HBO added to Apple TV Channels in iOS & tvOS 12.3 betas

Posted:
in iOS edited May 2019
HBO has now been added as a participating channel in the revamped Apple TV app in the latest iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 betas ahead of a launch later this month.

HBO in Apple TV Channels
HBO in Apple TV Channels

Apple TV Channels is a new feature of the Apple TV app that allows the content to be viewable right from within the Apple TV app. The content will stream right from the Apple TV app as well, without having to kick users out to the third-party app. This differs from HBO Go which requires an existing TV/cable subscription and HBO Now which is also a standalone service that lives within the HBO Now app rather than inside the Apple TV app.

Throughout the beta process additional channels have been added, with the total number available sitting now at 12. This includes big names such as Showtime, Starz, HBO, Cinemax, epix, and more.

Users can subscribe to these channels a la carte from within the Apple TV app. HBO, the latest addition, will run users $14.99 a month after a free one week trial. The timing is great for Apple and HBO with the final season of Game of Thrones currently underway.

During the beta process, users are still required to launch third-party apps to play the content but this should switch to the Apple TV app once iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 is released mid-May. Additional channels will also be added prior to release.

The new Apple TV app is the biggest inclusion of iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3. There were few changes in the fourth beta and release appears imminent. This update also includes support for the upcoming PowerBeats Pro wireless headphones which are slated to be released on May 10, which lines up with that timeframe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Does it support 5.1?   Because when I launch HBO Go on my late 2017 MBP and take the USB C>HDMI output to my receiver, it only delivers 2-channel stereo.   Quite frustrating.  
  • Reply 2 of 9
    macinfishmacinfish Posts: 16member
    zoetmb said:
    Does it support 5.1?   Because when I launch HBO Go on my late 2017 MBP and take the USB C>HDMI output to my receiver, it only delivers 2-channel stereo.   Quite frustrating.  

Does Audio MIDI Setup have any additional options for the sound output? Do you get more options when clicking the "Configure Speakers..." button?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    HBO needs to up their bitrate for streaming, especially when they're airing dark episodes, like the most recent one.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So what’s the difference between the current HBO app and being a “channel” on an Apple TV?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    LenardHLenardH Posts: 21member
    lkrupp said:
    So what’s the difference between the current HBO app and being a “channel” on an Apple TV?
    You don't need the regular app and HBO content in the TV app allows offline viewing......
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lkrupp said:
    I think it's just the ability to have all of your content from different providers gathered in the same place and be able to watch them from the TV app, instead of their respective apps.

When I opened HBO Now last night and clicked on an episode, I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to share the viewing info with Apple, so that it can keep track of what I'm watching and I can resume and switch to watching on other devices and pickup where I left off.

edited May 2019
  • Reply 7 of 9
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    ugh, I hope HBO breaks their exclusivity agreement with Bell in Canada. Right now, it is impossible to legally watch HBO here without first signing up for either Bell's TV service or their own streaming service CraveTV and then you can pay extra to add HBO. Even if you are with Bell's competitor, Rogers, you need to first add Bell's CraveTV add-on and then add HBO. You have to agree to pay for an additional and mostly unwanted service before you are allowed to watch HBO legally.

Many Canadians want HBO but have no interest in also paying for Bell's streaming service on top. It's double dipping and it drives people to pirate who would otherwise be willing to pay HBO.
    edited May 2019 gregoriusm
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    I think it's just the ability to have all of your content from different providers gathered in the same place and be able to watch them from the TV app, instead of their respective apps.

When I opened HBO Now last night and clicked on an episode, I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to share the viewing info with Apple, so that it can keep track of what I'm watching and I can resume and switch to watching on other devices and pickup where I left off.

Apparently if you already have an HBO Now subscription it won’t work with the “channel” in the Apple TV app. You’d have to cancel your current subscription and re-subscribe within the TV app to make it work. Hopefully Apple explains that well otherwise they’re going to get a lot of angry customers wondering why HBO doesn’t work. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:

Apparently if you already have an HBO Now subscription it won’t work with the “channel” in the Apple TV app. You’d have to cancel your current subscription and re-subscribe within the TV app to make it work. Hopefully Apple explains that well otherwise they’re going to get a lot of angry customers wondering why HBO doesn’t work. 
    I signed up for HBO Now through my Apple TV if I recall correctly.

It's not a big deal because I won't be keeping it that long. I heard that HBO is better through Amazon (higher bitrate), than through HBO's own apps, so I'll probably move there next month to see for myself.