Apple shipped 4.5M iPhone XRs in North America last quarter, estimates say

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2019
The iPhone XR was easily the most popular smartphone in North America during the March quarter, with shipments of about 4.5 million, according to Canalys research estimates.

iPhone XR

If accurate, the figure gives the XR a 13 percent marketshare versus all other smartphones. The next-best results came for Samsung's Galaxy S10+ and S10e, which each reached 2 million units, or 6 percent.

Overall Apple reportedly shipped 14.6 million iPhones, down 19 percent year-over-year but still enough to take a 40 percent of the market. Samsung's marketshare rose from 23 to 29 percent, which Canalys credits to an early launch for the S10 line and attractive features, such as a triple-lens rear camera and a "hole-punch" edge-to-edge display, interrupted only by the front-facing camera.

"Samsung also benefited from carrier promotions in Q1, which used the Galaxy S10e as an incentive," wrote analyst Vincent Thielke.

Apple relied on trade-in promotions, as well as retail and carrier discounts on older hardware. There was allegedly a "disconnect between channel orders and consumer demand," but with an "uptick" in XR shipments in March.

The company's main obstacle moving into 2020 is that recent iPhones are "just not different enough," Thielke argued. "For its performance to improve in 2020, Apple will need to emphasize radical new features that are most likely to impress consumers."

The North American smartphone market as a whole dropped 18 percent to 36.4 million units, the lowest amount in five years. Canalys blamed this on "lackluster peformance by Apple," and the relative absence of ZTE, which was blocked from government use last August. ZTE phones are still available from U.S. carriers in small numbers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    it's like the entire populations of Los Angeles and Las Vegas combined all bought (new) iPhones. In a quarter of a year. that's insane.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 25
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    I can see why it is selling so well. It is far and away the best iPhone I have ever owned (iPhone 1, 4, 5s). It’s fast, screen looks great, and the camera is more than adequate for my needs. I am sure it gets great word of mouth recommendations, from myself included. Any features Apple may add in future iterations would be gravy, in my opinion. 
    albegarcchasmracerhomie3n2itivguy
  • Reply 3 of 25
    albegarcalbegarc Posts: 50member
    hexclock said:
    I can see why it is selling so well. It is far and away the best iPhone I have ever owned (iPhone 1, 4, 5s). It’s fast, screen looks great, and the camera is more than adequate for my needs. I am sure it gets great word of mouth recommendations, from myself included. Any features Apple may add in future iterations would be gravy, in my opinion. 
    I agree compltely, The XR is the best iPhone I have ever owned. It has great features is really fast, a great camera etc.

chasmracerhomie3n2itivguy
  • Reply 4 of 25
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Nothing to question these numbers about XR.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Okay, here’s what’s going on in the comment section at another Apple tech blog...

Lenovo is up 42%, Apple is down 19%, therefore Lenovo FTW and Apple is on the way out. I didn't know that Lenovo even made smartphones. In other news Google’s smartphone sales are lumped in with “Others” apparently, because they are so insignificant?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 25
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    At what point have these "experts" ever been right.  Never, as I remember.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 25
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    Given that the iPhone is the standard to which all other phones are compared, and most other phone makers imitate the iPhone, I’m not sure it is fair to say that Apple is the one not offering enough differentiation.
    AppleExposedcornchip
  • Reply 8 of 25
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    mike54 said:
    As a contrast, the market share outside North America is very different.
    Actually across the world smartphones are in decline.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 9 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    wood1208 said:
    Nothing to question these numbers about XR.
    Actually ... said the nerd ... I think these numbers for the XR and overall iPhone sales are probably low!  I’m aware that they don’t include Canada, which probably sold another half-million or so, but still ... another analyst firm estimated iPhones have a 51 percent share of the US market ... that’s quite a difference from losing 0.3 percent to barely hold on to 40 percent share! 

I’m not saying either one of these are spot on, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle — but this just points out that none of these analysts actually have anything like a handle on the real numbers.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, here’s what’s going on in the comment section at another Apple tech blog...

Lenovo is up 42%, Apple is down 19%, therefore Lenovo FTW and Apple is on the way out. I didn't know that Lenovo even made smartphones. In other news Google’s smartphone sales are lumped in with “Others” apparently, because they are so insignificant?
    Why do you do that?  Create these negative narratives as if the world is against Apple. 
    There are two comments on MacRumors about Lenovo.  The one mentioning the 42% is this one: "Wow. 42% growth. Never even seen a Lenovo phone, on the net or otherwise."  That was some guy surprised by Lenovo's growth and acknowledging he's never seen a Lenovo phone.  There's a good reason.  Lenovo doesn't make a phone, Motorola does.  Lenovo just owns Motorola.  Nothing about Apple and definitely nothing negative about Apple. 

The other comment about Lenovo is this one: "The mobile market as a whole was down 18%, so Apple only did 1% worse. The only big winner against the down market was Lenovo, whose main innovation was keeping prices way down. That's Apple missing innovation."  That's a comment that's saying Lenovo won against a down market (which is true), not that Apple is on the way out.  It's also saying that Lenovo's innovation was basically lower pricing and Apple needs lower pricing.

