Apple Music falls from first to fifth in brand intimacy rankings

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2019
Apple Music has tumbled from the top spot to No. 5 in a brand intimacy study conducted by MBLM, getting beat out by the likes of Spotify and Pandora.

Apple Music
Apple Music and devices

The 2019 MBLM Brand Intimacy Study compares apps and social platforms across the industry based on the emotional bond that users have with the brands.

In 2018, Apple ranked No. 1 before toppling to the fifth spot this year. Pinterest, Spotify, Pandora, and Instagram took the remaining top four positions, in that order. Facebook, Snapchat, Uber, Airbnb, and Venmo complete the top-ten list.

"Although a ubiquitous part of our daily routine, apps & social platform brands continued to underperform in our 2019 study," said MBLM's managing partner Mario Natarelli. "These brands are perceived as free utilities. They rank lowest in the smartphone ecosystem and now trust is emerging as a key challenge as these brands try to mature. However, strong performers such as Pinterest are creating powerful bonds - especially with women."

MLBM
MBLM Brand Intimacy report for 2019.

Other statistical changes this year include an increased Brand Intimacy Quotient which measures our bond to the brands, up from 18 to 25.4 year over year. Pinterest was the top brand for women while Spotify took the top spot for men.

Apple maintains its position as the number two corporate brand after falling shy to Disney for the first time in February.

To reach its results, MBLM conducted surveys among 6,200 consumers in the U.S., Mexico and the United Arab Emirates. It attempted to measure the relationships participants had with brands as well as how strong that bond was.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    LOL.  Okay!   
    gilly33
  • Reply 2 of 40
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Talk about unscientific but ... I do think the deals Spotify has made with various cell-phone providers to offer the service for “free” (hahaha) as part of your smartphone agreement has hurt Apple Music in the eyes of the youth market. I’m not sure if more exclusives will fix that, so I think Apple needs to make more deals with carriers as a way of offering users a choice.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    red oak said:
    LOL.  Okay!   
    Would it still be as funny if Apple Music had taken the top spot in this study?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    vonbrick said:
    red oak said:
    LOL.  Okay!   
    No
  • Reply 5 of 40
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Like I’ve said many times Apple wasted $3B on Beats. And don’t throw headphones at me; that’s not why Apple bought Beats.
    elijahgdavgregchemengin
  • Reply 6 of 40
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    chasm said:
    Talk about unscientific but ... I do think the deals Spotify has made with various cell-phone providers to offer the service for “free” (hahaha) as part of your smartphone agreement has hurt Apple Music in the eyes of the youth market. I’m not sure if more exclusives will fix that, so I think Apple needs to make more deals with carriers as a way of offering users a choice.
    Isn't Apple Music a "free" perk from the #1 provider in the US (Verizon)?  
    1STnTENDERBITSgatorguychemengin
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Like I’ve said many times Apple wasted $3B on Beats. And don’t throw headphones at me; that’s not why Apple bought Beats.
    You have said it way too many times.  Repetition doesn't make it any more valid.  The business case was solid then, and still is now.  Apple bought Beats for a number of reasons, and yes, headphones was one of them.  Unless you can provide some rationale for your assessment, you should really stop making it.  In all the years you've trotted out that opinion it has all been based on "I don't like Beats therefore Apple shouldn't have acquired them"  
    lolliverdysamoriatmaychasmpscooter63anantksundaramAppleExposed
  • Reply 8 of 40
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    red oak said:
    vonbrick said:
    red oak said:
    LOL.  Okay!   
    No
    But it took the 1st spot in 2018.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 9 of 40
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    I am proud to have an intimate relationship with Apple Music. End of story.
    lolliverchasm
  • Reply 10 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Just put on some. Barry White 
  • Reply 11 of 40
    I love Spotify and feel more connected to it. Better algorithms, better recommendations. Knows me better. My AM year expired in April, didn’t care to renew. 

👍🏻
    designrholmstockd
  • Reply 12 of 40
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    vonbrick said:
    red oak said:
    LOL.  Okay!   
    Yes. The very term “brand intimacy” is kind of ... creepy. I’ve been a brand fan at times in my life, and they always end up disappointing and then angering me (Apple included).
    dewmepscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Brand...what?  
    kiltedgreen
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    vonbrick said:
    red oak said:
    LOL.  Okay!   
    deminsd said:
    chasm said:
    urahara said:
    red oak said:
    vonbrick said:
    red oak said:
    LOL.  Okay!   
    No
    Waste of time, guys. These people are blinded by the Apple logo. It’s like a religion to them.
    holmstockdchemenginAppleExposed
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    vonbrick said:
    red oak said:
    LOL.  Okay!   
    deminsd said:
    chasm said:
    urahara said:
    red oak said:
    vonbrick said:
    red oak said:
    LOL.  Okay!   
    No
    Waste of time, guys. These people are blinded by the Apple logo. It’s like a religion to them.
    designrholmstockdchemenginAppleExposed
  • Reply 16 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Riiight. But Apple didn’t sell off the hardware and it makes money off the headphones. 

And brand intimacy doesn't pay the bills. 
    edited May 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Good to know you’re still wrong. Let me direct you to the last few years’ of Apple’s financial statements and the growth of wearables ... let’s see how many billions more than three they’ve made ...
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 18 of 40
    deminsd said:
    On select (read: expensive) plans, yes.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    I’ll tell you I’ve recently started with Apple Music after a couple years quitting, and it’s not any better, just the same.

It’s really, extremely irritating to be playing a playlist/album in my car, go into store, come back, hook iPhone back up and it HAS LOST WHERE IT LEFT OFF!?!? It will either play the first song in my library (alphabetically), or an often played album. (Sometimes this happens when leaving house and WiFi, when streaming over cell is turned off, it just stops and gives me a message about no WiFi, ridiculous, figure this out Apple, make this user experience smooth, not interrupted, O.M.G. W.T.F?). No other music streaming app I’ve used does this. This is sooo 2007...how is it apple has still not fixed this since 2015? This is one reason I quit Apple Music.

so, if we’re talking “intimacy” ratings, meaning emotional connection, yeah, Apple needs to fix some major issues like this.
    rogifan_newLatkoElCapitanpaisleydiscoelijahgchemengin
  • Reply 20 of 40
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    chasm said:
    Good to know you’re still wrong. Let me direct you to the last few years’ of Apple’s financial statements and the growth of wearables ... let’s see how many billions more than three they’ve made ...
    The Watch and AirPods along with their H1 chip came out of the Beats acquisition? Who knew?
    edited May 2019 rogifan_newAppleExposed