B&H Payboo Card to refund sales tax on all orders [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
B&H Photo just unveiled the Payboo Credit Card, which offers shoppers a tax-equivalent loyalty reward to counteract sales tax assessed on purchases. This new marketing initiative sets B&H apart from competitors, such as Best Buy and Amazon, that collect sales tax on purchases in all applicable states without the reward, potentially putting hundreds of dollars back in the pockets of consumers.

BH Payboo no sales tax credit card
B&H Photo Payboo Credit Card with tax incentive

Update: The tax-equivalent reward will be applied instantly at checkout during time of purchase. Therefore, shoppers will not need to wait a set period of time or make another purchase to take advantage of the incentive.

Shoppers subscribed to B&H emails began receiving a message describing Payboo as "the solution to the sales-tax challenge," which references the South Dakota vs Wayfair ruling that allows states to collect sales tax on purchases made from out-of-state sellers, even when said sellers do not have a physical presence in the state. As we reported in October 2018, B&H began collecting sales tax in additional states after the ruling, with even more states added to the list during the remainder of 2018. As it stands now, B&H collects sales tax in a total of 26 states and reports purchases in several more, due to local taxation laws.

Shortly after 6 p.m. Pacific, B&H launched the Payboo Credit Card page, with a message reading "you pay the tax, we pay you back." Shoppers in eligible states will receive a reward equivalent to the amount paid in sales tax on every B&H purchase with the Payboo Card. At press time, the tax-equivalent loyalty reward is not valid in Alabama, District of Columbia, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming, although other Payboo Card incentives may be available.

Payboo comes on the heels of Apple's own Apple Card announcement, which offers 3% cash back on purchases made at Apple and 2% back on purchases at other locations using the Apple Card via Apple Pay. B&H routinely, however, offers cash discounts on Apple hardware, which will stack with the tax loyalty reward. With an average sales tax rate of 8%, the benefits accrued on Apple purchases using the Payboo Card will be greater than those of the Apple Card for many U.S. shoppers.

Here's a quick comparison of popular store cards with cash back offers:

CardCash back
Amazon Prime Rewards VisaUp to 5%
Apple CardUp to 3%
B&H Payboo CardLocal sales tax rate*
My Best Buy Visa CardUp to 5%
#custom-table{border-collapse:collapse;border-spacing:0;width:100%}#custom-table th{font-size:1.1em}#custom-table th.vert{-webkit-writing-mode:vertical-lr;writing-mode:vertical-lr}#custom-table td,#custom-table th{padding:.5em}#custom-table td{border:1px solid #ddd;border-top:0;text-align:center}#custom-table th{border-bottom:1px solid #000;vertical-align:bottom}#custom-table tr td:nth-child(1){background-color:#ebebeb;font-weight:700;text-align:left}#custom-table-wrap{min-width:660px;overflow-x:scroll}
*Valid for shoppers in qualifying states. See B&H for terms and conditions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    That's especially good news for New York, because New York residents have never been exempt from paying sales tax to B&H.

While everybody else in all other states have been taking advantage of various B&H deals, many of them listed on this site, New York residents have always had to pay the tax, so there haven't really been any great deals for anybody in New York. Whenever I'd see a B&H deal on this site, I would quickly skip over it, because I know that I would have to pay the tax.

This means significant savings. The next time I'm going to purchase a pricey Apple item, maybe I'll get it from B&H and save hundreds, which is way better than any other card offers. 

edited May 2019 jbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 46
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Payboo comes on the heels of Apple's own Apple Card announcement, which offers 3% cash back on purchases made at Apple and 2% back on purchases at other locations using the Apple Card via Apple Pay. B&H routinely, however, offers cash discounts on Apple hardware, which will stack with the tax loyalty reward. With an average sales tax rate of 8%, the benefits accrued on Apple purchases using the Payboo Card will be greater than those of the Apple Card for many shoppers.

Yes but unlike the Apple Card, I suspect (correct me if I'm wrong) the Payboo card applies to only US citizens in the US states with a US SSN, which is only 5% of the world. The Apple Card will be expanding beyond the US, hopefully worldwide. So this AI article applies only to US citizens, which is only 5% of AI's readership, I'm guessing. The world is bigger than the US, although AI writers don't usually get that.
    toysandme
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Payboo comes on the heels of Apple's own Apple Card announcement, which offers 3% cash back on purchases made at Apple and 2% back on purchases at other locations using the Apple Card via Apple Pay. B&H routinely, however, offers cash discounts on Apple hardware, which will stack with the tax loyalty reward. With an average sales tax rate of 8%, the benefits accrued on Apple purchases using the Payboo Card will be greater than those of the Apple Card for many shoppers.

