Render of '2019 iPhone' case highlights square rear camera bump

Posted:
in iPhone
Another new render for what is speculated to be the 2019 iPhone has been produced, this time showing what a supposed case for the unannounced flagship smartphone could look like, complete with space to fit the square camera bump.

A number of rumors claim Apple will be redesigning the back of the 2019 iPhone, tentatively named the "iPhone XI" in reports, to be able to fit three cameras and a flash into the camera bump. Speculation and renders have depicted the possible solution of a square camera bump, an idea carried forward into new renders.

A series of images on Slashleaks show the "iPhone XI Max" with a 6.5-inch display, within a clear plastic case. No details are advised about the case itself, but the renders strongly suggest it is a rigid plastic with corner cushions, a cut outs at the back and base for the camera bump, connector, and speakers, and raised spaces on the sides to accommodate the buttons.

The hole on the back panel to match the camera bump is square with rounded corners, and from side shots appears to have slightly raised sections around the gap. It is likely this is intended to help protect the camera bump from being damaged when the iPhone is laid flat on a table, as well as extra protection for bumps and scrapes.

Earlier renders suggested the camera bump would be formed from the same piece of material as the rest of the glass back, rather than being a separate unit added via a cutout section of the rear casing.

Renders and rumors are, at best, guesses as to what to expect from Apple for the next generation of iPhones, with the truth only revealed during the company's September launch event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Don't forget that vertical-sliding Mute Switch change.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Looks ridiculous.  That's my first take.  
    chemenginairnerd
  • Reply 3 of 17
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sdw2001 said:

It’s just a really bad render. Also anything in a case like that would look ugly. And the rings around the camera aren’t going to be white, look at the current iPhone XS. There is one pill shaped ring which matches the color of the back and the stainless steel frame.

• Reply 4 of 17
    I'd rather see a third on the vertical than this. If true 
  • Reply 5 of 17
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    The changed bump shape doesn't delight or bother me. It's fine. Unfortunately the notch still hasn't grown on me. 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    arlor said:
    The changed bump shape doesn't delight or bother me. It's fine. Unfortunately the notch still hasn't grown on me. 
    But the cam tumor that nobody wants to see is being accentuated
    edited May 2019 airnerd
  • Reply 7 of 17
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    sdw2001 said:

It’s just a really bad render. Also anything in a case like that would look ugly. And the rings around the camera aren’t going to be white, look at the current iPhone XS. There is one pill shaped ring which matches the color of the back and the stainless steel frame.

A much better render of the updated XS, XS Max, R

• Reply 8 of 17
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sdw2001 said:

I don’t love it but it’s hard to make something like that look good when you start adding more camera lenses. Even if Apple kept the pill shape it still wouldn’t look great. I just hope the camera improvements are good enough to warrant this less than aesthetic pleasing look.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    sdw2001 said:

I don’t love it but it’s hard to make something like that look good when you start adding more camera lenses. Even if Apple kept the pill shape it still wouldn’t look great. I just hope the camera improvements are good enough to warrant this less than aesthetic pleasing look.
    So what on the planet would collapse if the device would be 0,71456 mm thicker
    edited May 2019 chemengin80s_Apple_Guyairnerd
  • Reply 10 of 17
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I got over the bump when I realized my glass iPhone has to live in a case that makes it thicker and level anyway. Gone is the teeter totter effect. I never actually see the notch on my iPhone Xr; don't understand those complaints at all.

I like my iPhone Xr, but with all the hype over the camera and its portrait features, it doesn't work for taking portraits for anything other than people. I hate people. I take pics of my dogs, and the camera portrait features won't work for that. That sucks, Apple.

I'd kind like a rudimentary snapshot camera on my apple watch. The best camera in the world is the one you have with you.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    sdw2001 said:

Honestly don't think it looks that bad.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I'd prefer they just made the whole phone thicker if it removes the camera bump. Then again this design is totally intended to be used in a case which effectively achieves the same thing.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    eightzero said:
    I got over the bump when I realized my glass iPhone has to live in a case that makes it thicker and level anyway. Gone is the teeter totter effect. I never actually see the notch on my iPhone Xr; don't understand those complaints at all.

I like my iPhone Xr, but with all the hype over the camera and its portrait features, it doesn't work for taking portraits for anything other than people. I hate people. I take pics of my dogs, and the camera portrait features won't work for that. That sucks, Apple.

I'd kind like a rudimentary snapshot camera on my apple watch. The best camera in the world is the one you have with you.
    Halide app is noted for their "portrait mode for pets" ability. Do a search on Youtube.

https://blog.halide.cam/iphone-xr-a-deep-dive-into-depth-47d36ae69a81

"Now we get to do that again: Halide 1.11 will let you take Portrait mode photos of just about anything, not just people."
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 14 of 17
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I guess I'll wait to see the real world version as well as the proven benefits of that massive camera bump.  If it makes a massive change in photo quality then it is worth it.  The Xr camera is already pretty amazing, so I'm not sure how much improvement they can make.  At the end of the day the human eye and brain become the limiting factor.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    3 cameras seems ridiculous. Where does this end? It is now so big and obtrusive...why not have 1 giant lens occupying that space, since they're obviously willing to spare no amount of space on the back, and have a real camera that doesn't need gimmicks to achieve desired results? 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 16 of 17

airnerd said:
    I guess I'll wait to see the real world version as well as the proven benefits of that massive camera bump.  If it makes a massive change in photo quality then it is worth it.  The Xr camera is already pretty amazing, so I'm not sure how much improvement they can make.  At the end of the day the human eye and brain become the limiting factor.
    We already know it won't because it is just adding a 3rd camera, for a 3rd mode. This increase in camera bump size will have no direct effect on a standard photo quality.

Now if they used all that space for 1 giant lens...then you'd see a dramatic improvement in photo quality.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member

airnerd said:
    We already know it won't because it is just adding a 3rd camera, for a 3rd mode. This increase in camera bump size will have no direct effect on a standard photo quality.

Now if they used all that space for 1 giant lens...then you'd see a dramatic improvement in photo quality.
    Depending on the output, information can be pulled from the other sensors to 'improve' the final result.