Apple offering 10% bonus for adding credit to Apple ID

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple is giving its users an opportunity to earn some bonus credit on the Apple ID to spend on Apple's products and services, by offering 10% extra on top of any additions to an account up to the value of $200 before May 10.

A repeat of a promotion that last took place in March, the offer relates to the ability to add credit to an Apple ID, which can then be used to make payments in the various media and App Stores Apple controls. Running from Tuesday until March 10, customers in the United States with a valid payment card on an account can make a one-time top-up and receive further credit worth 10% of the payment.

According to Apple's terms, the bonus is applied on only one successful top-up during the offer period, and is available for values between $1 and $200. In reality, the amount that can be topped up differs depending on the device used.

On an iOS device, users have to go to the App Store and tap their name, then on Add Funds to Apple ID, then the amount they wish to top up. Via this method, the options are $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200, with each value also displaying the extra credit that users will receive.

On the Mac App Store, the process involves clicking the user's name at the bottom left then selecting View Information, and entering the proper credentials. Under Add Funds to Apple ID, the five values of credit are presented, along with Other, which can be used to select a custom credit amount.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    People can often get 15% off if they pay attention to various deals that pop up from time to time, from various retailers. Just recently, Costco was selling $100 iTunes cards for $85.

I remember the days of 25% off, some years ago. I stocked up on iTunes cards big time back then when I came across those kind of deals. Those days are over though I guess. You don't see deals like that anymore.
    edited May 2019 SpamSandwichtyler82watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    apple ][ said:
    People can often get 15% off if they pay attention to various deals that pop up from time to time, from various retailers. Just recently, Costco was selling $100 iTunes cards for $85.

I remember the days of 25% off, some years ago. I stocked up on iTunes cards big time back then when I came across those kind of deals. Those days are over though I guess. You don't see deals like that anymore.
    Target consistently offers a Black Friday deal on iTunes cards in the 20%-33% range.  
  • Reply 3 of 21
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    apple ][ said:
    Costco is currently selling $100 iTunes cards for $84.49.
    SpamSandwichcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Target consistently offers a Black Friday deal on iTunes cards in the 20%-33% range.  
    I did a quick search for their 2018 Black Friday deal and I found the Black Friday circular and it was apparently buy 1, get 1 30% off.

So, if somebody bought a $50 card, then they would get 30% off of the next $50 card, bringing the total cost for a $100 in iTunes Credits to $85, which is not a very good Black Friday deal, as that's just 15% off, and that's the same discount that all of the current deals are, such as the recent Costco deal.

I'll be keeping an eye out for Black Friday 2019, and I will definitely stock up on some iTunes Credits if I find some good deals. There are a few pricey apps and software that I plan on buying.

SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    bonobob said:
    apple ][ said:
    Costco is currently selling $100 iTunes cards for $84.49.
    Indeed they are. I have a Costco account, so I just checked and yep, you are correct, it's currently $84.99, that's for members only of course.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    apple ][ said:
    I did a quick search for their 2018 Black Friday deal and I found the Black Friday circular and it was apparently buy 1, get 1 30% off.

So, if somebody bought a $50 card, then they would get 30% off of the next $50 card, bringing the total cost for a $100 in iTunes Credits to $85, which is not a very good Black Friday deal, as that's just 15% off, and that's the same discount that all of the current deals are, such as the recent Costco deal.

I'll be keeping an eye out for Black Friday 2019, and I will definitely stock up on some iTunes Credits if I find some good deals. There are a few pricey apps and software that I plan on buying.

Thanks for the reminder.  That was the deal last year.  At the time I knew it was 15%, but the way they market it makes you remember the 30% figure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    20% Off deals still pop up from time to time, especially around the holidays, and that’s a good time to stock up. 
  • Reply 8 of 21
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Advanced apologies for this ignorant question: what, besides songs and apps/games, can you buy with this credit?  Can I use it on my Apple TV to rent or buy a movie?  Can I use it wherever I'd use ApplePay?  Been using an iPhone since 2010 but never used any iTunes cards, etc.
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    dinkydogsdinkydogs Posts: 21member

Running from Tuesday until March 10, customers in the United States with a valid payment card on an account can make a one-time top-up and receive further credit worth 10% of the payment.

this should be May 10 and not March 10
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    tjwolf said:
    Advanced apologies for this ignorant question: what, besides songs and apps/games, can you buy with this credit?  Can I use it on my Apple TV to rent or buy a movie?  Can I use it wherever I'd use ApplePay?  Been using an iPhone since 2010 but never used any iTunes cards, etc.
    No, it can't be used for Apple Pay purchases. That would be like selling cash for a discount.

