AirUnleashed is a three-device Qi charging pad with Apple Watch compatibility

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
AirPower may be gone but that hasn't stopped look-alikes, with AirUnleashed being the latest in offering a simplified version of Apple's unreleased Qi charging mat to consumers.

AirUnleashed
AirUnleashed

AirUnleashed is a Qi-certified wireless charging mat that can charge iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods simultaneously. With just a quick look, many would confuse AirUnleased for AirPower. It has a rounded, stark white design that is 188mm wide and only 12mm thick.

Founders Hakim Sugito and Gerard Nieuwenhuis saw an opportunity to mimic what Apple was trying to do but with a simplified design. "By taking the technical design of the AirPower, and radically simplifying it, we managed to make a wireless charging mat that can deliver what Apple originally promised," they say.

Simplified is right, as while from a high-level AirUnleashed looks like a dead-on ringer for AirPower, it lacks the biggest features that Apple promised. Instead of 30+ charging coils, AirUnleashed only uses three coils side-by-side, requiring devices to be placed in specific spots to receive a charge. Apple was attempting a charging mat filled with coils so that a device could be placed anywhere on the mat.

AirUnleashed Apple Watch location
AirUnleashed Apple Watch charging dimple

Apple Watch also can't be placed haphazardly as with AirPower, but instead needs to be placed on a subtle dimple in the center.

AirUnleashed does not come bundled with a charger. Users will have to provide their own, or purchase one separately when an order is placed for AirUnleashed.

AirUnleashed
AirUnleashed

Still, AirUnleashed can charge all three of your daily Apple devices at once with a clean design similar to the defunct AirPower at a price point that is likely below what Apple was going to hit.

If you want to pick one up, you can do so from the manufacturer's website for $99 or $108 with a fully compatible QuickCharge 3.0 wall charger bundled.

Apple canceled AirPower at the end of March citing quality issues meeting its own standards. If AirUnleashed isn't your cup of tea, check out AppleInsider's recommendations for other excellent multi-device wireless charging alternatives.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Did you guys review a unit or just screenshot low res pictures from the AirUnleashed website to put on your article? This is just a mat with 2 Qi coils and a embedded Apple Watch charger in the middle. It lookd low quality and very sketchy judging by their website...
    racerhomie3mwhiteforgot usernameflyingdpwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    gutengel said:
    Did you guys review a unit or just screenshot low res pictures from the AirUnleashed website to put on your article? This is just a mat with 2 Qi coils and a embedded Apple Watch charger in the middle. It lookd low quality and very sketchy judging by their website...
    We don't have a review unit yet, but we are familiar with the manufacturers. We've asked for a review unit, and we'll see what happens.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Having an Apple Watch charger included in the mat is a great touch. Looking forward to your review!

For the life of me I don’t know why Apple didn’t just scale back the AirPower to be something more like this. Sure, it would have been a technology breakthrough to have it so that you could place anything anywhere, but an Apple-quality version of AirUnleashed would likely have been priced around the same, and more than done the job.
    forgot usernamen2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Is this thing even Qi Certified?
    gutengelbshank
  • Reply 5 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Did no one find it unusual their site doesn’t even specific the IO for the input? Is it Lightning? USB-C? USB micro? Who knows?
    gutengelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    Not sure if this is of good quality, you should have waited until you have one in hand and tested it yourself. This is just an ad. 

Still, a single place to charge all three devices that we use daily and continuously would be a great product to have. 
    StrangeDaysn2itivguychaickagutengeltokyojimuurahara
  • Reply 7 of 28
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    gutengel said:

Unleashing the Unreleased

More than a year after their announcement, Apple cancelled the AirPower.

The AirUnleashed is for all the disappointed Apple fanboys (and girls); a wireless charging mat that can simultaneously charge three of your favourite Apple devices; an iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods.

This turned me off immediately. ...
    Good question...

AirUnleashed is a Qi-compatible wireless charger suitable for:
    • iPhone XS
    • iPhone XS Max
    • iPhone XR
    • iPhone X
    • iPhone 8 Plus
    • iPhone 8
    • Wireless Charging Case for AirPods
    • Apple Watch Series 3
    • Apple Watch Series 4
    I am not sure what Qi-compatible is??
    chaicka
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Useless Message PosterUseless Message Poster Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    I too was wondering what the input was. Guessing it's mini or micro USB - would love it to be USB-C (doubtful) and would be OK with Lightning. Or is it attached and not pluggable on the mat side? Why do we have to guess?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Did no one find it unusual their site doesn’t even specific the IO for the input? Is it Lightning? USB-C? USB micro? Who knows?
    Anytime you buy wireless charger, make sure spec wise(future proof) it compares to Satechi Qi-Certified Type-C PD & QC Wireless Charger 7.5W/10W Compatible with iPhones, Samsung Galaxy,etc. Bottom-line, drop any Qi compatible product on it and it does fast charges.
    forgot username
  • Reply 10 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Line 3 above.

