Apple may show modular Mac Pro, new external 6K Pro display at WWDC 2019

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2019
Beyond new software, Apple may reportedly use this June's WWDC 2019 to showcase a promised modular Mac Pro and a new standalone monitor.

The 2013 Mac Pro doesn't have many upgrade options.
The 2013 Mac Pro doesn't have many upgrade options.

The monitor is codenamed "J290," and will support high dynamic range (HDR), Bloomberg said on Monday. Connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has claimed that the display could measure 31.6 inches, and incorporate mini LED backlighting.

Apple has only been "considering " premiering the new Mac Pro, said the report, the same one pointing to revamped Messages, Books, Health, and Reminders features in iOS 13.

A WWDC reveal was rumored earlier this year. The computer itself may only ship in 2020, and use a stacking system based on proprietary connectors. This would let people buy a "brain" module and only add what they need, such as GPUs or extra storage.

That would solve a common complaint about the Mac ecosystem, which is that Apple sometimes forces buyers into getting more than they need through its insistence on streamlined, all-in-one designs. It's often possible to build a speedier Windows machine for the same price, primarily because Apple often lets "pro" specifications trail behind -- the last major Mac Pro refresh was in 2013. Most Windows desktops can be upgraded at will, but how many "professional" users actually do so isn't clear.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    Like the HP Slice? www8.hp.com/us/en/elite-family/elite-slice-desktop.html ...and again we have those words "based on proprietary connectors"...
    mike54
  • Reply 2 of 100
    bsbeamerbsbeamer Posts: 77member
    Like the HP Slice? www8.hp.com/us/en/elite-family/elite-slice-desktop.html ...and again we have those words "based on proprietary connectors"...

That is the design AppleInsider has been focusing on.  Other Apple rumor sites have different theories.  Either way, they need to say SOMETHING about the MP7,1 soon.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I personally predict that whatever the new Mac Pro turns out to be it will be trashed viciously by the self-agrandized techie crowd. These types want to be able to saunter into a Fry’s or Micro Center, pick out some weird peripheral, stick it into their “Mac Pro” and have it work. That doesn’t even happen with self-assembled PCs but it will be a requirement for any new Mac Pro. You just watch and see.
    macxpressmcdavecornchipHenryDJPwatto_cobrarobomepp
  • Reply 4 of 100
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    lkrupp said:
    I personally predict that whatever the new Mac Pro turns out to be it will be trashed viciously by the self-agrandized techie crowd. These types want to be able to saunter into a Fry’s or Micro Center, pick out some weird peripheral, stick it into their “Mac Pro” and have it work. That doesn’t even happen with self-assembled PCs but it will be a requirement for any new Mac Pro. You just watch and see.
    "Some weird peripheral" like an industry standard NVMe m.2 SSD or an off-the-shelf GPU or, memory modules?  Who in their right mind would WANT to saunter into a local parts store and upgrade their storage or graphics without having to take out a 2nd mortgage?  That's just crazy thinking!  /s

But, no doubt, Apple will rely on "proprietary connectors" and glued shut modules to ensure that whatever you want to do with your new "modular Mac", you'll have to get it at the Apple Store at 3-4X the cost of a standard part.
    edited May 2019 muthuk_vanalingamRoger_Fingas80s_Apple_GuyLatkocharlesatlasdysamoriamike54cornchipHenryDJPlarz2112
  • Reply 5 of 100
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    lkrupp said:
    I don't think that Mac Pro customers want what you describe.  They just want an excellent, expandable and well design device, as HP Z-Workstations or Lenovo Thinkstations.  Apple could be a lot better than they did with the latest Mac Pro.
    edited May 2019 dysamoriaSpamSandwichlarz2112
  • Reply 6 of 100
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    I can't believe how long it takes one of the most valuable companies in the world with near endless resources so long to make a computer when they've been in the computer making business for over 40 years. It's so embarrassing. Pointless iterations of iPhone after iPhone because they sell well. The computers might sell a bit better if they updated them once in a while  :|
    deminsdbitmoddysamoriasupersonicchialmacpratikindiacornchipfotoformatrobomepp
  • Reply 7 of 100
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    There is no better time to show it. And it was postponed so it is right time not to look bad in developers eyes. Even it would ship later.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    When's the last time Apple released a proprietary connector though, ADC? If they did some stacky thing like the Slice (which p.s. looks cool as hell) I'm sure they'd just use Thunderbolt 3.
  • Reply 9 of 100
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,318member
    lkrupp said:
    Yeah versatility sucks.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 100
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    I bet this is what they will introduce. Just look at the Mac mini and TV, they clearly are inspired by that design, so it makes perfect sense for them to make a Pro model of this design stackable etc. I just hope they make the graphics card section big enough to put in new external cards when they get updated. That way a user doesn't have to buy a new section every time to get a new external card to use. Either way, I'll be looking forward to seeing what they come up with.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 100
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    deminsd said:
    lkrupp said:
    "Some weird peripheral" like an industry standard NVMe m.2 SSD or an off-the-shelf GPU or, memory modules?  Who in their right mind would WANT to saunter into a local parts store and upgrade their storage or graphics without having to take out a 2nd mortgage?  That's just crazy thinking!  /s

But, no doubt, Apple will rely on "proprietary connectors" and glued shut modules to ensure that whatever you want to do with your new "modular Mac", you'll have to get it at the Apple Store at 3-4X the cost of a standard part.
    Yup. But these proprietary connections will be great and riddled with T2 security chips to make sure your safe... lol
    Think RAM will come in glued shut module banks?
    “Need more RAM?... trade in your 32gig module for 5% of its value and get the 64gig for only $2699... but it’s special Apple Approved ram and we chipped it for your security from the RAM goblins. We talked with Pro’s and this was their biggest request... “

aknabicornchiplarz2112
  • Reply 12 of 100
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    AI Pro:
     I have no intention of ever looking inside this machine, but I want it to be bristling with SCSI ports and USB A to X. I want to be able to pick up an untested Gobsmak 800 1TB Graphics Card from Honest Don's Hardware Shack and stick it in the case because I read somewhere that's what real pros do.

Apple's real pro customer:
    I want this machine to do stuff I need it do, and then do more stuff when I need it to do more stuff. I'm too busy to care how you do it, just as long as you do it.

tmaylkruppStrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 100
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    shev said:
    I can't believe how long it takes one of the most valuable companies in the world with near endless resources so long to make a computer when they've been in the computer making business for over 40 years. It's so embarrassing. Pointless iterations of iPhone after iPhone because they sell well. The computers might sell a bit better if they updated them once in a while  :|
    That’s the thing that gets me. This has taken WAY too long. Okay I’ll  give them that Intel has screwed them over with processor delays, but still. They've been stringing people on for a few years. And that’s after sitting on the 2013 model without seemingly made any plans at all to upgrade beyond that model. What was that quote from Jobs, Real Artists,Ship.
    dysamoriasippincidercornchiplarz2112
  • Reply 14 of 100
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:
    AI Pro:
     I have no intention of ever looking inside this machine, but I want it to be bristling with SCSI ports and USB A to X. I want to be able to pick up an untested Gobsmak 800 1TB Graphics Card from Honest Don's Hardware Shack and stick it in the case because I read somewhere that's what real pros do.

I want this machine to do stuff I need it do, and then do more stuff when I need it to do more stuff. I'm too busy to care how you do it, just as long as you do it.

...said the guy with an iPhone, so he really understands pros.
    Name 1 company or individual that fits your profile of this ‘real pro customer’... 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 100
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    30+ inches, mini LED backlighting, 6K resolution... Is the display going to cost $1999.99 itself...?

I anticipate another iMac Pro: too spendy for prosumers, a bit of a reach for working pros, too small for practical heavy use (heat issues/throttling), and questionable modularity (the more proprietary, the more likely to be a failure).

The large metal-cased Mac Pro of last decade was pretty much what they should be making today. It can be made a little smaller, a bit quieter, not stupidly overpriced, and lots of Mac Pro people would be happy.
    sippinciderAI_liaspratikindiawelshdogirelandwindlashercornchip
  • Reply 16 of 100
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    DAalseth said:
    shev said:
    That’s the thing that gets me. This has taken WAY too long. Okay I’ll  give them that Intel has screwed them over with processor delays, but still. They've been stringing people on for a few years. And that’s after sitting on the 2013 model without seemingly made any plans at all to upgrade beyond that model. What was that quote from Jobs, Real Artists,Ship.
    Intel delays haven't stop Dell, HP and Lenovo from updating their workstations.  This one is completely on Apple.  
    edited May 2019 deminsdDAalsethpratikindiawelshdogSpamSandwichlarz2112
  • Reply 17 of 100
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    When's the last time Apple released a proprietary connector though, ADC? If they did some stacky thing like the Slice (which p.s. looks cool as hell) I'm sure they'd just use Thunderbolt 3.
    You're forgetting about the Apple Proprietary NVMe SSD connector they use in Macbooks and the 2013 Mac Pro.  One of the latest examples of over-engineering a connector that serves no purpose instead of using an industry standard.
    cornchip
  • Reply 18 of 100
    I can tell you that the Film/TV and Advertising Post Production world has moved on. We built our business on Apple but Apple is a day late and an overpriced dollar short. I cant run my business waiting for Apple to get around to maybe, someday upgrading a 7 year old piece of hardware. tech changes too fast. I didnt leave Apple, Apple left me
    edited May 2019 deminsdsippinciderAI_liaslmacpratikindiawelshdogirelandcornchipSpamSandwichsarrica
  • Reply 19 of 100
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bitmod said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:
    AI Pro:

...said the guy with an iPhone, so he really understands pros.
    Name 1 company or individual that fits your profile of this ‘real pro customer’... 
    Alex Lindsay of Pixel Corps and he has said almost exactly that on MacBreak Weekly many times. And he’s a real, real pro, having worked at Lucasfilm and then started Pixel Corps. Lindsay regularly criticizes Apple over their pro hardware (or lack thereof) but he stated he doesn't have the time to be swapping out graphics cards and fiddling with drivers. He has actual work to do and he wants Apple to produce a pro machine that does the job and is maintainable/upgradeable... EASILY. AI pros, on the other hand, would like to fiddle and experiment and argue over which graphics card can complete a task 5 milliseconds faster than another card. And no, the AI pros are not real pros because if they were they wouldn’t have the time to post on a measly tech blog trashing Apple all the time. They’d be working their asses off to meet deadlines and complete customer projects on time.
    edited May 2019 LordeHawkStrangeDayswatto_cobraphotography guy
  • Reply 20 of 100
    sippincidersippincider Posts: 410member
    If the proprietary modules are real Apple might as well AirPower the whole thing.