Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    spice-boy said:

6502 said:

China plays the long game.
    Trump plays the bluster game.

My money is on China.
    True American patriot here. Evil foreign country over a president he doesn't like.
    A true patriot calls out those that break our laws, we are a nation of laws, remember. 
    Like immigration laws?
    SpamSandwichapple ][
  • Reply 22 of 68
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    lkrupp said:

How much has 'brilliant' Trump's strategy cost the US and its citizens so far? How much money will the government invest to fight this Trade War? Just intrigued because on this side of the pond we have some Trump fans who are busy pushing a crash-out Brexit so that we can do trade deals with him.

As one of the citizens of the U.S. you mention I am willing to take some hits if it means we get a better trade deal instead of the lopsided one we have now where China exports everything to us and we export nothing to them. Whatever they actually need from us, like technology and IP, they steal. 
    Trumps strategy is not smart. Look at North Korea. Much of our growth depends on our global reach. China makes stuff that in most cases are designed by our companies. We make a lions share of the profit from those items. Tariffs only hurt us. It’s really dumb!!!  We harm our tech companies, clothing brands you name it. We hurt our auto manufacturing suppliers and even farmers where we are paying billions to bail them out and they are still failing because it’s not enough. All to look strong and level a supposed trade deficit. Why do you thing economist stopped worrying about a trade deficit? It no longer matters. In the 70s and 80s that deficit was mostly China designed clone products being dumped on our market. Now, many of our successful US products exploits their low cost manufacturing expertise to build affordable but highly profitable products they we make the profit on. Sidelining those companies may well tell China to go back to their aggressive clone only business. Multinational US companies make as much as 75% of their earnings outside the US.  Tariffs here don’t effect the rest of the world. They also don’t hurt China as much as us. Most of the goods effected kill our companies profit or increase prices. For instance. Walmart brands are designed here, build in China. When the Tariffs started they announced price increases equal to the tariffs. We pay, not China. They get their full amount. Slower sales would hurt them but us more as we hold the profit. Do you believe they will ever remove the increase. Nope, not permanently. Maybe a big sale. 

I see no upside to such a war. 
    edited May 2019 longfangGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 68
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    lkrupp said:

My money is on China.
    Interesting that some would celebrate the U.S. capitulation to a totalitarian communist regime. Everything is made in China now. How much more can the West give up? How about Ford, GM, and Chrysler move assembly to China too? And Renault, BMW, Mercedes too? 
    Unless the price of oil and shipping labour costs drops dramatically, there's no way car assembly would move to China.  Labour is nearly as cheap in Mexico, and it's a heck of a lot closer.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 68
    And this thread will close in 3... 2... 1...

I only have one thing to say: ITMFA.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Just as an FYI: the manufacturing output of the United States today is 2X what it was in the 1980s. However, there are only 1/3 the number of jobs in manufacturing as there were in the 1980s. Automation is really the biggest issue for American workers, not China. Trump is just adding insult to injury by slapping tariffs on Chinese manufactured goods that U.S. consumers end up paying for. It doesn't cost China a dime when Trump uses a tariff. 
    edited May 2019 n2itivguyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 68
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    I have serious concerns about the critical thinking skills of anyone who thinks Trump is being clever. There is no evidence in support of that.
    dysamorian2itivguy
  • Reply 27 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    And this thread will close in 3... 2... 1...

I only have one thing to say: ITMFA.
    Not gonna happen. Prepare for another 4 years of salty tears.
    apple ][
  • Reply 28 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    lmac said:
    I have serious concerns about the critical thinking skills of anyone who thinks Trump is being clever. There is no evidence in support of that.
    Because only a completely incapable person can get elected to the presidency, amirite?  /s
    apple ][GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 68
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    AAPL's only down a couple of percent today, not a big deal. The market goes up, the market goes down, every single trading day, as a matter of fact.

I see that Chinese companies are more down today, like BABA for example.

Trump is one of the few people to actually have the balls to stand up to China.

Remember when 99.9% of the media and pundits claimed that the economy was going to tank, the market was going to collapse and the world was basically going to end when Trump got elected?  :#

I pay zero attention to the cluelessly deranged these days, as your best bet is to do the exact opposite of what they claim and think.
    6502entropys
  • Reply 30 of 68
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    I do like the alliteration. 