Yes but unlike the Apple Card, I suspect (correct me if I'm wrong) the Payboo card applies to only US citizens in the US states with a US SSN, which is only 5% of the world. The Apple Card will be expanding beyond the US, hopefully worldwide. So this AI article applies only to US citizens, which is only 5% of AI's readership, I'm guessing. The world is bigger than the US, although AI writers don't usually get that.
    US citizens are not 5% of AI's readership, they are the vast majority I'm pretty sure. :#

Maybe a mod or admin can step in and tell us what the percentage is, if they feel like sharing such information?

Much of the world is simply irrelevant. That's just how things are.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 4 of 46
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    apple ][ said:
    US citizens are not 5% of AI's readership, they are the vast majority I'm pretty sure. :#
    Maybe a mod can step in and tell us what the percentage is, if they feel like sharing such information?
    It would be fabulous if AI could tell us what percent of their readership is US-based. You think it's the "vast majority"? Does that mean over 75%? I would be very surprised if that was true. Maybe the actual number is an AI trade secret. However if they treat me as "simply irrelevant" I might go elsewhere for my news. I don't really expect them to give us an exact number but an approximate value would be very appreciated. Eg, "US and non-US readers are roughly equal in number" or "US readers outnumber non-US readers by a modest amount" or something like that would be very helpful.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    apple ][ said:
    Maybe a mod can step in and tell us what the percentage is, if they feel like sharing such information?
    It would be fabulous if AI could tell us what percent of their readership is US-based. You think it's the "vast majority"? Does that mean over 75%? I would be very surprised if that was true. Maybe the actual number is an AI trade secret. However if they treat me as "simply irrelevant" I might go elsewhere for my news. I don't really expect them to give us an exact number but an approximate value would be very appreciated. Eg, "US and non-US readers are roughly equal in number" or "US readers outnumber non-US readers by a modest amount" or something like that would be very helpful.
    "Simply irrelevant" is my words of course, not theirs. :)

This is a USA site, Apple is a USA company and you shouldn't be surprised that there will be certain articles that only applies to US people, such as this article. 

I remember reading about new openings of Apple stores sometimes in different countries on this site. I don't complain if I see that a new Apple store is opening up in France or wherever, just because I don't live there.

If certain stories don't apply to you, then you can do what I do when I see a story that is of no interest to me, I don't click on it.

• Reply 6 of 46
    the monkthe monk Posts: 93member
    apple ][ said:
    There’s really no secret to country readership. This is a common metric. Ranking sites give limited information to free users. Alexa, similarweb, etc. similarweb says over 50 percent of desktop users of AI are from U.S. other countries in smaller percentages.
    ronn
  • Reply 7 of 46
    wademwadem Posts: 1member
    There is a difference. The B&H card is a store only credit card; it is not a universal credit card like MasterCard/Visa/Amex. The B&H loyalty dollars are a credit to spend only at B&H. The Apple Card reward is cash rebated to your Apple Card that you can spend anywhere, since the Apple Card works through the MasterCard system.
    bonobobJosepronn
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Edit:

The card is apparently not future store credit, which is great news. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 9 of 46
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

If you don't live in the US, why would you care about news related to B&H (a NY-based company) at all? You're not going to order from them. This article literally does not apply to people outside of the US.
    jbdragonronn
  • Reply 10 of 46
    The only foreign related Apple news that has ever made me jealous is whenever I read about some annual event that Apple has in Japan, I forget what it's called, and people can go and buy these random grab bags from Apple containing various items, including some lucrative items sometimes, if somebody gets lucky.

I wish that they had that here. It just sounds like a fun thing to do. Maybe I'll visit Japan sometime and just do it there. :#
  • Reply 11 of 46
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    I am an American who lives outside the US and I found the article very relevant since I buy from B&H and have for years, shipping to an address in California as well as to my overseas address.

Even though CA state isn't on the tax list, note the B&H Terms here:

https://appleinsider.com/help/Terms-and-Conditions

Specifically: "B&H is legally required to report certain purchases to local state taxation departments. Please check with your local government to see if your purchases are subject to use taxes."

