Google reveals Pixel 3a and 3a XL smartphones, Nest Hub Max with added camera

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    ..... *sigh* what a fu**ing parody.

When something fails rename it seems to be the Google cliche.

Google Home Hub - so, it's like an iPad? But on a stand?

Their whole events are Apple knockoffs. They even use line-by-line dialog that copies Apple keynotes. It's scary.

I made a video on this:

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    So they dropped one of the front facing cameras and reduced the price. I get it! It's a reference design for mid-tier Android phones!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    olsols Posts: 50member
    Is this now GoogleInsider - have I subscribed to the wrong forum?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    ols said:
    Is this now GoogleInsider - have I subscribed to the wrong forum?
    Some of us use both iOS and Android. This is an Apple centric site not an Apple exclusive site.

Switching to Android in my case (although I use iOS on tablets and the wife's XR) opened my eyes to what is on the other side. Some may prefer to live in an Apple bubble. I, and others, don't.

Information is essential. Filtering out information regarding Apple's main competitors doesn't do anyone any favours although it's a relatively small part of the content anyway. 

Nice to have, and with the exception of DED editorials (which are normally clearly marked as opinion pieces) the information is well balanced.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 30
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    stoneyg said:
    gatorguy said:
    Google Home Hub - so, it's like an iPad? But on a stand?
    No sir, in both intent and design. 

(Some of this quoted) The Nest Hub Max can act as an indoor security camera that streams a live feed of your home to your phone. With a camera now included the Nest Hub Max can recognize your face when you arrive home and will bring up a personalized home page, such as calendar notifications or your own photos for the background slideshow. The feature is called Face Match which Google says the device processes locally and does not upload to the cloud. You can also use it for video calls ala' Alexa....

So...like an iPad.
    With a stand. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    gatorguy said:
    Yeah controlling & operating things and photos and calendars...that still sounds like a tablet. I don’t know why I’d want to perform those use cases on a fixed-stand device. 

Good luck with the launch. 
    YOU probably wouldn't based on what you've said you want from a voice assistant or device (ex. smartspeaker). I don't see a need for one either. Buyers would be those who do see the value in something more than you or I personally want. 
    Yes, like the Withings Bluetooth hair brush for instance. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mike54 said:
    For those who are unsure, Google Pixel phones:
    OS updates: 2 years from US release date
    security updates: 3 years from US release date
    Incorrect. No idea where you got that. I'm well beyond those already on my circa 2016 Pixel and receiving the latest OS version,  Android Q, the fourth one available for the OG Pixel.
    This quote is directly from Google support page:

Android version updates

Pixel phones get the latest version of Android directly from Google.

If you bought your device from the Google Store, updates will typically reach your device within 2 weeks. If you bought your device elsewhere, updates can take longer.

Pixel phones get Android version updates for at least 3 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store.

Security updates

Pixel phones get updates for security issues documented in our Public Android Security Bulletins.

Pixel phones get security updates for at least 3 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store.

If the duration is longer, Pixel 3, Pixel 2, and Pixel (2016) phones get security updates for at least 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device. 

Note that support may extend beyond, but will be no less than the above. 

edited May 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 30
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    gatorguy said:
    Even the original Pixel phone is still supported with the latest OS version (I'm running Android Q, the fourth version available to the OG Pixel) along with regular monthly security updates.
    I was referring to warranty support -- the original Pixel phone is no longer supported for repairs (https://www.awaqa.com/update-warranty-google-confirmes-support-end-pixel-xl/), and hasn't been for a year. That was just two years after its release. I should have made that clearer, sorry.

Glad to hear that it's still running the current version of Android, but officially support for Android updates ended last October, and security updates will stop after this October (https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/google-confirms-end-of-life-support-dates-for-pixel-phones-1687043), so it looks like that's the end of the road for the original Pixel.

The Pixel 2/2XL is getting three years (https://www.droid-life.com/2017/10/19/google-support-double-confirms-pixel-2s-3-years-worth-android-version-updates/).
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 30
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    PS. Forgot to mention: no way in #@&! hell am I putting a Nest (of vipers) camera or a Facebook Show et al in my house, ever. Given the poor track record of video "smart" doorbells for security/privacy thus far, not doing any of those either.
    watto_cobra