Google reveals Pixel 3a and 3a XL smartphones, Nest Hub Max with added camera

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
As to be expected, Google used its Google I/O developer conference to announce new hardware, with the additions for 2019 including the Pixel 3a and 3a XL and an updated Google Home Hub under the name Nest Hub Max.

Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 3a

Google's Pixel 3a and 3a XL are follow-ups to the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL, revealed in October 2018. The new models bear more than a passing resemblance to their predecessors, but with a fair few changes such as the reduction from two front-facing cameras to just one.

Using 5.6-inch and 6-inch OLED screens respectively, albeit at a slightly higher resolution to the previous model at 1080x2220 for the Pixel 3a, the screen is joined at the front by a single 8.1-megapixel camera and earpieces that can provide a stereo sound experience, while the touch-sensitive Active Edge bezels are revived to trigger Google Assistant.

A USB Type-C port is at the base for charging, while at the top is a 3.5mm audio jack.

On the back is the same 12.2-megapixel camera as the Pixel 3 and 3XL, with an f/1.8 aperture, dual-phase detection autofocus, spectral and flicker sensors, and optical image stabilization. Again, computational photography is the main draw for the model, such as Photobooth using machine learning to select the best scene possible as a compilation of multiple shots, Night Sight for improved low-light images, and Top Shot for selecting the best from a burst.

Google Lens, the search company's image-based detection and identification feature is also offered. Video for the camera extends to 1080p at up to 120fps, 4K at 30fps, and 720p at up to 240fps.

Inside the models are a Qualcomm Snapdragon 670 SoC using two 2GHz cores paired with six low energy 1.7GHz cores, and an Adreno 616 GPU, with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. Using Qualcomm's X12 LTE modem, it can connect at up to 600Mbps downstream and 150Mbps upstream.

The 3,000mAh and 3,700mAh batteries are marginally higher than the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL respectively, with Qi wireless charging supported, and fast charging offering up to 7 hours of usage from a 15-minute charge.

Going on sale in the US and 12 other markets this week, the Pixel 3a and 3a XL will start from $399 and $479 respectively, and will be offered in Clearly White, Purple-ish, and Just Black color options.

Google Nest Home Max
Google Nest Home Max

Google is repositioning its Home hardware offerings under the Nest brand, with the first new device announced at Google I/O being the Nest Hub Max. A reimagining of the Google Home Hub, the Nest Hub Max has a bigger 10-inch display, giving users a larger area to see photographs stored on Google Photos, as well as the home view dashboard.

New to the device line is a camera mounted at the top with a wide-angle lens, which can be used with Google Duo, with the speaker automatically centered in the frame, and to leave video messages for other members of the household. The camera's Face Match recognition feature performs processing locally, rather than relying on cloud servers, and can provide a personalized home page for each user on the display.

It also works like the security-focused Nest Cam, giving a way to add surveillance to a room. Users can see an event history of what the camera observes, and to receive notifications if motion detection or person recognition systems spot something.

To help with privacy, the camera will always show a green light when turned on, and has a physical switch on the back to disconnect the camera and microphone if required.

Shipping later this summer, the Nest Hub Max will cost $229.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Google Home Hub - so, it's like an iPad? But on a stand?
    jbdragonlolliverAppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    No sir, in both intent and design. 

(Some of this quoted) The Nest Hub Max can act as an indoor security camera that streams a live feed of your home to your phone. With a camera now included the Nest Hub Max can recognize your face when you arrive home and will bring up a personalized home page, such as calendar notifications or your own photos for the background slideshow. The feature is called Face Match which Google says the device processes locally and does not upload to the cloud. You can also use it for video calls ala' Alexa.

Google says you’ll always know when the camera is on when the light is lit in green. Additionally, the device can act as a control panel for other smart home devices in your house, such as lights and, of course, Nest’s own thermostat. Just like the regular Hub, it can also display photos / timers or play YouTube videos from your voice commands. It can even stream live shows and act as a tiny TV, if you wish. To stop the Nest Hub Max from playing audio, video, or from speaking, you can also just raise your hand to end whatever it’s doing.

FWIW good to see Google intending to sell hardware priced to support itself rather than by ad revenue. 

edited May 2019 Carnage
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Yeah controlling & operating things and photos and calendars...that still sounds like a tablet. I don’t know why I’d want to perform those use cases on a fixed-stand device. 

Good luck with the launch. 
    edited May 2019 racerhomie3lolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 30
    stoneygstoneyg Posts: 55member
    gatorguy said:

(Some of this quoted) The Nest Hub Max can act as an indoor security camera that streams a live feed of your home to your phone. With a camera now included the Nest Hub Max can recognize your face when you arrive home and will bring up a personalized home page, such as calendar notifications or your own photos for the background slideshow. The feature is called Face Match which Google says the device processes locally and does not upload to the cloud. You can also use it for video calls ala' Alexa....

So...like an iPad.
    StrangeDaysgutengeljbdragonracerhomie3lolliverAppleExposedkruegdudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Yeah controlling & operating things and photos and calendars...that still sounds like a tablet. I don’t know why I’d want to perform those use cases on a fixed-stand device. 

YOU probably wouldn't based on what you've said you want from a voice assistant or device (ex. smartspeaker). I don't see a need for one either. Buyers would be those who do see the value in something more than you or I personally want. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 6 of 30
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    So much for premium priced Pixel devices? Are these replacing the 3/3 XL? You can still buy a 3/3 XL for $250 more than the 3a/3a XL. 

