LG UltraFine 5K display sold out on online Apple store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
Apple this week appears to have halted sales of the LG UltraFine 5K display, potentially signaling a near future launch for a branded high-resolution monitor expected to launch alongside a new modular Mac Pro.

LG UltraFine

The LG display is now listed as sold out on Apple.com, while in-store supply is exhausted at many U.S. brick-and-mortar locations.

A similar situation occurred late last year when domestic Apple stores, as well as a few international locales, showed wide unavailability of the 5K display. At the time, however, the monitor could still be ordered for delivery.

The UltraFine 5K stockout follows Apple's discontinuation of the LG UltraFine 4K display in April. With both LG UltraFine models no longer available from Apple, it can be speculated that the tech giant is readying a successor device for launch.

LG's UltraFine 4K and 5K displays were introduced in October 2016, designed as part of a collaborative effort with Apple to complement then-new MacBook Pro models.

Apple announced work on a professional-grade standalone monitor in 2017, initially promising release alongside an all-new Mac Pro in 2018. The company later pushed back the Mac debut into 2019, but failed to offer a release timeline for its new monitor, leaving some to believe it would see unveiling at an earlier date.

While Apple has yet to detail hardware specifications, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in February said the device will measure 31.6 inches on the diagonal and house a 6K3K panel boasting "outstanding picture quality thanks to its adoption of the Mini LED-like backlight design." Kuo in a separate note to investors issued in April predicted Apple to launch the display in the next few months.

Most recently, a report this week claims Apple might preview both the Mac Pro and display at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in June. AppleInsider will be covering the event live.

Though the LG UltraFine 5K is no longer available from Apple's online store, those in the market can still find the display at various retailers like B&H Photo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Oh I really want this new monitor to be announced now. The anticipation is killing me. I’ve got two LG 5Ks that I’m hoping I can find a buyer for. I’m considering selling them as a two for the price of (a new) one; anyone think that’s a decent value? No WiFi issues and after calibration they are almost identical to my MBP display. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Oh I really want this new monitor to be announced now. The anticipation is killing me. I’ve got two LG 5Ks that I’m hoping I can find a buyer for. I’m considering selling them as a two for the price of (a new) one; anyone think that’s a decent value? No WiFi issues and after calibration they are almost identical to my MBP display. 
    I wouldn't anticipate it being cheap though. I too would like to see Apple branded displays again. I bet the Apple display will be more expensive than the most expensive LG display. I guess we'll see in time. 
    edited May 2019 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I fear what the Mac pro will be.
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 21
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Why sell? I have a LG 5k and its a top notch display. 
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    OMG. This post makes me sick. 
    aknabityler82
  • Reply 6 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    If Apple can stop making a display to come back years later with an excellent product, then her’s hoping they will do the same for mesh networking.
    chasmcornchipcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    sirozha said:

Deal with it dude. We've put up with your posts, haven't we?
    chasmradarthekatmacxpressStrangeDayscornchipfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sirozha said:
    I’m not even sure why he’s so emotional. That sounds like a good deal for those monitors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Ming-Chi Kuo, always playing coy -- as if he doesn't know when WWDC will be. Most amusing.

As for the display itself, you can count on it being aimed at working video/graphics professionals, and priced accordingly. A 32-inch 6K3K that meets Apple's standards for high quality? For everyone but the people who make that kind of money in a productive day or two, that's going to include sticker shock free with purchase, I'd guess.
    watto_cobraelijahg
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I think it likely there will be a Mac mini-friendly offering — it can drive either two 4K displays or one 5K display. Ideally Apple would supply both but I’ll bet on the 5K only, priced for consumers. Then also a high-end 6K3K as rumored, not priced for consumers. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    No matter how you look at it you are selling used electronics!   As such you will need to find a buyer that is desperate for those specific monitors.    Other wise you are talking ten to twenty cents on the dollar.  I certainly wouldn’t pay much more.   

