2019 iPhone XR with dual cameras and square camera bump could look like this

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2019
The 2019 version of the iPhone XR may join the updated variants of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max in having a square camera bump, renders of the smartphone speculate, but rather than using a triple-camera setup like its stablemates, the model is supposedly going to have just two cameras.

The bulk of the rumors relating to the 2019 iPhone releases tends towards describing the features of the premium two devices, with relatively little claimed to be happening to the cheaper of the three expected models. Rumors from late April suggest that, while the upper two models will shift from two cameras to three, the iPhone XR's 2019 counterpart would see a similar upgrade from one camera to two.

Renders from PriceBaba and Onleaks suggest the appearance of the 2019 "iPhone XR" could see similar changes to the design as seen in earlier renders of the 2019 iPhone. At the front is the notch with Face ID and the side buttons all appear to be the same as what is currently offered in the iPhone XR, but the back is slightly different.

Like the other render, the iPhone XR uses a single square camera module that sticks out of the back of the casing, seemingly using a similar production technique where it is actually part of the rear glass panel, rather than a separate component slotted into place. While the other iPhone renders speculate a triangular configuration for the camera lenses, the latest one features just two, one above the other.

The extra space of the square camera bump isn't entirely wasted, as it is depicted as having a flash positioned where the third camera lens would be, as well as a small dot signifying the location of a microphone.

It is unclear exactly how the details were sourced for the renders, making it difficult to ascertain how genuine they could be. The other renders for the main iPhones are claimed to have been from a "final CAD render of the device," which is not the case here.

The accompanying report claims it could be called the "iPhone XE," while the other two . 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch models could be the "XI and XI Max."

For the "iPhone XE," it is speculated the display will remain at 6.1 inches with a similar LCD panel and resolution of 1,792x828 pixels as the iPhone XR. In terms of size, it will apparently be 150.9 by 76.1 millimeters, and 7.8 millimeters thick, increasing to 8.5 millimeters at the camera bump.

Details of the cameras included in the bump are also largely unknown, but it is likely Apple will use a similar wide-angle and telephoto arrangement as it does for other dual-lens cameras, this time with a pair of 12-megapixel sensors. Also in the box will be an 18-Watt charger, according to rumors, while battery capacity will be similar to the iPhone XR.

As with other rumors and "leaks" relating to the iPhone, there is no guarantee any are correct until Apple actually brings the devices on stage during its usual September presentation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I wonder what this design will be like lying on a table: more or less stable than the current single lens design.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    JMCKEVERJMCKEVER Posts: 23member

omg i hope this  are not the real deal ,guess i will hang on to my xs max
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 3 of 24
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    fugly
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Not loving the Back Bulge. At some point you have to consider whether it would be far more aesthetically pleasing to simply increase the phone’s thickness uniformly. Increasing the thickness doesn’t mean they have to stuff more heavy junk inside the chassis. Having a small amount of growth margin inside the chassis could potentially allow them to keep the same external form factor (and case compatibility) for several model years while still modifying the internals.  A slightly thicker, sleek, but well-balanced phone would still be very popular.

Yeah, I know, pragmatism has no place in the highly competitive handset market where everyone wants to be the thinnest and newest design on the market. But when you look at the automotive marketplace the highest volume and highest profit segment seems to be pickup trucks and SUVs and there’s nothing thin or elegant about these beasts. Pickups and SUVs, and even luxury brands like BMW, Porsche, and Jaguar keep getting bigger, thicker, and trending towards the Panzer Tank school of design philosophy, so who really knows whether thin, slim, and sexy will soon give way to thick, chunky, and bulldog face designs in the smartphone market as well. 
  • Reply 5 of 24
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    spice-boy said:
    fugly
    Cannot remember the last time I looked at the rear of my phone. O’h when I put case on 2 Years ago. Who cares what the bump looks like?
    rogifan_newArloTimetravelerSolikruegdudemike1albegarcdoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Evey phone has camera bump on back so it's nothing new. Most of us put case/cover on phones so doesn't matter vertical,horizontal,square,hex or elongated bump on back.
    rogifan_newmike1albegarcdoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 24
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    dewme said:
    Not loving the Back Bulge. At some point you have to consider whether it would be far more aesthetically pleasing to simply increase the phone’s thickness uniformly. Increasing the thickness doesn’t mean they have to stuff more heavy junk inside the chassis. Having a small amount of growth margin inside the chassis could potentially allow them to keep the same external form factor (and case compatibility) for several model years while still modifying the internals.  A slightly thicker, sleek, but well-balanced phone would still be very popular.