You can use it for app/games like you mentioned, but it can also be used on the Mac App Store for any software that's there. It can be used for songs, movies etc, anything that's on the iTunes Store basically I believe.

It can also be used for subscriptions, if you sign up through iTunes, so if somebody wants Netflix for example, then they'd be getting it at a discount. I recently signed up for HBO and I paid using my iTunes credits which I had gotten at a discount.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The best deals I see these days for iTunes Store / App Store / iCloud-compatible credit on a regular basis is 15% from Amazon + 5%* back on your purchase with Amazon credit when you use their CC.

* Despite that always being stated as 20% off—which used to be common many years ago—by my calculations it’s 19.25% off because you’re only getting the additional 5% back on the amount you are charged, which is $4.25 for $100 GC in which you pay $85.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Soli said:
    The best deals I see these days for iTunes Store / App Store / iCloud-compatible credit on a regular basis is 15% from Amazon + 5%* back on your purchase with Amazon credit when you use their CC.

* Despite that always being stated as 20% off—which used to be common many years ago—by my calculations it’s 19.25% off because you’re only getting the additional 5% back on the amount you are charged, which is $4.25 for $100 GC in which you pay $85.
    That sounds like a decent deal, as long as somebody has an Amazon CC of course.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    apple ][ said:
    tjwolf said:
    No, it can't be used for Apple Pay purchases. That would be like selling cash for a discount.

You can use it for app/games like you mentioned, but it can also be used on the Mac App Store for any software that's there. It can be used for songs, movies etc, anything that's on the iTunes Store basically I believe.

It can also be used for subscriptions, if you sign up through iTunes, so if somebody wants Netflix for example, then they'd be getting it at a discount. I recently signed up for HBO and I paid using my iTunes credits which I had gotten at a discount.
    tjwolf said:
    Yes, you can use it to rent or buy movies or tv episodes/ seasons via Apple TV, and subscriptions (including Apple Music) as already mentioned, funds go to your Apple ID or iTunes account as “store credit”, and can be used for anything you can get through iTunes (Apple ID) and the iOS and Mac App Stores. ...it is not good for Apple store purchases (hardware).

To note, Netflix no longer allows you to pay for subscription through iTunes, along with some others, Spotify may be one of them. I used to do this because I’d get iTunes gift cards at 15 or 20% off.

10% isn’t bad, but 15 or 20% is better, however, usually 20% off is only for certain amounts, like $100 or maybe $50. (PayPal does 20% from time to time.)
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    benji888 said:

To note, Netflix no longer allows you to pay for subscription through iTunes, along with some others, Spotify may be one of them. I used to do this because I’d get iTunes gift cards at 15 or 20% off.
    I didn't know that Netflix no longer allows that, I guess that they have changed since the last time I subscribed. Good to know.

I do know that it worked with HBO just recently.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I was just going through some old papers and I found an eBay purchase for a $100 GC for $75. Those were the days.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    I may get banned for pointing this out again, but after reading this article it appears to be only applicable to 58% of AI readers, namely the ones in the US. (I will tire quickly of pointing this out, unless people start arguing this point with me again.)
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I may get banned for pointing this out again, but after reading this article it appears to be only applicable to 58% of AI readers, namely the ones in the US. (I will tire quickly of pointing this out, unless people start arguing this point with me again.)
    You're probably going to be highly disappointed soon when all of those highly anticipated Apple services roll out soon, as most will probably be USA only, to start with at least, and there is going to be a ton of articles about them, day after day. :#
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    marktimemarktime Posts: 39member
    tjwolf said:
    It’s a good question. The credit goes against anything purchased via iTunes. So for me that includes my monthly subscriptions for iCloud storage and Apple Music family plan which is $25/month total for me. It also goes against movie rentals and in-app purchases.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    apple ][ said:

I get 100% off iTunes by using a VPN and doing a DuckDuckGo search for “song
    title 320kbps mp3”
  • Reply 20 of 21
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    I just add $50 to my account and the total I got is only $53, not $55. Hmm...