Some macOS users having problems with discovery in App Store [u]

Posted:
in macOS edited May 2019
Some Mac users are having problems accessing the Mac App Store, with reports of issues accessing items on a few of the store's pages meaning they cannot see what apps are being recommended by Apple, nor charts of what apps other users are installing -- but server-side fixes are underway.

Starting from Thursday at about 1:30 P.M. Eastern Time, a small number of macOS users found they were unable to access listings on the Mac App Store's Discover tab. For those affected, the page would not show any content, aside from the section at the bottom of the page labeled "Quick Links," including the Redeem and Add Funds to Apple ID buttons.

The same issue also affects the Work page, with a similar lack of information on show for the page. Others, like the Play tab, appear to be working as normal, suggesting the problem is only for a select number of pages.

It is unclear how many users are enduring the issue with the Mac App Store. While one member of AppleInsider's team cannot access the pages, others have been able to without issue.

Based on AppleInsider testing, users are still able to access their existing downloads, as well as being able to reacquire already purchased works. The problem is also not limited to users of the current version of macOS, as users of the macOS 10.14.5 beta are also seeing similar problems, indicating it is likely a server-side issue more than local software problems.

Apple's System Status page currently displays the Mac App Store as "Available" with a green circle. As it can take a while to change, and updates aren't always timely, a later update may offer further details about the problem.

Update 3:10 P.M. Eastern Time: Apple has informed us that server-side fixes are underway, and all users should be restored to normal functionality before 6:00 P.M. Eastern Time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Just a reminder to the article author... let's remember timezones. :smile: 
    Starting from Thursday afternoon
    Only in your timezone, friend. It's still before noon here on the West Coast. :smile: 

Up here in BC, Canada, the App Store continues to work fine for me. So maybe the problem is regional?

edited May 2019 macseeker
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Come ‘on Apple. Steve would never have allowed this.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    No problems with accessing the Discover content, but if I open the Editor's Choice via "See All" and then try to navigate back yo the Discover page using the back arrow the app crashes - every time. Bug. [ macOS Mojave 10.14.4 (18E226) ]

edited May 2019
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dewme said:
    No problems with accessing the Discover content, but if I open the Editor's Choice via "See All" and then try to navigate back yo the Discover page using the back arrow the app crashes - every time. Bug. [ macOS Mojave 10.14.4 (18E226) ]

Yep, I can confirm the crash exactly as you describe. One more bug to be stomped on.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    “Sorry, but despite tracking you 24/7, we cannot identify yourself nor the region that you call from and relate it to our records, mainly for privacy reasons.
    So please have your Apple ID, AppleCare contract number, birth date, gender, and personal identification number ready before we can take your complaint that however we cannot guarantee to effectively get related to any irregularity and/or disfunctionality that we may know or not know of to the extent that it might affect purely your individual or either more cases that we sadly can’t inform you about for privacy reasons.
    In the meantime, take for granted that this intro may have taken so long that a significant  majority of disturbances may have ceased to exist or may have been repaired in the meantime, which means we will be cutting the connection now. However, be sure be you’re advised to call back if the problem might still persist. We guarantee that reconnection fees may or may not apply”
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Latko said:
    “Despite tracking you 24/7, we cannot identify yourself nor the region that you call from on the record mainly for privacy reasons.
    So please have your Apple ID, AppleCare contract number and personal identification number ready before we can take your complaint that however we cannot guarantee to effectively get related to any irregularity and/or disfunctionality that we may know or not know of to the extent that it might affect purely your individual or either more cases that we sadly can’t inform you about for privacy reasons.
    In the meantime, take for granted that this intro may have taken so long that a significant  majority of disturbances may have ceased to exist or may have been repaired in the meantime, which means we will be cutting the connection now. However, be sure be you’re advised to call back if the problem might still persist. We guarantee that reconnection fees may or may not apply”
    What on God’s earth are you babbling about? Your post makes no sense. it’s gibberish.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    lkrupp said:
    Come ‘on Apple. Steve would never have allowed this.
    Stop that.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    For the last two days, every time I've launched an app from the Mac App Store, I would get nagged by a prompt to authenticate my Apple ID credentials. It doesn't matter if I did authenticate or dismissed the prompt, if I closed and reopened the app, there it is again.