Apple's 30th WWDC will take place from June 3 to June 7

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2019
Apple announced on Thursday that it will host its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose from June 3 through June 7 at the McEnery Convention Center.

The event, now in its 30th year, will give attendees insight into the future of these platforms and work alongside the Apple engineers behind the technologies and frameworks developers rely on. This year's program will feature technical sessions, hands-on labs and guest speakers to provide Apple's existing developer community and the next generation of app developers.

"WWDC is Apple's biggest event of the year. It brings thousands of the most creative and dedicated developers from around the world together with over a thousand Apple engineers to learn about our latest platform innovations and to connect as a community," said Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Our developers are incredibly passionate about creating the next generation of mind-blowing experiences for the world through apps. We can't wait to get together with them and share what's next."

Apple notes that there are more than 1.4 billion devices now running iOS, macOS, watchOS or tvOS.

Developers can apply for tickets today through March 20 at 5 p.m. PDT through the WWDC website. Tickets are issued through a random selection process, and developers will be notified of their application status by March 21 at 5 p.m. PDT. Others can live-stream the conference on the WWDC app for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV as well as through the Apple Developer website.

Up to 350 WWDC scholarships are available in 2019, providing students and members of all STEM organizations an opportunity to earn a free ticket and lodging for WWDC. Details on how to apply are now available on the WWDC website.

Apple will undoubtedly show developers what will become "iOS 13" and "macOS 10.15." The awaited redesigned Mac Pro may make an appearance as well, similar to how the iMac Pro debuted.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    WHAT!!??

When has Apple announced WWDC before their March event?! Too much Apple! I need to call in for work again!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Sooo...the keynote is when exactly? 10am PST on June 3rd?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Here come all the theories about the invite design. Remember last time how it was like "OMG CIRCULAR Apple Watch" because of "Gather Round" + Apple Park logo? Now it's going to be OMG VR glasses that literally make your head explode when someone scores a headshot against you in a game!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    ...VR glasses that literally make your head explode when someone scores a headshot against you in a game!
    Not seeing that as a proper bullet point for the marketing wags... ;^p
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Here come all the theories about the invite design. Remember last time how it was like "OMG CIRCULAR Apple Watch" because of "Gather Round" + Apple Park logo? Now it's going to be OMG VR glasses that literally make your head explode when someone scores a headshot against you in a game!
    And just to mess with people there are 4 versions of the grapic. Robot, Alien, Skeleton and DogBear.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    This has nothing to do with the earlier posters but I always find it amazing how excited people get about Apple's upcoming keynotes but they trash the company every other time of the year. This happens daily on Macrumors. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    Yet no new updates to the Mac Pro.  
  • Reply 8 of 11
    So Apple did not have any April "we screwed the pooch" chats, maybe this means we will see the new modular Mac Pro launch at WWDC, much as we saw the trashcan Mac Pro launch...?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I’ve decided to have some fun and believe the basic form factor of the new Mac Pro is hidden in the first of the invite graphics, the robot head shown here. The other three graphics (use refresh to see them at the WWDC page) are there for misdirection. ...

It will be a cube. The NeXT Cube was exactly 12 inches, the G4 Cube was about 8 inches. The graphic also tells us it will keep the rounded edges of the G4 design.

Beyond that, I don’t know. I kind of think it will tap the same series of processors as the iMac Pro, but with easy access to the socketed CPU, memory, and internal storage. The GPU and its memory will be isolated in a separate internal module and will be limited to whatever options Apple provides.

The end result won’t make the iMac Pro look bad — instead it will make the iMac Pro look like the engineering feat that it is. Sure, you’ll be able to configure a Mac Pro that outperforms the iMac Pro, but not exponentially so.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I’ve decided to have some fun and believe the basic form factor of the new Mac Pro is hidden in the first of the invite graphics, the robot head shown here. The other three graphics (use refresh to see them at the WWDC page) are there for misdirection. ...

It will be a cube. The NeXT Cube was exactly 12 inches, the G4 Cube was about 8 inches. The graphic also tells us it will keep the rounded edges of the G4 design.

