Apple Park's 'rainbow' designed by Jony Ive for celebration honoring Steve Jobs, campus op...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    So ... your telling me it's not some sort of colorful Stargate portal for rapid transport to faraway Apple campuses? Expectations crushed. Again. This never would have happened under Steve Jobs.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 39
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    McJobs said:
    That’s the guy who also designed the most unreliable laptop keyboard in history of the mankind?
    A rush to post the first negative comment, how MacRumors and totally unoriginal.
    lkruppStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 23 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tyler82 said:
    Macrumors article on this had comments mostly made by homophobes. What is wrong with those people?
    I miss the days when Apple catered more to the counter culture “the misfits, the rebels” and the community was much tighter, friendlier, and forward thinking. When Apple sold its soul for the dollar, its user base has become much more.. knuckle dragging. 
    Okay, here’s the deal.

1. Steve Jobs is dead. He died eight years ago. He’s not coming back.

2. Steve Jobs cannot be replaced. A Steve Jobs comes along maybe once in a generation.

3. Tim Cook and Jony Ive were hand picked by Steve Jobs to take the helm of Apple.

4. Apple is a completely different company to day. It will never return to what you think it was.

5. If Tim Cook and Jony Ive were to be fired or resign there would be no one to replace them. Any replacement would probably be worse than you think.

6. As for selling its soul for the dollar I bought an Apple II+ in 1982 and paid $1295.00 for it. When the Disk II floppy drive came out I paid $695.00. That was more than double what other PC makers were charging for their gear at the time. So nothing has changed as far as pricing goes.

7. You can call your fellow Apple users knuckle draggers but that says more about you than them. If someone disagrees with the gender politics of the left that makes them a homophobic knuckle dragger, huh. 

williamlondonStrangeDaysapple ][welshdog
  • Reply 24 of 39
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I hope the design team "tackles" a unicorn next. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 39
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    jdw said:
    It ALMOST mimics the colors of the first Apple logo, but there is no #F5821F Orange:

https://d3ui957tjb5bqd.cloudfront.net/uploads/2014/11/logocolors-7.jpg
    Sure there is:

• Reply 26 of 39
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    hexclock said:
    It’s a neat design, but doesn’t seem to prevent rain from falling onto the lighting trusses and the performers. Maybe Apple Park has an invisible dome over it. 
    The stage at the Infinite Loop building wasn’t covered either. I’m curious how frequently it rains in Cupertino.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    McJobs said:
    That’s the guy who also designed the most unreliable laptop keyboard in history of the mankind?
    I'm pretty sure that he had nothing do with the engineering of the butterfly keyboard or the silicone gaskets added later.  He's a designer not a mechanical engineer.
    That’s probably reason enough that Ive shouldn’t be allowed final sign-off on designs. If it doesn’t pass engineering and ergonomic design scrutiny, it should not be manufactured.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 39
    jdw said:
    It ALMOST mimics the colors of the first Apple logo, but there is no #F5821F Orange:

Sure there is:

You’re an insider!
  • Reply 29 of 39
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    hexclock said:
    It’s a neat design, but doesn’t seem to prevent rain from falling onto the lighting trusses and the performers. Maybe Apple Park has an invisible dome over it. 
    The stage at the Infinite Loop building wasn’t covered either. I’m curious how frequently it rains in Cupertino.
    Not much rain from May to mid-October in this part of California.

A Google search using the parameters "Cupertino rainfall by month" brings pages like this:

https://en.climate-data.org/north-america/united-states-of-america/california/cupertino-16225/

or

https://www.areavibes.com/cupertino-ca/weather/

May rainfall totals average 0.3" (7 mm) for this city. Note that some cities publish this information on the town's website (usually under the "Visiting") section although the City of Cupertino does not.

Moreover, Cupertino is in the rain shadow of the Santa Cruz Mountains. A typical storm system will move in from the Pacific Ocean, dump a bunch of rain in the coastal range, then drop far less in the South Bay cities near sea level as it continues easterly. The rainfall gauges between the Santa Cruz Mountains and the ones in the Valley floor show this clearly.

Amusingly, there is rain forecasted for Thursday May 16 and Friday May 17. Until then, the forecast is pretty clear.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 30 of 39
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I would hope that Apple uses the stage multiple times in public events.  Special free concerts in places like New York's Central Park.  With Apple's international success there are unlimited locations that are historic and a natural for the Rainbow Stage.  That would be a natural for brand marketing without the hard sell and a natural for Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    McJobs said:
    I'm pretty sure that he had nothing do with the engineering of the butterfly keyboard or the silicone gaskets added later.  He's a designer not a mechanical engineer.
    I thought designers and engineers worked hand in hand at Apple. At least that’s what Phil Schiller tells us.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 39
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    jdw said:

Sure there is:

A bit darker with a tad more red in it than true #F5821F Orange, but perhaps that's just the camera playing tricks.  :-) OK, I accept your answer!

A good number of people may view this as something pertaining to LGBT, and goodness knows Tim Cook has pressed that button numerous times.  Even Jony Ive mentioned the word "inclusiveness" to perhaps hint at that.  But the fact remains these colors were a part of the Apple logo long before sexual preferences commandeered the rainbow.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    hexclock said:
    Generally speaking, we don't get rain in the Bay Area from May to October.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,253member
    hexclock said:
    Generally speaking, we don't get rain in the Bay Area from May to October.
    So the Bay Area has a retractable invisible dome then, got it. 
  • Reply 35 of 39
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    jdw said:
    jdw said:

Sure there is:

A bit darker with a tad more red in it than true #F5821F Orange, but perhaps that's just the camera playing tricks.  :-) OK, I accept your answer!

A good number of people may view this as something pertaining to LGBT, and goodness knows Tim Cook has pressed that button numerous times.  Even Jony Ive mentioned the word "inclusiveness" to perhaps hint at that.  But the fact remains these colors were a part of the Apple logo long before sexual preferences commandeered the rainbow.
    Just over a years difference it time frame is hardly long before. Both likely influenced by peace movements use of the rainbow for inclusiveness. 
  • Reply 36 of 39
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    Jony Ive didn't design this, it's a fake! If Ive had designed it, it would blend seamlessly from silver to space grey and it certainly wouldn't have visible connecting rods.

Oh how I love the ability to make up stuff on the Internet.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    command_f said:
    Jony Ive didn't design this, it's a fake! If Ive had designed it, it would blend seamlessly from silver to space grey and it certainly wouldn't have visible connecting rods.

Oh how I love the ability to make up stuff on the Internet.
    But is it made of a single piece of extruded aluminium?
    mattinoz
  • Reply 38 of 39
    A rainbow is so PC. Get off the PC wagon Mr Cook and be creative!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 39
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Rcjsf1953 said:
    A rainbow is so PC. Get off the PC wagon Mr Cook and be creative!
    Yes that to the sky next time you see one, please!