Apple Watch Series 4 screen declared 'Display of the Year'

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 2020
Apple is being honored as a winner in the 25th Display Industry Awards, receiving the accolade of "Display of the Year" for the LTPO OLED screen used in the Apple Watch Series 4, as one of three winners for pushing the display industry forward with outstanding features.

Presented by the Society for Information Display, the Display Industry Awards are presented to product vendors and component producers for creating outstanding screens and display panels, as well as innovative uses of displays in a variety of different fields.

"Display of the Year" is granted to multiple winners with "the most significant technological advances and/or outstanding features," with the Apple Watch Series 4 identified as one of the three to be granted the title in 2019.

Declaring it a striking display, SID calls it "the defining feature of Apple Watch," in part due to the design challenge of making "the display bigger without noticeably increasing the size of the case or compromising the battery." In doing so, the narrow borders helped increase the display size by more than 30 percent compared to the Series 3.

Also helping with the achievement is the use of low-temperature polycrystalline oxid (LTPO), an OLED backplane technology developed by Apple that helps increase power efficiency, allowing the Apple Watch's battery to last throughout a user's day.

Apple is joined as a winner of Display of the Year by Samsung for its modular microLED display called "The Wall," and Sony's Crystal LED Display System.

The Display Industry Awards consider products released in the previous calendar year, and selects a total of seven winners across three categories. Winners are selected by a "distinguished panel of experts" examining the degree of technical innovation, commercial significance, and their potential for positive social impact.

In 2018, Apple won two awards, with the iPad Pro screens named as Displays of the Year for its ProMotion technology, while the iPhone X's edge-to-edge design was celebrated in the "Display Applications of the Year" category.

The Display Industry Awards Luncheon will be held on May 15 as part of Display Week, to be held this year at the San Jose Convention McEnery Center from May 12 until May 17.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    Congrats. I have it and subjectively I can all but confirm it. 
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I bet the digital crown is totally gonna crush on the Excellence in Buttons Awards this fall 
    edited May 2019 AI_liascornchipMisterKittyler82beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 8
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I bet the digital crown is totally gonna crush on the Excellence in Buttons Awards this fall 

😆

when is the “Strap Attachment Award” event again?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Well I love my Apple Watch 4. Going from 42mm to 44mm, that's 2mm. I'm looking at my Micrometer at 2mm. That works out to .079 thousands of a inch. The thickness of 15 sheets of paper. Yet everything on the screen is so much larger than my Original Apple Watch. Not only larger, but able to fit more data on the screen. It's also so much faster than my old one. Siri talks on this one where Siri didn't on my old one.

By the way, I got mine NEW for $370 and no tax from Craigslist. A kid needed money to take a trip. Fine by me. it was still in the sealed box. Oh I opened it and checked it out. I got my Original slightly used for $300 from Craiglist which included a second charger and 3 Apple bands, a red, white and blue one!!!! There was someone selling one slightly used, with LTE for $300. All these are the larger sized watches.

I think it's a great way to get things for much cheaper. $370 is better than $429+Tax. Or you wait for the Apple Watch 5 and buy a 4 when the price drops.
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    jbdragon said:
    By the way, I got mine NEW for $370 and no tax from Craigslist. A kid needed money to take a trip. Fine by me. it was still in the sealed box. Oh I opened it and checked it out. I got my Original slightly used for $300 from Craiglist which included a second charger and 3 Apple bands, a red, white and blue one!!!! There was someone selling one slightly used, with LTE for $300. All these are the larger sized watches.

I think it's a great way to get things for much cheaper. $370 is better than $429+Tax. 
    I've seen the series 4 44mm, Apple versions and NIKE versions going for $379 recently from various retailers, such as Best Buy. That's without tax included though of course. The 40 mm I've seen for $349.
    tyler82watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    jbdragon said:
    I think it's a great way to get things for much cheaper. $370 is better than $429+Tax. 
    yeah but what if it's cursed. this sounds like some needful things shit
  • Reply 7 of 8
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Good work Apple and partners. hope you will get another for MicroLED in future Watches one as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    The AW4 is a huge upgrade from my original AW0. Almost like a different product. It actually lasts a whole day, doesn't ignore inputs, actually responds in an interactive way. The screen is indeed gorgeous. Someone said this is the AW Apple wanted to ship originally, and in my view that is very accurate. AW4 is the poster child for never buy a first model year anything.
    watto_cobra