AirUnleashed is a Qi-certified wireless charging mat that can charge iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods simultaneously.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    I too was wondering what the input was. Guessing it's mini or micro USB - would love it to be USB-C (doubtful) and would be OK with Lightning. Or is it attached and not pluggable on the mat side? Why do we have to guess?
    Exactly. 

But since the most common devices on the mat (iPhone, AirPods) use Lightning, I'd make the case that this is more useful than the other interfaces, since I have that cable plugged in already, in my travel bag, etc.
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Check this one out http://hardciderlabs.com

• Reply 13 of 28
    It uses a standard USB 2.0 or 3.0 wall charger with an output current of minimal 2A at 5V (10W).  You can't use a standard iPhone charger since it only outputs at 5W.

The info is on the site, only it's in a none obvious place.  Bottom of page.  Left hand side.  Click Support.   There's also a .pdf user guide with more info. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0093/0650/5278/files/airunleashed_user_guide_3044-1-en.pdf?655  Admittedly, their site UX is terrible, but the info is there.  

Someone else asked if they were Qi certified.  Educated guess? No it is not Qi certified.  It does say that it can charge Qi certifiied devices but curiously doesn't say that it is Qi certified.  Worryingly, this thing isn't registered with the Wireless Power Consortium.  If it's not registered with the WPC it cannot be Qi certified.  I think that's why it says Qi compatible.  AI article may have inadvertently conflated certified and compatible.

You can search the WPC for any Qi certified product.   The database is searchable and sortable.   https://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/

• Reply 14 of 28
    mike1 said:
    Line 3 above.

AirUnleashed is a Qi-certified wireless charging mat that can charge iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods simultaneously.

I'm pretty sure that's an assumption by AI and not a fact.  AirUnleashed only claims to be Qi compatible.  It's not registered with the WPC (not that I could find) so it can't be certified.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    Hey have you guys gotten any word on the Slice Pro? That new one with 6 coils counting the one for the watch? Maybe you could request a review unit from them now too. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 16 of 28
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    The androiderz will LOVE THIS!!
  • Reply 17 of 28
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    mike1 said:
    Line 3 above.

I'm pretty sure that's an assumption by AI and not a fact.  AirUnleashed only claims to be Qi compatible.  It's not registered with the WPC (not that I could find) so it can't be certified.
    Agreed.. I replied a bit earlier with a copy and paste from the manufacturer website. It is only Qi-Compatible? 

AirUnleashed is a Qi-compatible wireless charger suitable for:
    • iPhone XS
    • iPhone XS Max
    • iPhone XR
    • iPhone X
    • iPhone 8 Plus
    • iPhone 8
    • Wireless Charging Case for AirPods
    • Apple Watch Series 3
    • Apple Watch Series 4

• Reply 18 of 28
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    No, and to be fair, they don't claim that it is, at least according to their site.  It's AI that is making that claim.

To be Qi-certified, the manufacturer has to be a WPC member, have its product tested by an accredited facility, and it would appear in the WPC product registry linked above.  Unless all of this is being done under their ODM's shingle, then one must assume that the AirUnleashed is not certified.

Other than an attempt to mimic the appearance of AirPower, there is little to distinguish this thing from any other multi-coil pad, many of which are better value propositions ($99 without an adapter?  And no certification at that price point?).

It wouldn't be unfair to characterize this as an attempt to capitalize on the failure of the AirPower, and lure the gullible and indiscriminate into believing it's almost the same thing.  It does not "deliver what Apple originally promised" and "radically simplifying it" means that it lacks what would have distinguished AirPower from every other wireless charger, making it no more than an AirPower lookalike with a high price tag.

flydogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    It uses a standard USB 2.0 or 3.0 wall charger with an output current of minimal 2A at 5V (10W).  You can't use a standard iPhone charger since it only outputs at 5W.

The info is on the site, only it's in a none obvious place.  Bottom of page.  Left hand side.  Click Support.   There's also a .pdf user guide with more info. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0093/0650/5278/files/airunleashed_user_guide_3044-1-en.pdf?655  Admittedly, their site UX is terrible, but the info is there.  
    Right but that doesn't say what the mat's interface is. I realize my wall charger is going to use USB on it's side of things. What port is on the mat? Still don't see that specification.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28

Right but that doesn't say what the mat's interface is. I realize my wall charger is going to use USB on it's side of things. What port is on the mat? Still don't see that specification.
    Apologies, I wasn't clear earlier.  There doesn't seem to be an interface.  It looks as if the cord is permanently attached to the AirUnleashed.  Think HomePod cord.
    watto_cobra