Foxconn CEO headed to Wisconsin after Trump meeting at White House

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
Terry Gou, the CEO of Apple assembly partner Foxconn and candidate for the presidency of Taiwan, has met with President Donald Trump on his visit to the United States, ahead of a visit to the controversial project in Wisconsin to build new facilities.

Foxconn's CEO, Chairman of the Board, and founder Terry Gou
Foxconn's CEO, Chairman of the Board, and founder Terry Gou

The Foxconn chief advised to Trump he would aim to be a peace-keeping leader of Taiwan if he won the country's elections, and would seek support from the United States. "If I am elected, I would be seeking to go to Washington," Gou is quoted as having advised to Trump, adding the only reason he wouldn't be able to do so would be because of the Chinese government.

Gou also claimed he would tell China to recognize the existence of the Republic of China, the official title of Taiwan, and allow it to continue to survive, reports Yahoo News.

Taiwan has effectively independent for decades, but China considers it a renegade province, with the relationship of the Taiwanese government being careful to walk a fine line between retaining its freedom and appeasing the Chinese government. While it is possible for Taiwan to formally declare its independence, this could prompt China to invade the territory, albeit at the risk of war with the United States and other major powers.

According to Gou, he told Trump of his intention to run for the Taiwanese presidency, with the response "It's a tough job."

The Foxconn head is stepping down from his post later in 2019, an announcement made earlier in April before revealing an intention to run for the country's top job. He is joining the opposition Kuomintang primaries, a party that is reportedly friendly with the Chinese government.

Gou reportedly visited the White House wearing a hat covered with flags of Taiwan and the United States, and exited with a gift of a signed coaster from President Trump's desk.

President Trump (center) breaks ground on the Wisconsin Foxconn factory in June 2018
President Trump (center) breaks ground on the Wisconsin Foxconn factory in June 2018

The Foxconn head visited Trump ahead of his planned appearance in Wisconsin, where Foxconn is building a display manufacturing facility as part of a $10 billion project. Promising approximately 13,000 local jobs, the scheme has come under fire for a lack of progress in construction.

So far, the town of Mount Pleasant has seen large sections destroyed in preparation for the plant, including the demolition of 75 homes in the area, while a plot of land bought for the facility remains unused. At the same time, infrastructure work has commenced on the Interstate 94, but mostly at the expense of the local government.

Foxconn "regularly engages with its stakeholders in state and federal government," the firm declared in a statement on Tuesday. Foxconn also advised details of what happens in the meetings would not be disclosed after the fact, citing privacy reasons. Regardless of the statement, at present, Gou is not presently on the governor of Wisconsin's schedule.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    I'm sure Trump convinced him to spend some more on smoke and mirrors...
    ronnleftoverbacon
  • Reply 2 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    China has gotten too big for their britches. The US should continue a concerted effort to sever all business ties with China and to slowly, but surely return the manufacturing base to the US, with far more automation replacing China’s vast cheap labor force.
    leftoverbacon
  • Reply 3 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    gutengel said:
    I'm sure Trump convinced him to spend some more on smoke and mirrors...
    Comments like this are why political discussion isn't allowed.  
    lkruppjbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    It will be interesting to see what comes of the meeting.  I can't imagine the President is happy with their progress.  They announced a major investment, had groundbreaking, etc.  Then, very little happened.  I didn't realize he was a candidate for the Presidency of Taiwan.  Seems to me someone was making nice with our incoming President at the time, but may not have intended to follow through.  One thing I know about Trump, like him or hate him, he doesn't like to be made to look bad.  I've heard stories of him positively ripping people's [expletive avoided] heads off over such things.  
    jbdragonleftoverbacon
  • Reply 5 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    I prefer a semi-independent Taiwan, but I really wonder if the US would defend the island if China opted to fully absorb it. In any event, Gou has a LOT of explainin’ to do about his con job in Wisconsin (not the first time Foxconn has “played” a US state, incidentally). I wonder if Trump even remembers that he and Gou broke ground on the nonexistent factory two years ago?

Just to be clear: although Trump grandstanded and exaggerated Foxconn’s deal (as he is wont to do), the blame for this rotten deal falls squarely on Republican former governor Scott Walker. He was both a rotten governor and a rotten human being.
    leftoverbacon
  • Reply 6 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    chasm said:
    I prefer a semi-independent Taiwan, but I really wonder if the US would defend the island if China opted to fully absorb it. In any event, Gou has a LOT of explainin’ to do about his con job in Wisconsin (not the first time Foxconn has “played” a US state, incidentally). I wonder if Trump even remembers that he and Gou broke ground on the nonexistent factory two years ago?

Just to be clear: although Trump grandstanded and exaggerated Foxconn’s deal (as he is wont to do), the blame for this rotten deal falls squarely on Republican former governor Scott Walker. He was both a rotten governor and a rotten human being.
    The US would be obligated to militarily defend Taiwan. What that means exactly would be above my pay grade.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    OMG, after wisconsin, any Taiwanese believe him as candidate to save them from ML China?  for the island sake, find  someone better... 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I hope he stops in for some Kopp's Frozen Custard while he's in WI. Beats the heck out of a signed coaster.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    chasm said:

The US would be obligated to militarily defend Taiwan. What that means exactly would be above my pay grade.
    It wouldn’t come to that if Gou wins the election. If China came asking for Taiwan to submit, Gou would just roll over and submit because that’s what a high level member of the CCP does.
    leftoverbacon
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    What I'm against is destroying 75 homes!!! I'm not at all a fan of Towns and city's taking people's property all in the so called name of Public Interest. But it's not to build a Road or something like that, it's to bring in Industry or whatever where they feel they can get more property tax money then they're currently getting. This is B.S. and shouldn't be allowed. These are just a few examples. http://mentalfloss.com/article/63514/7-maddening-examples-eminent-domain
  • Reply 11 of 13
    China has gotten too big for their britches. The US should continue a concerted effort to sever all business ties with China and to slowly, but surely return the manufacturing base to the US, with far more automation replacing China’s vast cheap labor force.
    While I agree with some of your sentiment, cutting ties would be counterproductive. Cutting ties will close markets for our products.

If a company wants to be a US company, protected by our courts, laws, and all the power of the US Government, they should be incentivized to bring every job opportunity to Americans first. While overseas / local manufacturing may make the most sense for some operations, our current tax codes penalize companies that manufacture on-shore compared to those who off-shore; that needs to stop ASAP.  We really need to eliminate the current tax incentives that encourage offshoring.

• Reply 12 of 13
    1st said:
    OMG, after wisconsin, any Taiwanese believe him as candidate to save them from ML China?  for the island sake, find  someone better... 
    I agree, that for the Islands sake a better candidate wins, but do you really think news about a vaporware Wisconsin factory makes is back to the mainstream news in Taiwan? How much do we hear about Foxconn operations in Vietnam or the dozens of other places where they operate?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
     SuperMicro is leaving China (for Taiwan), others should follow.

I don’t think anyone in Taiwan would ruffle China’s feathers.  Foxconn has huge factories in China and pissing China off I would think would put those factories in jeopardy.  That’s a lot of capital to lose.

Apple should work with Foxconn to move all manufacturing outside of China.  That would be a huge blow to China I would think, if not a symbolic one at the minimum. 
    edited May 2019