Android 10 Q will include dark theme, iOS-style location controls, Focus Mode & more

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google revealed more details about the next version of Android at its I/O developer keynote on Tuesday, promising features like a native dark theme and iPhone-style location controls for apps.

Google Android 10 Q

These controls include permission pop-ups from apps, allowing people to choose between always-on, in-app, and fully blocked tracking. Apple has offered this since 2014's iOS 8.

Other security enhancements include disk encryption on low-end phones, and individually-updatable OS components. That means that if a critical security issue is discovered in one part of Android, Google and other device makers don't have to push out full-scale releases.

Screen Time-like parental app and time controls are now built into the OS. A similar feature for everyone is Focus Mode, which shuts off distracting apps until it's turned off. The option will also be available for the existing Android P.

For mute or deaf people -- or those who simply want to work without sound -- Google is introducing two technologies, Live Caption and Live Relay. The former works offline, and requires just a little over 80 megabytes of phone space. Live Relay can turn voice calls into text and let people reply as if they're in a pure text chat.

The Smart Reply system has been expanded to all messaging apps, and can pop up buttons for outside functions, for instance presenting one for Google Maps if an address is detected.

The OS will lastly gain native compatibility with foldable phones launching later this year. It's not clear if Samsung will incorporate this into the now-delayed Galaxy Fold.

As of today, the third beta of Android 10 Q is available on 21 devices, not just Google's Pixel phones as before.

Word of the update's features is critical to Apple. While Google has yet to set a release date for 10 Q, iOS 13 -- expected this fall -- may need to match Android to keep or expand marketshare. Some changes in iOS 13 are rumored to involve revamped Health, Reminders, Maps, and Messages apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    edit

edited May 2019
  • Reply 2 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    What exactly does this have to do with Apple? This isn't AndroidInsider...So what if Android competes with iOS...it's still not AppleInsider material meaning, it's not Apple news. It's just technology news. So is this an Apple site, or a tech site?
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    macxpress said:
    What exactly does this have to do with Apple? This isn't AndroidInsider...So what if Android competes with iOS...it's still not AppleInsider material meaning, it's not Apple news. It's just technology news. So is this an Apple site, or a tech site?
    Android Central reports on new iPhones as do most Android fan sites. A lot of people are interested in what "the other side" offers and in fact many own and appreciate both iPhones/other Apple products AND Android phones and Chromebooks. They can all exist peacefully together. :)
    jbdragonmuthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 4 of 13
    macxpress said:
    “Word of the update's features is critical to Apple. While Google has yet to set a release date for 10 Q, iOS 13 -- expected this fall -- may need to match Android to keep or expand marketshare. Some changes in iOS 13 are rumored to involve revamped Health, Reminders, Maps, and Messages apps.”

Knowledge is power. 
    Situational awareness. 
    Know your enemies and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster (Sun Tzu). 

muthuk_vanalingamavon b7watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I'm always told by fandroids that Android has had Dark Mode forever and Apple is now copying that. So I'm a little confused there. Even though the Apple Watch has had Dark Mode since Day 1. Finally disc encryption on low end phones which is most of the Android market!!! Most of this crap I could care less about. Doesn't seem like some huge LEAP for Android though and yet they talk about iOS like it's not changing much. From the look of things, iOS going to be a bigger update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    macxpress said:
    “Word of the update's features is critical to Apple. While Google has yet to set a release date for 10 Q, iOS 13 -- expected this fall -- may need to match Android to keep or expand marketshare. Some changes in iOS 13 are rumored to involve revamped Health, Reminders, Maps, and Messages apps.”

Knowledge is power. 
    Situational awareness. 
    Know your enemies and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster (Sun Tzu). 

Bottomline is its not Apple news. I don't care if its Apple's competitor. This isn't Apple news. It's just general news on an Apple site. I don't really care what Android is coming out with....I refuse to use such a POS knock off mobile OS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:

Knowledge is power. 
    Situational awareness. 

Bottomline is its not Apple news. I don't care if its Apple's competitor. This isn't Apple news. It's just general news on an Apple site. I don't really care what Android is coming out with....I refuse to use such a POS knock off mobile OS. 
    There are other Apple users here who also use Android devices too, or who have family member that do. If you're not interested what does it matter? Just don't read those articles.
    djames4242muthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 8 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:

Knowledge is power. 
    Situational awareness. 

How hard is it to simply skip past the articles that don't appeal to you?
    muthuk_vanalingamCarnagewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 13
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:

There are other Apple users here who also use Android devices too, or who have family member that do. If you're not interested what does it matter? Just don't read those articles.
    Thank you. I’m one of those. I use an Android device for work (by choice) because, even though I don’t care much for Android I still need to be able to test my sites on it. I don’t care enough to read Android central to see what’s coming, so I’m glad to see the occasional update here. 

Also, some of android’s features trickle down into iOS (and visa-versa) so it’s good to keep on top of what’s out there. And if you don’t care to, then don’t read these articles.
    muthuk_vanalingamCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    iGlowEarthiGlowEarth Posts: 48member
    Editor, or moderator, please send that to editor. Next time please don’t call us deaf people as “mute” in same sentence as “deaf”. We deaf people are NOT “mute” because it consider as an insult to us deaf community. Just use “deaf” or “Deaf” instead. Anybody who have speech impaired is like mute but that word “mute” is consider as an insult to disabled people. Please understand. Thank you! 
    Carnage
  • Reply 11 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Editor, or moderator, please send that to editor. Next time please don’t call us deaf people as “mute” in same sentence as “deaf”. We deaf people are NOT “mute” because it consider as an insult to us deaf community. Just use “deaf” or “Deaf” instead. Anybody who have speech impaired is like mute but that word “mute” is consider as an insult to disabled people. Please understand. Thank you! 
    They said “deaf OR mute”. Real question, how is mute an insult? Asking because I’d really like to know and this would be new to me. And yes, I work around and know many types of disabled people so please help me learn more. 
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    They said “deaf OR mute”. Real question, how is mute an insult? Asking because I’d really like to know and this would be new to me. And yes, I work around and know many types of disabled people so please help me learn more. 
    I'm in the same boat as you. The 'or' is clearly marked. For as much as I look I can't see any offence or intent to offend.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    macxpress said:
    It gets the clicky-clickies.
    lkrupp