Full-screen Touch ID could come to the iPhone with acoustic fingerprint imaging

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    I've found Face ID doesn't work as well without my glasses. Also I have to bring the phone in front of my face instead of a discrete touch with my finger and glance down at the phone. In meetings and other places Face ID is much more obvious and intrusive. 

I too think both would be the ideal. 
    SpamSandwichcornchipdysamoria
  • Reply 22 of 35
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    elijahg said:
    spheric said:
    Don't others have ultrasonic fingerprint readers? The problem is that they're really easy to fool with a 3D texture, since they have no way to discern actual living tissue the way the Touch ID sensor does. 
    Nor does Touch ID do so. No idea how secure the acoustic fingerprint sensors are, but they're damn fast.
    That’s an old hoax. 

“The one minute video shows someone using their index finger to register Touch ID on a newly set-up iPhone 5s. Once the setup has been completed, they then apply a tape to their middle finger which, presumably, contains a transfer of the index fingerprint. That unlocks the phone.”

How do we know that the middle finger is not already registered? Since Touch ID is electric field based it can also work behind that tape on the middle finger.
    Here's some more proof it's not infallible/hoax. It's ok, you don't have to defend every minute thing that isn't perfect about Apple. They aren't doomed if you concede occasionally. Touch ID is good enough security despite being foolable through a convoluted method.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Touch ID’s problem isn't “false positives” its false negatives.
    Touch ID is completely unusable when you really work, that is, not having a desk job.
    I found that out after being ousted by the software company I worked for and got a bit serious about building things.
    macplusplusdysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 35
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Surely Apple wouldn’t be able to match the genius of Android vendors and implement such innovation of putting an in-display sensor in the display.

Actually the smart move would be to activate the rear glass panel so the phone would just know the user/holder was authentic.

All of this show’s the smartphone has come to the end of its development cycle.  As soon as micro-LEDs allow bi-directional displays (with a virtual lens signal processor) for an in-display camera, it’s done.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    spheric said:
    Don't others have ultrasonic fingerprint readers? The problem is that they're really easy to fool with a 3D texture, since they have no way to discern actual living tissue the way the Touch ID sensor does. 
    Nor does Touch ID do so. No idea how secure the acoustic fingerprint sensors are, but they're damn fast.
    That’s an old hoax. 

“The one minute video shows someone using their index finger to register Touch ID on a newly set-up iPhone 5s. Once the setup has been completed, they then apply a tape to their middle finger which, presumably, contains a transfer of the index fingerprint. That unlocks the phone.”

How do we know that the middle finger is not already registered? Since Touch ID is electric field based it can also work behind that tape on the middle finger.
    Here's some more proof it's not infallible/hoax. It's ok, you don't have to defend every minute thing that isn't perfect about Apple. They aren't doomed if you concede occasionally. Touch ID is good enough security despite being foolable through a convoluted method.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220130308838%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20130308838&RS=DN/20130308838

It is a capacitive sensor, not optical one, that cannot be fooled with a playdoe imprint as that bozo insults our intelligence.

“[0003] Fingerprint sensing technology has become widespread in use and is often used to provide secure access to sensitive electronic devices and/or data. Generally, capacitive fingerprint sensors may be used to determine an image of a fingerprint through measuring capacitance through each pixel of a capacitive sensor. The higher the capacitance, the nearer the surface of an adjacent or overlying finger to the pixel. Thus, fingerprint ridges provide a higher capacitance in an underlying pixel than do fingerprint valleys. There are other types of fingerprint sensors, such as optical sensors. ”

Any analog event can be fooled/reproduced with adequate amount of research and engineering but not like those bozos claim to have achieved.
    edited April 2019 netmage
  • Reply 26 of 35

"Face ID still has some flaws that Touch ID continues to be better at, such as unlocking the iPhone without looking at it , or with it still stored in the user's pocket."

That doesn't make Touch ID "better". Reaching into your pocket for something else, or to adjust the position of the phone in your pocket, and accidentally "unlocking the iPhone without looking at it", only wastes battery by turning on the screen while the iPhone is in your pocket (without you being aware of it).

And in general, "unlocking the iPhone without looking at it", even if the iPhone isn't in your pocket, doesn't make much sense. People need to look at their iPhones when they use them (if you can't see the screen it's impossible to use any apps).

edited April 2019 spheric80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 27 of 35
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    elijahg said:
    spheric said:
    That’s an old hoax. 

The CCC is pretty much beyond reproach. That’s probably not a hoax, but it’s pretty damn involved to get working. 

Thanks, Elijah, for bringing it up: I’d forgotten about that. 
  • Reply 28 of 35
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I do hope they bring it back, and keep both options. I've mentioned before, I know of use cases where FaceID is impractical, and situations where TouchID is problematic. (And, for that matter, [i]vice versa[/i].)

Plus, let us require both for at least some actions. I need to be actively looking at the camera, and have my registered finger on the TouchID sensor to authorise payments, or App Purchases. The double tap on the side button is a real pain. (No, you don't need it for PayWave, but you do for using Apple Pay in other contexts.)

dysamoria
  • Reply 29 of 35
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    “...tat can ruin...” Seriously? PROOFREAD!

Also “...ruin the clean appearance...” The use of “clean” in describing design is really arbitrary and overused. You want truly “clean”? Blank piece of polished transparent glass with no buttons, electronics, engravings... or a sheet of paper with no lines or texture. Removing “stuff” to have “minimalism” for the sake of “clean design” is a ridiculous fad that needs to stop.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    FaceID + TouchID as username and password.

• Reply 31 of 35
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,120member

Touch ID could make a return to the iPhone without requiring a fingerprint reader in a home button tat can ruin the clean appearance of the smartphone's screen
    The presence of the home button on my 7 in no way, shape or form, "ruins" the appearance of my phone, thanks.  I don't have any other phone against which to directly compare it, but using Touch ID for payments is as convenient as I need.  The motions I've seen others using seem more awkward to me.

As for unlocking my phone, neither Touch ID nor Face ID is ever going to be used for that purpose.  Never.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    So, would this be able to work with a screen protector?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So, would this be able to work with a screen protector?
    I understand it barely works on the Samsung phones, so it may be a safe bet such a screen would be impeded by a cover.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    I wanted to quote myself but can not :-)

I was thinking about it and it can be targeted for as well low cost iPad and iPad mini, maybe even Watch and who know it can be built into track pad of future ARM Macbook.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Since Apple announced support for a dedicated WatchOS App Store at WWDC, it makes sense for an in-screen fingerprint sensor to be added to the new Apple Watch 5 (and not a future iPhone).