Beyond that what has you so excited about an Apple monitor that doesn’t even exist yet?   You never know it might be engineered by the same people that did the laptop keyboards.   Yes I know that isn’t likely but let’s face it it is all junk until proven otherwise.  
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I think it likely there will be a Mac mini-friendly offering — it can drive either two 4K displays or one 5K display. Ideally Apple would supply both but I’ll bet on the 5K only, priced for consumers. Then also a high-end 6K3K as rumored, not priced for consumers. 

I’d be happy to see Apple market a quality 4K display at a rational price point.   The problem with Apple of late is that they don’t seem to grasp that there is a wide array of what could’ve called professional users.  It isn’t a one size fits all world.  

elijahg
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:
    I’m not even sure why he’s so emotional. That sounds like a good deal for those monitors.
    For some it might seem like a good deal but the reality is they are used electronics.  People don’t even bother to try to repair this stuff anymore.   Scrappers won’t even touch used monitors sitting at the curb.  

A seller of these monitors might get lucky but timing is everything here.    He would need to find someone that needs the monitors, can accept that they are used and is willing to pay the price.  The minute Apple and others come out with new monitors it is all over.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 427member
    Soli said:
    If Apple can stop making a display to come back years later with an excellent product, then her’s hoping they will do the same for mesh networking.
    Yes
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    entropys said:
    Well, that’s productive. I hope the display remains 16:10 or at best 16:9. Vertical real estate is already cramped and making it some damned ultra wide is just dumb at best, ergo-hostile at worst.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    sirozha said:

Hardly. 
  • Reply 17 of 21
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    entropys said:
    Well, that’s productive. I hope the display remains 16:10 or at best 16:9. Vertical real estate is already cramped and making it some damned ultra wide is just dumb at best, ergo-hostile at worst.
    I find this too - why I opted out of 5k @ 27" for 4k @ 40" @ 110dpi matching the 27" Apple diplay(s) I use in portrait mode. 

With lower graphics GPU demand the available vertical real estate is 2160p minimum & 2560 for remarkable news tabloid, research and spreadsheet review
    and why I hope the user installable VESA kit returns to the iMac...

Pros have different needs and I hope we see a range if the LG is being discontinued. I'd be happy to see the 27" TB display simply upgraded to USB3/TB3 for those on a budget as well.

Is the multiple monitor graphics capabilities (4@4K60) of the macbook pro one of its most desirable and truly 'pro' features...?

I generally expect hardware updates the Tuesday after quarterly reporting - could it be such timing helps AAPL share prices after the (usually) good news starts to fade ?
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 18 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    wizard69 said:
    Beyond that what has you so excited about an Apple monitor that doesn’t even exist yet?   You never know it might be engineered by the same people that did the laptop keyboards.   Yes I know that isn’t likely but let’s face it it is all junk until proven otherwise.  
    Yeah no. Apple has earned the benefit of the doubt here on hardware, especially with monitors. 

(as for the keyboards, all I’ve seen in techie echo chamber clickbait, and no real data on defects. Apple says it’s minimal. They can’t lie.)
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    wizard69 said:

I’d be happy to see Apple market a quality 4K display at a rational price point.   The problem with Apple of late is that they don’t seem to grasp that there is a wide array of what could’ve called professional users.  It isn’t a one size fits all world.  

I concur. Everytime I think about switching away from an iMac in favor of a standalone monitor that could be driven by other CPUs (a mac mini, a macbook) I always come back to iMac on price. But a nice, 4K monitor with multiple inputs at a reasonable price offers a lot more versatility and upgradability. I'd hardly call myself a "pro" user, but I don't think this means I shouldn't get choices.  
  • Reply 20 of 21
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    Undoubtedly this LG monitor is the best 5K standalone monitor available today in the market. I paired it with my iMac Pro and its been almost a year, work more than 10 hours a day. So I know it. Having said that, I will be selling it as soon as Apple releases something of their own.
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra