An AppleInsider history lesson.

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

It's my second summer.

Of course, now I remember. Time just flies. I can't believe it's already been nearly three years since I left NYC for DC. And I still haven't hosted the BBQ-AirPort party that we talked about at the time.

Quote:

It wouldn't really concern me if complete and total morons weren't starting to mention the fact that they worked with the World Bank on loans to single mothers in Bangladesh.

Is it possible that they had connections or lucked out by being in the right place at the right time? How many resumes and cover letters have you sent out? How many follow-up calls have you made? E.g. last year, I figured out who was deciding on my candidacy for the job I wanted and e-mailed the poor chap once a week until he caved. I assume you've already discussed your situtation and interests with your carreer placement people. I don't know what else to suggest.

Quote:

Family connections are there, but not really in the areas that I want. It seems that my parents' friends and our neighbors all seem to be quite tied in with the new (republican :grumble) Maryland governor's office and cabinet. Beats me how.

Didn't somebody finance the governor's campaign? He's gotta have some cronies in your industry of choice. Maybe a job with a Republican administration is just fine for a Democrat in a bind. Not all positions are politcal either. I say it's worth a try.

Quote:

It seems, luckily that i-finance and i-biz (the two areas that I would be looking to go into) seem to be surviving the downturn nicely.

I assume you mean "i" as in international, not "i" as in iMac/Internet, right? Are you more interested in the private or in the public sector? Have you tried the French Chamber of Commerce here in DC? Have you tried to volunteer for some smaller internationally-oriented non-profits? Do you speak any other foreign languages?

Quote:

Now to not get bio-terrorized in the next few weeks...

Sure would be nice if we could avoid the mess that bio-terrorization would entail. I can't figure out what I would do in such a case. Drive north until my car runs out of gas, assuming I don't get stuck in grid-lock on the Beltway? Bunker up at my house? Heaven forbid, eat my dog? Die on the spot? All this war and terrorism crap makes you think creepy thoughts. BTW: Don't split the infinitive, i.e. it should be "not to get bio-terrorized."

Quote:

ooh. your math is... quite good.

There are tons of Jonathans at G-town. But only one with your initials. Just enter my username in the phone directory at CUA and you'll see how easy it is to invade a student's privacy.

Escher
  • Reply 102 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Of course, now I remember. Time just flies. I can't believe it's already been nearly three years since I left NYC for DC. And I still haven't hosted the BBQ-AirPort party that we talked about at the time.

Is it possible that they had connections or lucked out by being in the right place at the right time? How many resumes and cover letters have you sent out? How many follow-up calls have you made? E.g. last year, I figured out who was deciding on my candidacy for the job I wanted and e-mailed the poor chap once a week until he caved. I assume you've already discussed your situtation and interests with your carreer placement people. I don't know what else to suggest.

Didn't somebody finance the governor's campaign? He's gotta have some cronies in your industry of choice. Maybe a job with a Republican administration is just fine for a Democrat in a bind. Not all positions are politcal either. I say it's worth a try.

I assume you mean "i" as in international, not "i" as in iMac/Internet, right? Are you more interested in the private or in the public sector? Have you tried the French Chamber of Commerce here in DC? Have you tried to volunteer for some smaller internationally-oriented non-profits? Do you speak any other foreign languages?

Sure would be nice if we could avoid the mess that bio-terrorization would entail. I can't figure out what I would do in such a case. Drive north until my car runs out of gas, assuming I don't get stuck in grid-lock on the Beltway? Bunker up at my house? Heaven forbid, eat my dog? Die on the spot? All this war and terrorism crap makes you think creepy thoughts. BTW: Don't split the infinitive, i.e. it should be "not to get bio-terrorized."

There are tons of Jonathans at G-town. But only one with your initials. Just enter my username in the phone directory at CUA and you'll see how easy it is to invade a student's privacy.

Escher

I think we're starting to pollute the thread. I will keep you posted on my job-hunting efforts... Web phone directories are great things

J.
  • Reply 103 of 113
    Quote:

Thank you for explaining the full legitimacy of the knighthood you just conferred upon me, Retrograde.

Yes, my legitimacy was basically to make knighthood arbitrary or at least open to free nomination...