But all general sales taxes from all 50 states are technically "use taxes" these days.  So that wording implies B&H will report all purchases to the governments of any state which has sales taxes.  (Obviously, Oregon would be an exception because it doesn't have a sales tax.)  That makes every B&H customer technical liable (i.e., neck on the line) for sales taxes in the delivery state.  If B&H did not report such purchases directly to state governments, you technically would owe the tax but it could not easily be found out.  By this direct reporting on the part of B&H, it would be easy for any state government (with a sales tax) to find out the name of the buyer and delivery address in the state.

• Reply 12 of 46
    rbelizerbelize Posts: 22member
    Somebody please help me understand. The president of the US gets a lot of hate because people speculate he has avoided taxes, yet B&H is helping people collect back taxes? From the CNN I understand that everyone, including Trump, should pay as much tax as possible. 
  • Reply 13 of 46
    macmarcusmacmarcus Posts: 84member
    Ummmmm. Am I missing something or is EVERYONE else missing something.

B&H is giving you back a "gift card" in the amount of the sales tax you paid. It is a "gift card", not a no strings attached debit card?

And this is what the discussion is apparently missing, I can still use my 2% cash back credit card at B&H and get a "gift card" for the 7% in sales tax I paid --- a total of 9%. That sure beats buying directly from Apple and only getting a total of 3% using an Apple credit card (paying the 7% sales tax).
    ronn
  • Reply 14 of 46
    ric.mric.m Posts: 7member
    Credit is applied instantly at checkout so the amount charged to the card is “net” or after the benefit (discount) is applied.  See the site for details (excerpt below)

How does the Payboo Card benefit really work?

When you pay for B&H purchases with the Payboo Credit Card, B&H will charge the total of merchandise plus applicable fees and taxes; but we instantly issue and apply a reward on orders made in our SuperStore or shipped to eligible states right in checkout as a form of customer payment. Then, the amount charged to the Payboo Card is net of the benefit applied.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    rbelize said:
    Somebody please help me understand. The president of the US gets a lot of hate because people speculate he has avoided taxes, yet B&H is helping people collect back taxes? From the CNN I understand that everyone, including Trump, should pay as much tax as possible.. 

its a reward / rebate from B&H via Payboo. The state government still receives their tax dollars. 

Re: President Trump. 
    When borrowing money from banks it’s advantageous to show as much income as possible to qualify for the loan.  When filing taxes, it’s advantageous to show as little income as possible to pay less in taxes.  Even if every deduction Mr. Trump took on his federal returns was legit (e.g. he didn’t ‘cheat on his taxes’) if those numbers don’t match what he told the bank, that’s Fraud - and it’s a felony. President Trump has pre-emptively sued the banks to stop them from providing the income records he submitted to the bank, because if they don’t match the federal returns, he’s guilty of fraud and (thanks to Trunp’s ex-attorney Mr. Cohen’s testimony pointing Congress to exactly when and where to look) it’s a non-defensible slam dunk impeachment.
    edited May 2019 ronn
  • Reply 16 of 46
    macmarcusmacmarcus Posts: 84member
    ric.m said:
    When borrowing money from banks it’s advantageous to show as much income as possible to qualify for the loan.  When filing taxes, it’s advantageous to show as little income as possible to pay less in taxes.  Even if every deduction Mr. Trump took on his federal returns was legit (e.g. he didn’t ‘cheat on his taxes’) if those numbers don’t match what he told the bank, that’s Fraud - and it’s a felony. President Trump has pre-emptively sued the banks to stop them from providing the income records he submitted to the bank, because if they don’t match the federal returns, he’s guilty of fraud and (thanks to Trunp’s ex-attorney Mr. Cohen’s testimony pointing Congress to exactly when and where to look) it’s a non-defensible slam dunk impeachment.
    Dream on. You obviously don't understand what "income" is vs. what "taxable income" is. I can have very high income but very low taxable income. For example I could have a large real estate portfolio with incredible rent income but because of favorable accelerated depreciation deductions have zero taxable income or of course loss carry forwards that bring all present taxable income to zero.

High income earners are audited every year by the IRS so I am 1000% sure Trump is paying exactly what the IRS says he should be paying. It is his right to fight to pay the lowest income taxes legally obligated to pay. The only time wrongdoing would happen is if someone presents fake tax return to a bank, which is what lowlife stupid people do, not what uber super rich people do. Large companies, including Apple, have IRS tax auditors assigned there, the IRS doesn't rely on anyone's accounting firm as being accurate.

