Apple Pay now accepted for some UK government services, wider rollout planned for 2019

Posted:
in General Discussion
The UK government is now accepting Apple Pay and Google Pay payments for select services through its gov.uk website, a change in policy that is expected to reach local governments and other institutions later this year.

Apple Pay

UK citizens with access to compatible devices can use Apple Pay and Google Pay to pay fees related to the country's Global Entry Service, basic online disclosure and barring service (DBS) checks, the Registered Traveller Service and the Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW) service, reports ITV.

Additional integration with local government, police and the National Health Service systems are due to follow later this year.

"Allowing people to pay for Government services through Apple Pay and Google Pay means they won't have to enter their credit or debit card information when making payments," said Till Wirth, lead product manager of gov.uk Pay. "This innovation will increase the convenience and security of gov.uk Pay for users and hopefully make their experience online a lot easier."

The gov.uk online payment system launched in 2016 with support for credit and debit cards and has so far logged more than 2.9 million transactions, the report said.

Minister of Implementation Oliver Dowden notes mobile payments integration enhances transaction security. Apple Pay, for example, is protected by fingerprint or facial recognition underpinned by an on-device passcode.

The new capability also delivers a streamlined user experience, as users can speed through transactions without filling out credit card or debit card authorization fields.

Apple Pay launched in the UK in 2015 with support for eight participating banks. Since then, the country's government has slowly adopted the payment system and underlying technology.

Most recently, Apple in April agreed to open iPhone's NFC stack for use with the Home Office's Brexit app, which confirms citizen status by scanning embedded passport security chips.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    The unanswered question is... Will the £30.00 limit on transactions still apply?

• Reply 2 of 16
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    The unanswered question is... Will the £30.00 limit on transactions still apply?

If you are using an NFC terminal, such as when paying for groceries then the limit will usually be in place.

For online purchases this limit is not present, at least that’s always been my experience.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Apple Pay is nearly ubiquitous in the UK, I wish Apple would stop dragging their feet and release Apple Pay cash here!

The delay is just ridiculous at this point, 90%+ of all banks and credit card operators support Apple Pay.
    chiacaladanianlostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 16
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    It's very much answered in the first sentence of the Apple Pay page on Apple's UK website:
    https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-pay/
    Apple Pay is easy and works with the Apple devices you use every day. You can make secure purchases above the £30 contactless limit in shops, apps and on the web. So it’s as simple as using your physical card, and even safer too.
    caladanianlostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 16
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    saarek said:

If you are using an NFC terminal, such as when paying for groceries then the limit will usually be in place.

For online purchases this limit is not present, at least that’s always been my experience.
    Actually, my personal experience in the UK is that retailers with poorer quality of goods and/or service, tend not to have Apple Pay and thus their NFC terminals limit the contactless payment to the £30 limit.  Those who offer a better quality of service, goods and experience have Apple Pay and thus take payment above £30 with Apple Pay devices.

I have a couple of friends and acquaintances with their retail businesses.  Each of them independently told me they have set Apple Pay on their NFC terminals at a limit of around £750 before further authorisation is required; the nature of their businesses are such that it will be exceptional to have a transaction approaching that limit.
    caladanianlostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 16

In case of online services described by the article, no. There is no limit except that set by your own bank for you. In terms of contactless card terminals, the vast majority of them do not have a limit when used with Apple Pay. 

Europe is is a very different place than the USA with regard to card payments. We’ve been chip and pin for a decade, and contactless for many years. 99.9% of card accepting retailers take contactless and therefore Apple Pay. 
  • Reply 7 of 16

In case of online services described by the article, no. There is no limit except that set by your own bank for you. In terms of contactless card terminals, the vast majority of them do not have a limit when used with Apple Pay. 

Europe is is a very different place than the USA with regard to card payments. We’ve been chip and pin for a decade, and contactless for many years. 99.9% of card accepting retailers take contactless and therefore Apple Pay. 
  • Reply 8 of 16
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    If the UK government embraces Apple more, perhaps the f'n BBC might stop being so virulently anti-Apple in all its reporting?
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 16
    WallaxWallax Posts: 8member

In my experience, it depends on the bank as well. I couldn’t purchase the new AirPods and a Milanese Loop watch strap from Apple’s site using Apple Pay. It got blocked, so I had to use my card instead. saarek said:
    Apple Pay is nearly ubiquitous in the UK, I wish Apple would stop dragging their feet and release Apple Pay cash here!

The delay is just ridiculous at this point, 90%+ of all banks and credit card operators support Apple Pay.
    I too want to know where Apple Pay Cash is too! It’s annoying me. 
  • Reply 9 of 16

• Reply 11 of 16
    DangDaveDangDave Posts: 98member
    In the EU the transaction fees that a credit card company can charge a merchant are capped a .3% for a contactless payment and 1.5% for an online payment. In the USA there are no caps and therefore our merchants are generally charged between 1.5% to 3.5% for each transaction depending on the card issuer and the cashback or points awards that the card user is getting. This is why many merchants in the USA don’t use contactless terminals and discourage credit card use. 

I like the the credit card rewards, but our merchants are getting screwed, and our banks love the extra revenue. 
  • Reply 12 of 16
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    chia said:
    Actually, my personal experience in the UK is that retailers with poorer quality of goods and/or service, tend not to have Apple Pay and thus their NFC terminals limit the contactless payment to the £30 limit.  Those who offer a better quality of service, goods and experience have Apple Pay and thus take payment above £30 with Apple Pay devices.

I have a couple of friends and acquaintances with their retail businesses.  Each of them independently told me they have set Apple Pay on their NFC terminals at a limit of around £750 before further authorisation is required; the nature of their businesses are such that it will be exceptional to have a transaction approaching that limit.
    B&Q stores have signs on their checkouts saying that their tills don't support Contactless.
    So no ApplePAy either. Dinosaurs.
    chia
  • Reply 13 of 16
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
     And I’m sure they charge a surcharge for using the service.  💩
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    All businesses would be smart to offer Apple Pay, no matter which country they're located in.

If there are two stores nearby me and they sell the same items for the same price, and store A accepts Apple Pay but store B does not, then I'm going to give my business to store A, simple as that. It's much more convenient, not to mention more secure to use either my Apple watch or iPhone to pay with using Apple Pay, and I will reward those stores that agrees with me and offers that option to their customers.

chia
  • Reply 15 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    saarek said:

Apple Pay and Apple Pay Cash are very different things despite their similar names. They use Green Dot Bank in the US for money transfers. Does Green Dot operate in the UK? If so, would that entity be able to offer the same free-to-consumer debit-based money transfers? If not, what entity is available in the UK that could and would offer this service?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Soli said:
    saarek said:

Apple Pay and Apple Pay Cash are very different things despite their similar names. They use Green Dot Bank in the US for money transfers. Does Green Dot operate in the UK? If so, would that entity be able to offer the same free-to-consumer debit-based money transfers? If not, what entity is available in the UK that could and would offer this service?
    I've never heard of them, so would assume not. In the UK there are no charges levied on the consumer for making a transfer to someone with another bank and the transfer is usually instant.

Apple would have no problem finding banks willing to work with them here, I'm sure.