Now the idea of having titles conferred upon people by the high and mighty administration of AI... well, that has a real ring of legitimacy about it! Eh, Guvnors?

Although I also like the sound of "Squire" which perhaps does not need royal authorisation... and there are many such titles that can be found. Although in King Steve's eyes I'm sure we are all just AI plebs.

ps. I'm still hoping Sir Mac o' the Isles will write back to tell us all about his knighthood and perhaps supply us with a photograph or two of the ceremony.
  • Reply 104 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

I think we're starting to pollute the thread.

That's right. Let's get back to our AppleInsider History Lesson!

Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Yes, my legitimacy was basically to make knighthood arbitrary

That's the way it should be. Power to the people! But if we really wanted to be free, we shouldn't crave titles, which in turn shouldn't confer any higher status. AFAIK, the administrators decided on a relatively egalitarian system for AI, where everybody would be a member. Didn't we even drop post counts at some point in the past?

Quote:

Although in King Steve's eyes I'm sure we are all just AI plebs.

That's probably true. He probably couldn't care less about the poor chaps who waste their time on rumor-boards. On the other hand, I felt like Jobs introduced the 12-inch PowerBook just for us (actually, just for me) at his MWSF keynote. Watching the webcast, I was so touched that I had to pop open a beer and toast our king.

Back on topic! The state of AI's history these days reminds me of Francis Fukuyama's The End of History. The substantial leaks have all but been extinguished, and we are no longer making rumors history. Jobs' no-leaks ideology now dominates the Mac world.

Escher
  • Reply 105 of 113
    Quote:

That's the way it should be. Power to the people! But if we really wanted to be free, we shouldn't crave titles, which in turn shouldn't confer any higher status. AFAIK, the administrators decided on a relatively egalitarian system for AI, where everybody would be a member. Didn't we even drop post counts at some point in the past?

I must say that this has always been one of the things I too liked about this forum. While the Ars Technica style ranking of members is a cute novelty in the end I prefer the equal footing that this forum largely upholds. In many ways, my drawing attention to Sir Mac o' the Isles was a bit of a friendly tease and interest as to why our beloved Mac o' the Isles had been reborn since the blackout as Sir Mac o' the Isles. While I am known as Retrograde I do not wish a retrogressive return to feudal times of old!

Quote:

Back on topic! The state of AI's history these days reminds me of Francis Fukuyama's The End of History. The substantial leaks have all but been extinguished, and we are no longer making rumors history. Jobs' no-leaks ideology now dominates the Mac world.

Well, I admit I haven't read any of Fukuyama's work (yet I'll read the link you mention a bit later) I have heard him on the radio. But I certainly do hope this isn't the end of AI history. The very idea of an "end of history" just seems a preposterous claim at the outset (and one that didn't help Hegel much)... but I guess that is why I need to read what he says!
  • Reply 106 of 113
    Quote:

While I am known as Retrograde I do not wish a retrogressive return to feudal times of old!

Retrograde: I was just making discussion, without seriously questioning our heated agreement on the topic. The old guard, which has already established itself by contributing to AI's history, agrees on the egalitarian model. AFAICT, only the one-line-post addicts want their profile and title to reflect their posting fervor.

Quote:

The very idea of an "end of history" just seems a preposterous claim at the outset

You're absolutely right. And Fukuyama is absolutely wrong. I have no doubt about that. AppleInsider's continued survival (and temporary life on other boards), as well as our presence here, are proof that history has not ended.

To expand the topic of this thread, does anybody remember details of the transition from MacNN Reality to AppleInsider? I seem to remember that RFI (Recon for Investors), or some other acronym-site, was engaged in the rumors business long before Reality. Nonetheless, Reality was the first site that got me absolutely hooked on Apple rumors.

Escher
  • Reply 107 of 113
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

G-place.

G-Spot? huh? Its a myth!!
  • Reply 108 of 113
    My dearly noble Retograde...

My apologies for no' replying sooner - what wi' one thing and anither. As ye will appreciate being a knightly peer o' The Realm carries wi' it heavy responsibilities and when it's no' rescuing damsels, hoving by wells and slaying dragons its' vespers and vigils and whatnot.

Onyways - just tae quell ony suspicions aboot the probity o' my rise through the ranks I (noblesse oblige) hae taken the liberty o' obtaining a snapshot taken by Her Majesties First Royal Under Equirry during the ceremony. Unfortunately I havnae a clue how tae post it ontae these pages, but it's right here, stamped wi' the Royal Proclamation o' Authenticity. If somebody might explain tae me how tae post it I will gladly do so.

Noo - I see some ither folks here are toying wi' the idea o' knighthood. Well - let me tell ye's a' that it's no jist plain sailing. The first method ye might want tae pursue is the knights'R'us.com website: a wee bit pricey but no' bad for bargain basement MBE's and KCBE's. Alternatively ye may wish tae visit The Palace on "Take Your Chances Day" when for 50 guineas or so ye may kneel afore HRH QEII and depending on what kind o' mood she's in ye either get knighted wi' the sword or simply stabbed in the giblets.

I trust that this information will be helpful and that in time we may form a veritable roond table's worth o' AI nobility.
  • Reply 109 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Mac o' the Isles

My dearly noble Retograde...

My apologies for no' replying sooner - what wi' one thing and anither. As ye will appreciate being a knightly peer o' The Realm carries wi' it heavy responsibilities and when it's no' rescuing damsels, hoving by wells and slaying dragons its' vespers and vigils and whatnot.

Onyways - just tae quell ony suspicions aboot the probity o' my rise through the ranks I (noblesse oblige) hae taken the liberty o' obtaining a snapshot taken by Her Majesties First Royal Under Equirry during the ceremony. Unfortunately I havnae a clue how tae post it ontae these pages, but it's right here, stamped wi' the Royal Proclamation o' Authenticity. If somebody might explain tae me how tae post it I will gladly do so.

Noo - I see some ither folks here are toying wi' the idea o' knighthood. Well - let me tell ye's a' that it's no jist plain sailing. The first method ye might want tae pursue is the knights'R'us.com website: a wee bit pricey but no' bad for bargain basement MBE's and KCBE's. Alternatively ye may wish tae visit The Palace on "Take Your Chances Day" when for 50 guineas or so ye may kneel afore HRH QEII and depending on what kind o' mood she's in ye either get knighted wi' the sword or simply stabbed in the giblets.

I trust that this information will be helpful and that in time we may form a veritable roond table's worth o' AI nobility.

Can somebody translate this? I seem to have misplaced my Mike Myers Translation Handbook.
  • Reply 110 of 113
    Apart frae the pioneering work o' Scottie frae The USS Enterprise, Mr Myers' mastery o' the mither tongue is surely second tae none, for a non Scot at least. Ye see, brithers and sisters, the secret o' sucess in this life is doon tae three things (1) Scottishness, (2) Grooviness and (3) Having 'Sir' afore yer name.

Yours graciously, Sir Mac o' the Scottish Western Isles wi' abundant grooviness.
  • Reply 111 of 113
    Sir Mac o' the Isles! How could I have missed your post from before?! If I remember correctly though i was visiting London and thumbing my nose at Tony Blair and his posse of war mongers

It is great to hear from you again in your characteristic idiosynchrasy and sprightly tincture I am most intrigued to hear more of your meritorious rise through the ranks and would love to see said photographs of the occasion! This page gives instructions as to imbedding images into a post and if you don't have anywhere to host your pictures (this might be the problem?) I might be able to oblige if you email me at the address given in my Member Info section. You may even want to send the pic to the AI Community site...

Looking forward to the pics and glad to have you back "'round the table" again and to hear that you are managing to endure the immense responsibility and liability of your knighthood!
  • Reply 112 of 113
    Maist gallant Retrograde...

I hae done as you suggest and emailed a snapshot o' my knightly ordination tae the AI Album Authorities so hopefully it willnae be long afore my credentials are suitably aired and established.

Your maist humble servant,

Sir Mac o' the Isles.
  • Reply 113 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Mac o' the Isles

Maist gallant Retrograde...

I hae done as you suggest and emailed a snapshot o' my knightly ordination tae the AI Album Authorities so hopefully it willnae be long afore my credentials are suitably aired and established.

Your maist humble servant,

Sir Mac o' the Isles.

Looking forward to the updating of the AppleInsider Community Web Page! *nudges, pokes, prods Leonis*