It's like you only know negativity.  Google's smartphone sales have always been in the Other category.  They've never been significant enough to be anything other than Other.  Couple that with the fact that their Pixels are only sold by one carrier (Verizon)... the numbers are sure to be small.  Although Google had nothing to do with that thread, you still had the need to lkrupp it.  You need some happiness in your life bud.  Curmudgeon is not a good look. Do this.  Go to Youtube.  Type this in the search box:  True facts about... then pick any animal that's suggested.  zefrank1 will make you smile for 2-6 minutes.  You're welcome.  
    edited May 2019 bestkeptsecretmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin
  • Reply 11 of 25
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 12 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    lkrupp said:

Do this.  Go to Youtube.  Type this in the search box:  True facts about... then pick any animal that's suggested.  zefrank1 will make you smile for 2-6 minutes.  You're welcome.  
    The Morgan Freeman one is pretty boss.
    1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 13 of 25
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    When did AI start offering free counseling?  lol

Thanks 1stntinderbits, that was entertaining and refreshing.
    1STnTENDERBITSmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin
  • Reply 14 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Here's how it works:

The iKnockoff Knights claimed the XR would be a failure because of screen resolution. These idiots don't know the fact, after a certain PPI resolution is irrelevant.

Now that XR is being deemed a success, these morons now claim XS is a failure because it's being outsold by XR.

Apple: Doomed if they do, doomed if they don't.

lkrupp said:

Create these negative narratives as if the world is against Apple. 

How to spot someone new to Apple.
    conitorcornchip
  • Reply 15 of 25
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Actually across the world smartphones are in decline.
    Actually across the world sales of new smartphones are in decline.

There fixed it for you.
    Some of us buy 1yr old phones. This year the number to choose from has declined considerably.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    lkrupp said:

Why do you do that?  Create these negative narratives as if the world is against Apple. 
    There are two comments on MacRumors about Lenovo.  The one mentioning the 42% is this one: "Wow. 42% growth. Never even seen a Lenovo phone, on the net or otherwise."  That was some guy surprised by Lenovo's growth and acknowledging he's never seen a Lenovo phone.  There's a good reason.  Lenovo doesn't make a phone, Motorola does.  Lenovo just owns Motorola.  Nothing about Apple and definitely nothing negative about Apple. 

The other comment about Lenovo is this one: "The mobile market as a whole was down 18%, so Apple only did 1% worse. The only big winner against the down market was Lenovo, whose main innovation was keeping prices way down. That's Apple missing innovation."  That's a comment that's saying Lenovo won against a down market (which is true), not that Apple is on the way out.  It's also saying that Lenovo's innovation was basically lower pricing and Apple needs lower pricing.

It's like you only know negativity.  Google's smartphone sales have always been in the Other category.  They've never been significant enough to be anything other than Other.  Couple that with the fact that their Pixels are only sold by one carrier (Verizon)... the numbers are sure to be small.  Although Google had nothing to do with that thread, you still had the need to lkrupp it.  You need some happiness in your life bud.  Curmudgeon is not a good look. Do this.  Go to Youtube.  Type this in the search box:  True facts about... then pick any animal that's suggested.  zefrank1 will make you smile for 2-6 minutes.  You're welcome.  
    Is Macrumors the only other Apple tech blog?  I didn’t see the OP specifically mention any site by name ? Unless he edited the post ? 
  • Reply 17 of 25
    jcs2305 said:
    lkrupp said:

There are two comments on MacRumors about Lenovo.  
    {snipped for brevity}
    Is Macrumors the only other Apple tech blog?  I didn’t see the OP specifically mention any site by name ? Unless he edited the post ? 
    MR isn't the only tech blog.  lkrupp likes to pop in there from time to time to try to stir the pot by slinging arrows.  When I saw his comment I knew the exact comments he was addressing because there weren't that many at the time.  I'd bet good money he'd tell you those comments were the exact comments he was addressing.  It definitely wasn't 9to5 because I am still the only person to comment on their article. I noted they left out the fact that the XR was the #1 selling phone in Q1.  
    edited May 2019 chemengin
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Here's how it works:

{snipped for brevity}
    lkrupp said:

Create these negative narratives as if the world is against Apple. 

How to spot someone new to Apple.
    I am probably no more new to Apple than you are.  I just don't have a persecution complex regarding Apple.  Regardless of how new I am, it doesn't change my opinion of the negative narrative in that and many other comments... across this site and others.  Worse, truth or facts don't seem to be necessary to build those narratives.  
    edited May 2019 avon b7chemenginmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 25
    mike54 said:
    As a contrast, the market share outside North America is very different.
    Keep in mind that the vast majority of sales by Samsung and others are NOT their flagship products but low end stuff. This report does not separate the two markets. So if your objective was to point out that Apple has lower market share outside of North America that’s not quite true when taking into consideration what market Apple sells in.
    cornchip
  • Reply 20 of 25

jcs2305 said:
    lkrupp said:

There are two comments on MacRumors about Lenovo.  
    {snipped for brevity}
    MR isn't the only tech blog.  lkrupp likes to pop in there from time to time to try to stir the pot by slinging arrows.  When I saw his comment I knew the exact comments he was addressing because there weren't that many at the time.  I'd bet good money he'd tell you those comments were the exact comments he was addressing.  It definitely wasn't 9to5 because I am still the only person to comment on their article. I noted they left out the fact that the XR was the #1 selling phone in Q1.  
    Maybe the “world” isn’t against Apple but the comment sections of tech blogs certainly are, in spades. And opinion is not truth. When someone posts, “Siri sucks” that’s not truth. Reports like this one are not truth. When the attacks are absolutely predictable, coming with each and every article published, that says something. So those constantly expressing negativity about Apple are being objective with their opinions but those who support Apple are just fanboys. Is that how the tech blog world operates? What exactly are truth and facts in an anonymous tech blog comment section?
    edited May 2019