Tension over Trump's Terrible Tariff Tweets Torpedoes Tim's Terrific Total Tally from Tuesday.

ready go
    entropys
  • Reply 31 of 68
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    6502 said:

How much has 'brilliant' Trump's strategy cost the US and its citizens so far? How much money will the government invest to fight this Trade War? Just intrigued because on this side of the pond we have some Trump fans who are busy pushing a crash-out Brexit so that we can do trade deals with him.
    It hasn't cost us anything, my life hasn't changed one bit. Meanwhile the systematic export of the means of production of most of our economy to China has cost us immensely. 
    BS. Soy and pork farmers have already lost billions and continue to lose, just for instance.
    dysamoriaGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 32 of 68
    BxBornBxBorn Posts: 74member
    I don't know, tell us because it seems like you already know. When you make comments like yours you just sound like every other uninformed politician who doesn't like the President. We seen the same crap from FoxNews with Obama and now we're seeing the same crap from the MSNBCs around Trump. Fact is, outside of senior citizens, no group is significantly worse-off today than they were 10 or 12 years ago. There are of course instances where companies close or have layoffs which are unavoidable and happen under every President. I mention senior citizens because under the new healthcare regulations the cost of medication went through through the roof - prescriptions that were $20 went up to $75+ which if you have 2 or 3 can be a significant increase.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    lkrupp said:

My money is on China.
    Interesting that some would celebrate the U.S. capitulation to a totalitarian communist regime. Everything is made in China now. How much more can the West give up? How about Ford, GM, and Chrysler move assembly to China too? And Renault, BMW, Mercedes too? 
    Who’s celebrating? GeorgeBMac is just taking odds on our idiot leader making things increasingly worse with his “artful dealing”.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 34 of 68

6502 said:

My money is on China.
    True American patriot here. Evil foreign country over a president he doesn't like.
    What’s unpatriotic about calling things as one sees them?
    n2itivguyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 35 of 68
    13485 said:
    6502 said:

It hasn't cost us anything, my life hasn't changed one bit. Meanwhile the systematic export of the means of production of most of our economy to China has cost us immensely. 
    BS. Soy and pork farmers have already lost billions and continue to lose, just for instance.
    The largest pork company in the US is owned by China. There is no excess soy or pork on the international markets. If China buys from Brazil instead of the US then those that used to buy from Brazil will now buy from the US. It is all accounted for. May take a season for this to work its way out. Meanwhile we can use the tariff money to help out the farmers temporarily.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    6502 said:

YOUR life hasn’t changed? Good for you. Are you in the upper class? I’m in poverty and Trump’s administration is affecting me negatively. My companion has cancer and her ability to get medical treatment is being threatened daily by the whole “repeal ACA” craze of the Republican Party. I could go on, but you may not actually have empathy for fellow human beings, so why waste my time.
    n2itivguyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Good ol’ Wall Street irrationality. The stock market is the stupidest thing ever devised by primates.
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 38 of 68
    dysamoria said:
    6502 said:

YOUR life hasn’t changed? Good for you. Are you in the upper class? I’m in poverty and Trump’s administration is affecting me negatively. My companion has cancer and her ability to get medical treatment is being threatened daily by the whole “repeal ACA” craze of the Republican Party. I could go on, but you may not actually have empathy for fellow human beings, so why waste my time.
    Maybe you should learn to code then.

ACA has not been repealed therefore your companion's medical crisis is directly due to the abysmal ACA itself and nothing to do with the Republican Party. And, what does this have to do with this topic - trade with China?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 39 of 68
    dysamoria said:

6502 said:

My money is on China.
    What’s unpatriotic about calling things as one sees them?
    Clearly he is rooting for China just to spite Trump. You don't need to be Captain Obvious to see that.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 40 of 68
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    6502 said:
    Appleish said:
    China will run the world by 2050 and there is nothing anyone can do to stop them.
    People said the same about Japan in the 80s, now they are nothing.
    The world’s third largest economy nothing?
    GeorgeBMac