t care about units/subscribers they only care about profits’ line into any article. If course Apple cares. If you don’t have customers you’re not making any money. If Apple had 100M paid Apple Music subscribers I’m sure they’d be crowing about it.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So are you deeming Apple Music a failure? Anecdotally of course.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    They'll be takeover bait long before that. I'd therefore predict zero chance of Spotify going belly-up.
    chemengin
  • Reply 32 of 41

lkrupp said:
    So are you deeming Apple Music a failure? Anecdotally of course.
    I really can't help you with your reading comprehension.

Unless, of course, you're just simply being obtuse (oh, what surprise that would be...)
    chemengin
  • Reply 33 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    They'll be takeover bait long before that. I'd therefore predict zero chance of Spotify going belly-up.
    I agree.  They'll be acquired and it will eventually come down to the majors services  with little speciality services like Tidal or Qobuz or Soundcloud.  A large music service will be just another cog in the wheel of offerings for the majors .
  • Reply 34 of 41
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Spotify is a perfectly fine service, but when I gave it a try it could not handle my eclectic tastes in music anywhere near as well as Apple Music has for me thus far. Also, I take advantage of the flat $99 a year individual subscription rate, and Spotify can’t beat that.

Then there’s also the whole “doesn’t pay artists very often or well“ thing with Spotify. Their opposition to the very fair rates that are finally being given to songwriters is a suicide note to that part of the industry,
    edited April 2019 tmay
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    Apple Music has all the profits, but at least Spotify knows how to deliver much better service.
    chemengin
  • Reply 36 of 41
    nubusnubus Posts: 382member
    Latko said:
    Apple Music probably has even more losses (staff, office, server, bandwidth, licenses, fees) that are being covered by massive cross-subsidization. Referring to Jimmy Iovine who complalined he didn’t see how music streaming could be a viable business
    Apple made a rip-off that probably keeps Spotify in the red. Then Apple used their dominating position in premium phones (affluent users) to gain market share in non-related business. It seems Apple is even restricting the access to features that Apple Music can use and Spotify has already taken this to the courts. This won't end well for Apple.

I really don't like for Apple to be a company that takes the ideas of others in this way. When Apple xeroxed Xerox they did a business agreement.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    50 million payed subscribers on Apple Music, hasn’t that number been stagnant for ages now? No updates from Apple in that department, which may indicate payed subscriptions to the service have all but stopped. I don’t think Apple or Spotify are making any money from this. Great for users, not so great to good for artists I suppose and a loss maker for the actual companies that provide the service! Is this sustainable? If it ain’t the music industry is ultimately going to collapse, no? Then what, no money for anybody! Artists will only profit from live tours. Which from what I understand is where the majority of the earnings for these guys comes from nowadays anyway. Not so great for a non-concert going music lover, if these streaming services and payed download sites like iTunes are forced to shutter themselves because they’re just all losing money.
    edited April 2019 Carnage
  • Reply 38 of 41
    nubus said:
    Latko said:
    Apple made a rip-off that probably keeps Spotify in the red. Then Apple used their dominating position in premium phones (affluent users) to gain market share in non-related business. It seems Apple is even restricting the access to features that Apple Music can use and Spotify has already taken this to the courts. This won't end well for Apple.

I really don't like for Apple to be a company that takes the ideas of others in this way. When Apple xeroxed Xerox they did a business agreement.
    Please stop talking utterly vacuous fact-free nonsense.

Or, you’ll find there are plenty of forums for that. You’ll be welcome there, I am sure. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 39 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I think only Facebook would be dumb enough to buy them.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 40 of 41
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    nubus said:
    Latko said:

Apple Music uses patents pre-Spotify. Apple was the main driving force in Spotofys success. Apple promoted Spotify and helped them become who they are.

YOU KNOW NOTHING.

Apple made a business agreement with Xerox. Welcome to the real world. Every company does this.
    When Microsoft Xeroxed Mac or when Android Xeroxed iPhone there was no agreement.

@nubus ;