What is happening here?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    clarker99 said:
    So much for premium priced Pixel devices? Are these replacing the 3/3 XL? You can still buy a 3/3 XL for $250 more than the 3a/3a XL. 

What is happening here?
    I haven't been following along but that also got me thinking. Will there be a Pixel 4 for Christmas?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    You can expect Google to drop support for the 3/3XL about a year from now, if history is a guide. Maybe 18 months if you're lucky.

The "Do-over" 3a seems like a nice mid-range phone, but whoever said it was priced to support itself -- uh, no. That is heavily supplemented by the ad revenue Google will get from the info they gather from their users, as usual. For what you're giving them, it ought to be free.
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    avon b7 said:
    clarker99 said:

What is happening here?
    I haven't been following along but that also got me thinking. Will there be a Pixel 4 for Christmas?
    Yes
  • Reply 10 of 30
    chasm said:
    You can expect Google to drop support for the 3/3XL about a year from now, if history is a guide. Maybe 18 months if you're lucky.

The "Do-over" 3a seems like a nice mid-range phone, but whoever said it was priced to support itself -- uh, no. That is heavily supplemented by the ad revenue Google will get from the info they gather from their users, as usual. For what you're giving them, it ought to be free.
    Even the original Pixel phone is still supported with the latest OS version (I'm running Android Q, the fourth version available to the OG Pixel) along with regular monthly security updates. I've no idea what "history" you are referring to. 

But yes if you even bothered to look before posting the 3a and 3aXL are absolutely bonafide mid-range phones. That's by intent. The premium Pixel 4's will come later this year. 
    canukstormCarnage
  • Reply 11 of 30
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    i hope this pushes Apple to step up their game on the home accessories.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    gatorguy said:
    chasm said:

Even the original Pixel phone is still supported with the latest OS version (I'm running Android Q, the fourth version available to the OG Pixel) along with regular monthly security updates. I've no idea what "history" you are referring to. 

But yes if you even bothered to look before posting the 3a and 3aXL are absolutely bonafide mid-range phones. That's by intent. The premium Pixel 4's will come later this year. 
    Not sure if this will mark a pattern but I like the idea of launching mid rangers around now and then the higher enders for Christmas.

• Reply 13 of 30
    gatorguy said:

YOU probably wouldn't based on what you've said you want from a voice assistant or device (ex. smartspeaker). I don't see a need for one either. Buyers would be those who do see the value in something more than you or I personally want. 
    Not really sure what you mean. As a developer and product guy I can certainly envision use cases beyond my own. Can you explain the advantages of performing the rather mundane use cases you described on a fixed, mounted device rather than a normal tablet (iPad)?
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30
    avon b7 said:
    gatorguy said:
    chasm said:

Not sure if this will mark a pattern but I like the idea of launching mid rangers around now and then the higher enders for Christmas.

Supposedly that will be the pattern for the foreseeable future. Mid-rangers in the Spring and flagships in the Fall. 
  • Reply 15 of 30

gatorguy said:
    chasm said:

Probably the history where android knockoff device manufacturers dropped support for their devices in rather short order, including previous flagships from Google. Just a guess.

It happened, we all know it happened, and no, I’m not going to invest the time to post links proving to you what everyone already knows. Android, including google phones, was known for dropping support to shorter terms than iPhones were covered. And you know that, of course. Not really sure what the point of your FUD campaign is here. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member

gatorguy said:
    chasm said:

Probably the history where android knockoff device manufacturers dropped support for their devices in rather short order, including previous flagships from Google. Just a guess.

It happened, we all know it happened, and no, I’m not going to invest the time to post links proving to you what everyone already knows. Android, including google phones, was known for dropping support to shorter terms than iPhones were covered. And you know that, of course. Not really sure what the point of your FUD campaign is here. 
    Google's security & OS update policy for their Pixel phones is 3 years. It's on their website.
    edited May 2019 muthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 17 of 30
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Upgraded models for  Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL selling for several hundred dollars less? Is Google so rich that can give away devices? 
  • Reply 18 of 30

gatorguy said:
    chasm said:

Google's security & OS update policy for their Pixel phones is 3 years. It's on their website.
    I think the security updates continue beyond that even if guaranteed full OS updates are not. 
  • Reply 19 of 30
    tzeshan said:
    Upgraded models for  Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL selling for several hundred dollars less? Is Google so rich that can give away devices? 
    These are not "upgraded models for Pixel 3 and Pixel 3XL". Those will come this fall. 
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7Carnage
  • Reply 20 of 30
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    gatorguy said:

(Some of this quoted) The Nest Hub Max can act as an indoor security camera that streams a live feed of your home to your phone. With a camera now included the Nest Hub Max can recognize your face when you arrive home and will bring up a personalized home page, such as calendar notifications or your own photos for the background slideshow. The feature is called Face Match which Google says the device processes locally and does not upload to the cloud. You can also use it for video calls ala' Alexa.

Google says you’ll always know when the camera is on when the light is lit in green. Additionally, the device can act as a control panel for other smart home devices in your house, such as lights and, of course, Nest’s own thermostat. Just like the regular Hub, it can also display photos / timers or play YouTube videos from your voice commands. It can even stream live shows and act as a tiny TV, if you wish. To stop the Nest Hub Max from playing audio, video, or from speaking, you can also just raise your hand to end whatever it’s doing.

FWIW good to see Google intending to sell hardware priced to support itself rather than by ad revenue. 

Got that in my ipad pro....homekit anyone?
    lolliverwatto_cobra