Apple once more surpasses $1 trillion market cap, aided by service hopes & successes

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited May 2019
Apple on Wednesday once again achieved a $1 trillion market valuation, a milestone supported by investor confidence in new services, better than expected iPhone sales, and hopes for future hardware.

NASDAQ

The company's market cap hit $1 trillion during the day's NASDAQ trading, thanks to share prices peaking at $213 at 1:00 A.M. Eastern Time. Apple became the first U.S. company to reach the $1 trillion mark in August 2018, riding high on a strong quarterly earnings report, similar to Tuesday's results.

That pole position was relatively short-lived, since while Apple shares rose as high as $232.07 in October, they were eroded to $157.92 by January. On Jan. 3 they took a massive single-day plunge to $142.19, driven by the company's warning that it would miss December-quarter guidance by billions of dollars. iPhone sales were down 15 percent year-over-year, most heavily savaged in China.

Analysts and investors appear to have regained confidence, if by looking past the iPhone to products like wearables and accessories, such as AirPods, the Apple Watch, and its anticipated augmented reality headset.

Above all though the company is expected to benefit from its growing services business. This includes Apple Music, AppleCare, iCloud, iTunes, and the App Store, plus its fledgling video streaming and Apple News subscriptions, premiering at a March 25 press event. While those could amount to billions in extra revenue per year once subscriber numbers take off, the real value is thought to be in locking people into the Apple ecosystem, even if some services are available on third-party platforms like Android, Amazon Alexa, and Windows. Apple gives preferential treatment to first-party services -- Apple Music is the only on-demand music option with a full set of Siri controls, for example.

Securities and Exchange Commission paperwork expected later on Wednesday, updating Apple's active share count, may change the valuation. Apple is in the midst of several buyback programs, and has announced a new $75 billion effort as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member

Apple on Wednesday once again achieved a $1 trillion market valuation, a milestone supported by investor confidence in new services, better than expected iPhone sales, and hopes for future hardware.

The company's market cap hit $1 trillion during the day's NASDAQ trading, thanks to share prices peaking at $213 at 1:00 A.M. Eastern Time. Apple became the first U.S. company to reach the $1 trillion mark in August 2018, riding high on a strong quarterly earnings report, similar to Tuesday's results.

A share price of $213 doesn't get Apple back to a market cap of $1 trillion. As of March 30th Apple had about 4.607 billion shares outstanding. That share count would need a share price of about $217 for the market cap to be $1 trillion.

Later today we'll get a more recent outstanding share count which is likely to be lower and require and even higher share price for a $1 trillion valuation.
    1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 2 of 14
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Damn no good for people like me waiting on doom articles so I can buy at a discount. Even though Apple at 1T is still a deep discount.
    genovelle
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    Cue the millionaires who own AAPL shares and traverse this forum.

/s
  • Reply 4 of 14
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Johan42 said:

/s
    If AAPL had a stock price valued like Apple should be valued then I would be a millionaire. But unfortunately I am well short of that goal.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    carnegie said:

A share price of $213 doesn't get Apple back to a market cap of $1 trillion. As of March 30th Apple had about 4.607 billion shares outstanding. That share count would need a share price of about $217 for the market cap to be $1 trillion.

Later today we'll get a more recent outstanding share count which is likely to be lower and require and even higher share price for a $1 trillion valuation.
    Really? So what? 
  • Reply 6 of 14
    lkrupp said:
    carnegie said:

Really? So what? 
    Are you asking me why I tried to correct some information in the OP which was inaccurate?
    avon b7anantksundaramchemengin
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    carnegie said:

As of April 14, (and obviously, before today's 10Q) Apple has 4.72 billion shares outstanding. Where are you seeing 4.6B?
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 8 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    carnegie said:
    lkrupp said:
    carnegie said:

Really? So what? 
    Are you asking me why I tried to correct some information in the OP which was inaccurate?
    Yes, thats exactly what I’m asking. And the administrator of this blog appears to be questioning your figures now too.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    carnegie said:

As of April 14, (and obviously, before today's 10Q) Apple has 4.72 billion shares outstanding. Where are you seeing 4.6B?
    It's in the PDF from Apple's press release from yesterday. It's also in the 8-K which Apple filed yesterday.

If you search either one of those documents for "outstanding" you should find that Apple had 4,607,284 (x 1,000) shares outstanding as of March 30, 2019.

We'll get a more recent outstanding share count later today in the 10-Q which you refer to. The 4.72 billion was as of January 18, 2019.
    1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 10 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Johan42 said:

/s
    Why the /s?

There are many people here who have held AAPL for many years and I remember one member in particular, who I haven't seen for a long time actually, who held a great number of AAPL shares, easily millionaire level. I saw the proof some years ago.
    anantksundaramlolliverAppleExposed
  • Reply 11 of 14
    The updated outstanding share count is 4,601,075,000 as of April 22, 2019. So... not much of a drop between March 30th and April 22nd.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    If this is what ‘Doomed’ looks like, I think some of Apple’s competitors would like to have some of it.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    lkrupp said:
    carnegie said:
    lkrupp said:
    carnegie said:

Really? So what? 
    Yes, thats exactly what I’m asking. And the administrator of this blog appears to be questioning your figures now too.
    Turns out the figures were absolutely correct.  It seems that AI and a few other sites re-reported the info without checking the data.
    https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/02/aapl-stock-buybacks/
  • Reply 14 of 14
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Johan42 said:

/s

You really hate successful people don't you?

No wonder you bash Apple too.