New aerial Apple Park video shows mystery rainbow stage

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Fredo said:
    Does nobody see the gras trampled down? 
    The event already took place!

Nope.

The video shows the crew setting up the stage over a period of hours.

A teardown would display far different activity and progress. The first stuff to be removed would be the most fragile and expensive: the A/V equipment. This type of setup would be easily dismantled in a day.

Also, social media would have provided ample documentation of the event if it had already happened.

Clearly, the event has not taken place yet.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 62 of 89
    FredoFredo Posts: 3member
    This installation is for more than one event?
    mattinoz
  • Reply 63 of 89
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    It’s an employee special event to take place on May 17th. For those who noticed the colors are from the original Apple logo, you are correct. The rainbow stage was created by Jony Ive as a tribute to Steve Jobs. 

More to come when it happens. 
    dsd
  • Reply 64 of 89
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Would be a kickass WWDC stage. Too early though I bet and I don't think it takes place there.... Wishful thinking.
  • Reply 65 of 89
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    It’s an employee special event to take place on May 17th. For those who noticed the colors are from the original Apple logo, you are correct. The rainbow stage was created by Jony Ive as a tribute to Steve Jobs. 

I looked up significant dates for Jobs on that day. All I could find was the birth of his daughter Lisa. His birth and death aren’t even close to May so is the date not important to this tribute to Jobs?
  • Reply 66 of 89
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    mpantone said:
    Yes, Pride Week is in June. It's a little early to be setting up a stage for June festivities.
    I don't see any speaker or lighting rigs, so ... my guess is they wanted to get the basic stage set up first, then the stage rigging, then the Jumbotrons, then the seating ... etc etc.

Others have mentioned May 17 and that does indeed seem like the likely explanation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they left it up until the beginning of June to use it again for a Pride celebration. Or perhaps not. In any event, it's great to see the park in the centre looking so great and also being used for company events, as they said it would in the original plans Jobs laid out.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 67 of 89
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Soli said:

I looked up significant dates for Jobs on that day. All I could find was the birth of his daughter Lisa. His birth and death aren’t even close to May so is the date not important to this tribute to Jobs?
    Not sure, just going off of the information I have heard. There will be a private employee event that will be limited to Santa Clarita employees on the 17th. The pictures I have seen of these arches are really cool. They were designed by Ives and I would expect some sort of announcement soon. 

The event is both a celebration of the opening of the new campus and a tribute to Steve. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 68 of 89
    I think you mean Santa Clara County employees.

If it is indeed an employee-only event (which one would expect based on the location within the ring's interior courtyard), there will likely be no public announcement, just an internal memo.

Amusingly, there is a chance of rain in the current forecast for Friday May 17th. Perhaps they will issue colorful rain ponchos to attendees!
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 69 of 89
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    These are also the colors of the old Apple logo.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    mpantone said:
    Soli said:
    mpantone said:
    Yes, Pride Week is in June. It's a little early to be setting up a stage for June festivities.
    If I'm not mistaken, that happens on the last Saturday in June.

It is the last weekend in June. There is no way in hell Apple is setting up a stage in early May for an event that is taking place in late June. It makes zero sense.

All they would accomplish would be accumulating seven weeks of damage from the elements, bird poop, dust, and pollen. Not to mention complete suffocation of any plants (like grass) underneath the construction.

Anyone who thinks this structure is for SF Pride Week is delusional.

The main event in San Francisco -- the parade -- takes place on Sunday the 30th this year. The parade has always been on a Sunday for as long as I can remember.
    If Pride is somewhere in June, Apple will celebrate it in May because otherwise May gets discriminated
  • Reply 71 of 89
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    mpantone said:

If it is indeed an employee-only event (which one would expect based on the location within the ring's interior courtyard), there will likely be no public announcement, just an internal memo.
    That would explain the presence of the black barrier fencing around the entire set up. If it were for Apple employees that likely wouldn’t be necessary. 
  • Reply 72 of 89
    GarGomGarGom Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Those are the colors of the old apple logo in exact order, not the LGBT flag..
  • Reply 73 of 89
    mpantone said:

That would explain the presence of the black barrier fencing around the entire set up. If it were for Apple employees that likely wouldn’t be necessary. 
    The barrier is to prevent employees from wandering into a construction site. It’s for liability reasons.

