60 percent of US gamers play on iPhones and other smartphones, industry group says

Posted:
in iPhone
A majority of American adults play games, and of those, 60 percent spend some or all of their play time on smartphones, according to the industry's Entertainment Software Association.

The Talos Principle, one of the most popular iPhone games at the moment.
The Talos Principle, one of the most popular iPhone games at the moment.

Over 164 million Americans -- close to 65 percent -- are some form of gamer, the ESA said in data shared with Reuters. The organization noted that about half of that group plays on computers and/or consoles, which may imply that many iPhone and Android gamers are simply on those platforms when they're away from home.

46 percent of gamers are women, and those 18 to 34 tend to prefer playing on their phones, the ESA added. One favorite is the mobile puzzler "Candy Crush," but other top games include the console/PC-centric "Tomb Raider" and "Assassin's Creed" series.

Men in the same age range skew towards consoles, their favorite games being "God of War," "Madden NFL," and "Fortnite."

People aged 55 to 64 reportedly prefer traditional games -- "Solitaire" and "Scrabble" among men, "Mahjong" and "Monopoly" among women.

U.S. industry revenues hit $43.4 billion in 2018, most of that coming from content rather than devices and accessories. Content spending in fact increased 20 percent, likely a reflection of the growing use of in-app purchases across platforms. Mobile games often depend on a "free-to-play" model in which progress is slower without paying. Console and PC games normally cost money upfront, minus the rare subscription service, but many also ofter paid cosmetics or expansions, and "Fortnite" and "Apex Legends" have become free-to-play hits.

Partly to shift more of the mobile industry towards an upfront model, Apple is preparing to launch Apple Arcade sometime this fall. Users will have to pay a monthly subscription fee, but that should allow developers to make money on games that aren't designed around recurring payments -- if the service has enough A-list offerings to attract the public.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I’m not doubting the numbers here, I really have no idea. For Apple Arcade’s sake I hope these figures are accurate.

I feel like if I did my own “survey” just among people I know I think most would not consider themselves gamers, even though they may fall into that category in this report. I guarantee you that my mother wouldn’t consider herself a gamer, even though she most certainly plays Solitaire and other card games on her phone. She will not be an Apple Arcade subscriber.

Then there are friends of mine who are in their mid to late twenties who DO consider themselves gamers but also claim not to engage in mobile gaming, just console and PC (FPS being the genre of choice). Will they be Apple Arcade subscribers? Potentially.

Certainly Apple has their own numbers to go off of in regard to game usage on iOS.

I’m intrigued by Apple Arcade but I’m on the fence. We’ll see soon enough.
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 2 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Seems low to me if including silly stuff like Solitaire.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gatorguy said:
    Why did you choose to demean people who enjoy playing Solitaire? Do only stupid people play Solitaire?
    edited May 2019 gutengelberndog
  • Reply 4 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    Why did you choose to demean people who enjoy playing Solitaire? Do only stupid people play Solitaire?
    Slow morning huh, LOL!

My wife plays Solitaire, and fairly regularly. I've played a game or two this year "just because". Otherwise we don't play games even tho we have game capable simple stuff around the house like Nvidia's Shield.

So neither of us are gamers as such but would probably have been counted as two more in this survey because we played Solitaire.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 5 of 12
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    The term Gamer is often co-opted by the hardcore console game players but it truly does describe anyone who plays any game on a regular basis, IMO. 
    gilly33
  • Reply 6 of 12
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Does that 60% also include other mobile devices, because I play games 0% on my iPhone, but I play often on my iPad. I also sometimes play on desktop, but my iPad beats out the desktop too in terms of time spent playing.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Imagine if one of the world's big problems could be broken into pieces and gamified so instead of people zoning out playing candy crush, they could solve something together. No, I'm not a hippy, just thinking about all of the things I could have done with the time I spent during my own candy crush phase.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    techsavytechsavy Posts: 34member
    I feel the numbers don't really reflect how many people would be interested in Apple Arcade. I assume that most of that percentage is very casual players who have their candy crush or some other game and stick with it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    kruegdude said:
    The term Gamer is often co-opted by the hardcore console game players but it truly does describe anyone who plays any game on a regular basis, IMO. 
    Respectfully, and I know you're stating your opinion, "Gamers" does refer to hard-core console and PC players. If you said you were a gamer that plays Candy Crush on you phone, you would be laughed at.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    Didn't you read his post? SILLY people play solitaire! :tongue: 

You're being too sensitive - by 'silly' he was referring to solitaire (as opposed to more 'serious' games like Fortnight, etc,) not the people playing it.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 11 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

bigtds said:
    kruegdude said:
    Respectfully, and I know you're stating your opinion, "Gamers" does refer to hard-core console and PC players. If you said you were a gamer that plays Candy Crush on you phone, you would be laughed at.
    From the article, "A majority of American adults play games, and of those, 60 percent spend some or all of their play time on smartphones...Over 164 million Americans -- close to 65 percent -- are some form of gamer"

It seems like they are taking a very loose definition of the term 'gamer' and appear to include everyone from the people playing Candy Crush to the hard core console gamers. That's what surveys like this often do - they use a broad definition to make the numbers seem larger and justify their conclusion.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Atomic77Atomic77 Posts: 64member
    Don’t forget the thousands of people who play Pokémon Go one of the few mobile games that works best on iPhone or other smartphones.  It doesn’t matter what games you play or what you play on your still a gamer as long as you play games .