Apple design lead Jony Ive to discuss iPhone design with Stephen Fry

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's Chief Design Officer Jony Ive will be making a public appearance at an Irish book festival in June, in a session talking to celebrity Stephen Fry about the design of the iPhone and other Apple products, as well as how they have helped change the world.

Taking place at the Dalkey Book Festival on June 15, the discussion between the well-known British celebrity and Apple's design chief is titled "The Object of Language and the Language of Objects," and is advertised as an event where the two will share "wit and wisdom" on a variety of subjects.

The main discussion is likely to center around the iPod, iPad, and iPhone, devices which is said by organizers to have "changed your world probably more than any other single living human being." Given the title, it is likely that Fry's background in acting and writing will lend itself to the "Object of Language" section while Ive will handle the "Language of Objects."

The event costs 30 euro ($33.50) per person, with a maximum of two tickets per sale. It will be held in Dalkey, approximately 30 minutes from Dublin's city center, at the Seafront Marquee at 6pm on Saturday, June 15.

Fro is a self-described fan of Apple and its products, and has previously spoken to co-founder Steve Jobs for Time magazine in 2010. At the time, Fry also spoke to Jony Ive, as well as other members of Apple's managerial team, including Phil Schiller and Eddy Cue.

Ive has become more open about talking to the media and the public about design in the last year, including an April interview where he explains designers have responsibilities long after a product ships. In November, Ive spoke to the Cambridge Union Society after receiving the Stephen Hawking Fellowship, discussing how "fragile" ideas can be, and how they can evolve into products and services like the iPhone and the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    I personally love how Ive bashed the Xoamis & Huaweis of the world ,by calling them thieves. 
    Solimacgui
  • Reply 2 of 31
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    I personally love how Ive bashed the Xoamis & Huaweis of the world ,by calling them thieves. 
    Totalitarian authority and creativity are pretty much at odds with one another. Thievery can only get you so far. In a world that’s changing more quickly than ever, the free society is always going to be advantaged over the totalitarian society.
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 3 of 31
    elfig2012elfig2012 Posts: 63member
    maybe he will explain the ridiculous Apple Pencil 1 and iPad combination, it sticks out like a weapon, yeah indeed, VERY stylish!!
  • Reply 4 of 31
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    elfig2012 said:
    maybe he will explain the ridiculous Apple Pencil 1 and iPad combination, it sticks out like a weapon, yeah indeed, VERY stylish!!
    Mr dummy , maybe you don’t realize that the pencil comes with an adapter with which you can plug it into a regular lightning cable.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 31
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Fro is a self-described fan of Apple and its products, and has previously spoken to co-founder Steve Jobs for Time magazine in 2010.
    For the 50% US readership not familiar with Stephen Fro (sic), his interviewing style is, shall we say, a little awkward. 

https://youtu.be/24F6C1KfbjM

Very funny man though (ref. Blackadder).
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 6 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    hentaiboy said:
    Fro is a self-described fan of Apple and its products, and has previously spoken to co-founder Steve Jobs for Time magazine in 2010.
    For the 50% US readership not familiar with Stephen Fro (sic), his interviewing style is, shall we say, a little awkward. 

https://youtu.be/24F6C1KfbjM

Very funny man though (ref. Blackadder).
    Yes, big fan of Stephen here. That Speckled Jim episode always makes me laugh.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Funny nobody is stealing Jony's butterfly keyboard design.
    avon b7jgojcajBrandon916LatkoSpamSandwichchemengin
  • Reply 8 of 31
    jgojcajjgojcaj Posts: 48member
    Would love someone new to come in to design Apple. Apple hasn't designed anything beautiful since the 2001 iMac G4. Fight me.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Brandon916Brandon916 Posts: 20member
    I wonder how he feels when watching Steve job talks about stealing?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    lmac said:
    Savage! lol...
    chemengin
  • Reply 11 of 31
    elfig2012 said:
    Mr dummy , maybe you don’t realize that the pencil comes with an adapter with which you can plug it into a regular lightning cable.
    Chill man. I own the ipad and have used this method to charge my pencil. If they wanted to charge it through the cable only they would've made it without the lightning male component. They didn't, so his comment is legit.
    elfig2012chemengin
  • Reply 12 of 31
    can’t wait to hear the same tired stories of how the iphone was designed 
  • Reply 13 of 31
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    can’t wait to hear the same tired stories of how the iphone was designed 
    You don't have to if you don't want to.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 31
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    The macbook pro was such a lovely device when i was using it. I hope the college kid i gave it to did good with it. 
  • Reply 15 of 31
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    elfig2012 said:
    Chill man. I own the ipad and have used this method to charge my pencil. If they wanted to charge it through the cable only they would've made it without the lightning male component. They didn't, so his comment is legit.
    The point is you *can* but don't have to. It's meant to be a quick way to recharge your Pencil in a couple mins for hours of charge when you're away from another charger. Obviously, this was a stopgap measure until the tech for the Pencil 2 was ready. It's a non-issue.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    lmac said:
    I agree.
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15-2-in-1/spd/xps-15-9575-2-in-1-laptop
  • Reply 17 of 31
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    I'm up for a little bit of Fry and Jony!
  • Reply 18 of 31
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Stealing has become easy as design for both MacBooks and iPhone has become stalemate for 6+ years.
    And it will accomodate most switchers that are fed up with failed keyboards and flatcables
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 19 of 31
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    Good designer? Yes. Great? hmmmm ... all I can say: An AppleTV remote which is rectangular so that you always have to LOOK to see where is top and where is bottom ....
    AI_lias
  • Reply 20 of 31
    elfig2012elfig2012 Posts: 63member
    elfig2012 said:
    Yep another purchase!
    And Please....don’t insult people because they have an opinion!!
    avon b7