Yeah, I know, pragmatism has no place in the highly competitive handset market where everyone wants to be the thinnest and newest design on the market. But when you look at the automotive marketplace the highest volume and highest profit segment seems to be pickup trucks and SUVs and there’s nothing thin or elegant about these beasts. Pickups and SUVs, and even luxury brands like BMW, Porsche, and Jaguar keep getting bigger, thicker, and trending towards the Panzer Tank school of design philosophy, so who really knows whether thin, slim, and sexy will soon give way to thick, chunky, and bulldog face designs in the smartphone market as well. 
    Most people put their phone in a case. Once you do that there is no longer a camera bump.
    mike1doozydozenredraider11
  • Reply 8 of 24
    dewme said:

Maybe the mobile is just happy to see you. That is why it has a bulge.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I'm really hoping this comes to pass. I like the XR, not to mention the price compared to the XS. But I like the XS's twin lens camera. If the XR gets the Twin Lens camera then I'm there with bells on.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JMCKEVER said:
    omg i hope this  are not the real deal ,guess i will hang on to my xs max
    1) No need to quote the entire article, muchness twice.

2) If you're a happy XS Max user are you really a customer for the XR? Sounds dubious.

3) I think it looks fine, but I also appreciate Apple's focus on functionality and not so ill-fated need to make the camera look invisible on the back of a device which I neither look at and which a many do use a case. I don't use a case, but I do appreciate being able to feel the camera when I pick up my iPhone so I can orient it without having to look at it.
    tmaydoozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 24
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Wow what a bunch of excuse makers, Apple has helicopter parents and they are all posing here today. The iPhone and other premium cell phones are evolving into camera's first, messaging devices second and the actual phone somewhere tied with email for usage. I have the latest XS and it annoys me how it does not lie flat on a table and is prone to falling now that is has a big bump on it. The only benefit to the camera bump is signifying where the top is now that the home button is gone. 
    muthuk_vanalingamchemenginavon b7canukstorm
  • Reply 12 of 24
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    spice-boy said:
    Wow what a bunch of excuse makers, Apple has helicopter parents and they are all posing here today. The iPhone and other premium cell phones are evolving into camera's first, messaging devices second and the actual phone somewhere tied with email for usage. I have the latest XS and it annoys me how it does not lie flat on a table and is prone to falling now that is has a big bump on it. The only benefit to the camera bump is signifying where the top is now that the home button is gone. 
    The bump in the 2019 is rumored to be smaller than the 2017 and 2018 models. It won’t lay perfectly flat on a table, but it’s rocking will will be a little less, or its flatness while laying on a table will be a little better. This comes at the cost of the thickness nearing 8 mm though.

I’m with you on this. I’d give up on camera quality for a bumpless, thinner device, something in the 6 mm to 7 mm range. Same thing with the iPads. No bumps on the back please. I’d take less performant camera for flatness. Wish this was an option like storage is.

The tech media is too obsessed with still camera imagery in phones, to the point that it is basically the only thing they care about when considering the quality of a phone. I basically skip the camera review section of smartphone reviews.
    spice-boymacplusplus
  • Reply 13 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    dewme said:

Most people put their phone in a case. Once you do that there is no longer a camera bump.
    So the case is a prosthetic device to compensate for a design defect? Why would Apple designers accept such a compromise and deviation from perfection when they have free reign to do whatever they have to do to make it perfect?
    designr
  • Reply 14 of 24
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    What? Still no 3D touch?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    10 release new phone design
    20 complain that the back is ugly
    30 wait 
    40 get used to it
    50 other companies copy
    60 it's now normal
    70 go to 10.
    Soli
  • Reply 16 of 24
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    dewme said:

you keep saying that... But a lot of us don't. And we don't want a camera bump. Which is why I upgraded to an SE instead of a 6S. I'll wait for the camera bumps to go away. 
    chemengin
  • Reply 17 of 24
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    dewme said:
    dewme said:

So the case is a prosthetic device to compensate for a design defect? Why would Apple designers accept such a compromise and deviation from perfection when they have free reign to do whatever they have to do to make it perfect?
    “design defect” – aggressive wording, lol. You’re overreaching by a mile. 
  • Reply 18 of 24
    dewme said:
    dewme said:

No the case exists so if you drop your phone you’re less likely to break it.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    cornchip said:
    dewme said:

you keep saying that... But a lot of us don't. And we don't want a camera bump. Which is why I upgraded to an SE instead of a 6S. I'll wait for the camera bumps to go away. 
    Then I suspect you’ll be waiting forever.
    canukstormredraider11
  • Reply 20 of 24
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Hopefully copycats will not coppy such design that often or easily.