Beyond that, I don’t know. I kind of think it will tap the same series of processors as the iMac Pro, but with easy access to the socketed CPU, memory, and internal storage. The GPU and its memory will be isolated in a separate internal module and will be limited to whatever options Apple provides.

The end result won’t make the iMac Pro look bad — instead it will make the iMac Pro look like the engineering feat that it is. Sure, you’ll be able to configure a Mac Pro that outperforms the iMac Pro, but not exponentially so.
    Been saying the same thing since the October 2018 Mac Event that gave us the new Space Grey Mac mini...

There it is, a larger-than-life mock-up of the new modular Mac Pro...!

They continue to tease the size factor of the outer form, while highlighting the concept of a modular aspect with the cluster of five Space Grey Mac minis, possibly indicating the true outer dimensions of the (forthcoming) modular Mac Pro...

"The GPU and its memory will be isolated in a separate internal module and will be limited to whatever options Apple provides."

Even though this is not the mini-tower / tower that everyone wants, if Apple allows end users to easily add / change the CPU / RAM / GPU & add additional 2.5" SSDs for expanded storage, AND releases updates (looking at you, GPU module) on a regular schedule, it might work...

If we are looking at a 7.7" x 7.7" enclosure with rounded corners, then the GPU may arrive in the MXM format...?

Look at the work done on the PSU in the new Space Grey Mac mini, now imagine that same horizontal footprint, but extended vertically, a larger PSU with more power...

I could see Apple using a vertical backplane (mounted at the front of the chassis) with five slots for vertical daughtercards; one for CPU / RAM / base GPU (Navi 12), one for storage (T2 & four M.2 NVMe slots, two prefilled & remaining modules initially available from Apple, until OWC steps in), one for base I/O (eight TB3 / USB-C ports, two 10Gb Ethernet ports, one 3.5mm headphone jack), two remaining slots are for GPUs and/or AI / ML specific GPUs...

So basically you are going to have three slots filled from Apple, with you deciding the level of CPU / RAM / SSDs come pre-installed...

You can BTO up the CPU / RAM / storage & you can BTO add up to two Apple-sanctioned GPUs / GPGPUs...

I would imagine bottom intake / rear exhaust Apple-designed blower fans for the CPU & various GPUs...

It is Apple after all, why would they ever give us EXACTLY what we want...! ;^p
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 11 of 11
    More thoughts on this, or are they fever dreams...?!?

So, why has Apple taken so long to replace the Mac Pro...?

Some may say the Mac Pro was slated fade away into the distance, with the iMac Pro as its successor...

Many ask as to WHY it is taking so long, a mini-tower workstation with a few PCIe slots should be easy...

My idea of the backplane with daughtercards modular Mac Pro cube still stands, but backplanes & daughtercards have been done by Apple before...

But then when one thinks of the smaller chassis size and the TDPs of current CPUs/GPUs, it seems like it would be another thermal corner for Apple to paint itself into...

UNLESS...!!!

Unless it IS a small cube with a backplane & daughtercard system...

But imagine if there were daughtercards that all had the same thing on them, and the more you added (say, up to four daughtercards...?) the more powerful the system became...!?!

Let me introduce you to the new ARM-powered modular Mac Pro...!!!

Still the same SG Mac mini style PSU (same horizontal footprint, but the full height of the chassis), with all I/O to the lower portion of the rear panel (eight TB3 / USB-C ports, dual 10Gb Ethernet. & 3.5mm headphone jack), as well as the power input...

Each daughtercard has the following:

Four A13X Bionic APUs
    64GB RAM
    2TB SSD

As one adds a new daughtercard, the system integrates the cards resources into one large homogenized pool...

A fully loaded system would consist of sixteen ARM APUs, 256GB RAM, & 8TB SSD... 

The hardware engineering & (especially) the software (both for the homogenized pool of resources AND for the transition from x64 to ARM) would take a few years, I would figure... 

So yeah, we just may be looking at the first ARM Mac with the forthcoming modular Mac Pro...!?!

Discuss...! ;^p