Every time someone says Trump will be impeached, I laugh. Tin foil is cheap and it makes a great hat, I recommend it to all impeachers. LOL
  • Reply 17 of 46
    ric.m said:
    Credit is applied instantly at checkout so the amount charged to the card is “net” or after the benefit (discount) is applied.  See the site for details (excerpt below)

How does the Payboo Card benefit really work?

When you pay for B&H purchases with the Payboo Credit Card, B&H will charge the total of merchandise plus applicable fees and taxes; but we instantly issue and apply a reward on orders made in our SuperStore or shipped to eligible states right in checkout as a form of customer payment. Then, the amount charged to the Payboo Card is net of the benefit applied.
    If I'm understanding that correctly, then that basically means that B&H is paying all taxes for the customer.

If I buy a MacBook for $1500 + $133 in tax, B&H will automatically credit me $133 at checkout and my final price that I have to pay is $1500.00

That sounds like a great deal, basically zero tax, and it sounds a lot better than store credit that somebody would have to use in the future sometime.
  • Reply 18 of 46

ric.m said:
    (thanks to Trunp’s ex-attorney Mr. Cohen’s testimony pointing Congress to exactly when and where to look) it’s a non-defensible slam dunk impeachment.
    I believe that his former attorney, the convicted and unreliable liar started his prison term today. Any talk of impeachment is merely a delusional fantasy at this point and a total joke, imo. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 19 of 46
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    ric.m said:
    rbelize said:
    Somebody please help me understand. The president of the US gets a lot of hate because people speculate he has avoided taxes, yet B&H is helping people collect back taxes? From the CNN I understand that everyone, including Trump, should pay as much tax as possible.. 

its a reward / rebate from B&H via Payboo. The state government still receives their tax dollars. 

When borrowing money from banks it’s advantageous to show as much income as possible to qualify for the loan.  When filing taxes, it’s advantageous to show as little income as possible to pay less in taxes.  Even if every deduction Mr. Trump took on his federal returns was legit (e.g. he didn’t ‘cheat on his taxes’) if those numbers don’t match what he told the bank, that’s Fraud - and it’s a felony. President Trump has pre-emptively sued the banks to stop them from providing the income records he submitted to the bank, because if they don’t match the federal returns, he’s guilty of fraud and (thanks to Trunp’s ex-attorney Mr. Cohen’s testimony pointing Congress to exactly when and where to look) it’s a non-doefensible slam dunk impeachment.
    You have much to learn about both tax accounting and politics, young padawan. 
  • Reply 20 of 46
    macmarcus said:
    ric.m said:
    Dream on. You obviously don't understand what "income" is vs. what "taxable income" is. I can have very high income but very low taxable income. For example I could have a large real estate portfolio with incredible rent income but because of favorable accelerated depreciation deductions have zero taxable income or of course loss carry forwards that bring all present taxable income to zero.

High income earners are audited every year by the IRS so I am 1000% sure Trump is paying exactly what the IRS says he should be paying. It is his right to fight to pay the lowest income taxes legally obligated to pay. The only time wrongdoing would happen is if someone presents fake tax return to a bank, which is what lowlife stupid people do, not what uber super rich people do. Large companies, including Apple, have IRS tax auditors assigned there, the IRS doesn't rely on anyone's accounting firm as being accurate.

Every time someone says Trump will be impeached, I laugh. Tin foil is cheap and it makes a great hat, I recommend it to all impeachers. LOL

You’re misinterpreting my post. I’m not passing judgement, just stating what the issue Is and how it’s not in any way related to paying sales tax and getting a rebate from the retailer.

Also, in the case of Mr. Trump, it’s not about deductions or tax strategy.  Mr. Trump almost certainly submitted copies of his tax returns (and other income-related documentation) to the bank. His lawyer (with admitted self-interest) claimed he misrepresented his finances to the banks. He made this claim under oath to Congress. If it’s true, it wouldn’t be hard to prove (either way) if Congress successfully subpoenas both sets of docs.  Its not subjective, either Mr. Cohen’s claims are true or not, as shown by submitted financial disclosures; no gray area.

To be clear, I’m not implying guilty or innocent here.  Not even intended to be a political post (although it’ll be interpreted as such as it’s such a polarizing topic)
    ronn