In the same way, similar barriers are erected during other types of construction, renovation, etc. 

For example, there is a fence erected around the Fifth Avenue Store in NYC while renovations are underway. That prevents Apple Store employees from the adjacent temporary store from entering the work site.

It's for their safety.

This is not unique to Apple. I will bet you a buffalo nickel that you will find such fencing at Notre Dame de Paris.

And you will see similar fencing at pretty much every major international airport on this planet on any day of the year.
    edited May 2019 pscooter63cgWerks
  • Reply 74 of 89
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Whatever it is, it looks like a concert due to the numerous speakers mounted on the vertical poles.    But it doesn't look like that area could hold all the employees in that building if that building is now full.   

Campus is looking good.   And it proves that both Apple Maps and Google Maps are way behind in getting recent satellite photos of the area.  

• Reply 75 of 89
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    anome said:
    Soli said:
    chasm said:
    Clearly there are not enough LGBTQ2 people on this forum that it took the tenth post to mention Pride month!
    That's in June. This isn't only May, but the beginning of May. What I assume was the person that wrote the article mentioned well before post 10 that there are no LGBT events this month.
    Again, Friday, May 17 is International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia.
    Haven't heard of that. Which only highlights the need for it. I look forward to all the bros asking when the day against Heterophobia is, once more highlighting the need for this day. (Obviously, there isn't a day against Heterophobia, because that isn't a thing.)
    See: Titania McGrath
  • Reply 77 of 89
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    apple ][ said:
    Picture blown up. Same exact colors as LGBT flag.
    Not saying much as a rainbow is a rainbow. Isn't it always the same colors? Though I'd have to agree it's more than likely having to so with LGBT. I'm just wondering, where's the Straight Pride Parades and whatnot?

Really though, why are they trying to single themselves out? It's the gay spectacle out there. I don't want that crap thrown in my face. If LGBT is just fine and dandy, then everything else should be also. How about a Polyamorous Pride Month and Parade for example. Why not? Just open the flood gates to everything. Why not a 12 year old Girl and a 30 year old Man, or Woman for that matter wanting to get married. What's wrong with that then?
  • Reply 78 of 89
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Hoping Apple Music might be putting on a Summer series of concerts for the new TV subscription.   That stage does look like it has been build to be up for months not days. 
  • Reply 79 of 89
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    More virtue signaling 

cant wait.

As an investor and a person - when Tim “came out” - I had no problem.  He seemed smart enough to keep it professional.
    (kind of like keeping church and state separate).

its sad to see this constant and steadily growing virtue signaling.
    The handle is fitting.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    jbdragon said:
    apple ][ said:
    Picture blown up. Same exact colors as LGBT flag.
    Not saying much as a rainbow is a rainbow. Isn't it always the same colors? Though I'd have to agree it's more than likely having to so with LGBT. I'm just wondering, where's the Straight Pride Parades and whatnot?

Really though, why are they trying to single themselves out? It's the gay spectacle out there. I don't want that crap thrown in my face. 
    Who is throwing crap in your face? People are just trying to enjoy their lives, get over it.

If LGBT is just fine and dandy, then everything else should be also. How about a Polyamorous Pride Month and Parade for example. Why not? 
    There are polyamory marches in various Pride parades all over the place. Got a problem with that? 

Just open the flood gates to everything. Why not a 12 year old Girl and a 30 year old Man, or Woman for that matter wanting to get married. What's wrong with that then?
    It's illegal, for one.