Questionable report claims iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s won't support iOS 13

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 37
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 292member
    The 6s and SE are pretty much the same phone in different packages. The only real spec difference is the screen. If 6s is supported with iOS13 and SE is not I don’t know what it could be other than screen pixel count. The 6s is 1334 x 750, SE is 1136 x 640.
    tyler82pscooter63netmage
  • Reply 22 of 37
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,791member
    Not having the latest iOS is no big deal as long as Apple provides security updates for a while longer. In my case all of my previous iPhones have been handed down to children, gardeners, housekeepers etc. I like how long Apple products last. I've only had a few fail but only after many years of service.
    MisterKitJFC_PA
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Report says iPad mini 2 no but iPad mini 3 yes aren't they the same other than touch id added for the mini 3 or am I mistaken?
    MisterKit
  • Reply 24 of 37
    chasmchasm Posts: 1,704member
    wood1208 said:
    The way it should work is once Apple stop selling A model, after one to two years, new IOS upgrade for that model stops. Keep it consistent so everyone knows when IOS upgrade stops for the models dropped from Apple's retail.
    It is, actually, fairly consistent. Typically, iPhones continue to be able to run the latest OS for about five years after they debuted, though this is usually based on the processor’s ability to run the new iOS release. That right there should tell you that if the iPhone 6s is going to be able to run iOS 13, then so will the SE, since they have the same chip. So much for “senior engineer,” eh?

    I fully expect the 6s to be able to run iOS 13, so that will be ... drum roll ... five years of iOS support from it’s late 2015 debut. It doesn’t tend to matter when they stopped selling the iPhone.
    netmage
  • Reply 25 of 37
    jdiamondjdiamond Posts: 82member
    My experience is that the user experience nose dives long before Apple officially pulls support.  I upgraded to a 6S because iOS 10 ran unbearably slow on my 5S.  And iOS 12 has reduced my 6S's battery life to about 90 minutes, max.  (Or 15 minutes with a 3D game. :smile: ) This is opposite of my experience with MacOS, where high end, older models can run new MacOSes fine even though they need to be hacked to allow it.  Probably because each Mac line covers a huge range of performance, while each iPhone is just one.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 37
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 123member
    jdiamond said:
    My experience is that the user experience nose dives long before Apple officially pulls support.  I upgraded to a 6S because iOS 10 ran unbearably slow on my 5S.  And iOS 12 has reduced my 6S's battery life to about 90 minutes, max.  (Or 15 minutes with a 3D game. :smile: ) This is opposite of my experience with MacOS, where high end, older models can run new MacOSes fine even though they need to be hacked to allow it.  Probably because each Mac line covers a huge range of performance, while each iPhone is just one.
    Checked your battery health? Maybe replace the battery helps. 
    williamlondonnetmagecrosslad
  • Reply 27 of 37
    ivanhivanh Posts: 394member
    Is iOS 13 worth the hardware upgrade price? I’m still using iPhone 6 Plus. Perhaps I’ll stay with iOS 12 till the apps are not supported. So far, I found Netflix and YouTube (and Google apps) are giving me excellent performance on iPhone 6 Plus. I don’t like being planned obsolescence.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 895member
    My SE warranty is good until March 2020...  how could a device be obsolete when it is still covered under the 1 year warranty?
    habi000
  • Reply 29 of 37
    TomPMRITomPMRI Posts: 13member
    apple ][ said:
    DAalseth said:
    As others have pointed out they are still making and selling the SE. Seems odd to have big sales on the SE in March and April and then cut off updates in September. 
    Where do they sell those new SEs? 

    Because I don't see any for sale on the Apple site.
    I just bought a 32Gb iPhone SE in the “Clearance Products” section of the Apple Store.  It can’t be found by searching the Apple site, but Mr. Google found it for me: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MP8J2LL/A?fnode=068331288dbed0a788df374930c21e3e867d725ecae156dd757e1c7a7e8103e8d89e9b50d667e34b3449d683c012e7d983883659884cdce76d2a7b811c25744c618061a10f11258bdecb4f5ae4586e1239b539d09049edd0f68e7033f8f88d0f
  • Reply 30 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,453member
    MisterKit said:
    The 6s and SE are pretty much the same phone in different packages. The only real spec difference is the screen. If 6s is supported with iOS13 and SE is not I don’t know what it could be other than screen pixel count. The 6s is 1334 x 750, SE is 1136 x 640.
    Since the display is scalable, I would be unhappy if they let the pixel count limit the ability to run iOS 13. 
  • Reply 31 of 37
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,743member
    TomPMRI said:
    apple ][ said:
    DAalseth said:
    As others have pointed out they are still making and selling the SE. Seems odd to have big sales on the SE in March and April and then cut off updates in September. 
    Where do they sell those new SEs? 

    Because I don't see any for sale on the Apple site.
    I just bought a 32Gb iPhone SE in the “Clearance Products” section of the Apple Store.  It can’t be found by searching the Apple site, but Mr. Google found it for me: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MP8J2LL/A?fnode=068331288dbed0a788df374930c21e3e867d725ecae156dd757e1c7a7e8103e8d89e9b50d667e34b3449d683c012e7d983883659884cdce76d2a7b811c25744c618061a10f11258bdecb4f5ae4586e1239b539d09049edd0f68e7033f8f88d0f
    Good to know thanks!

    I was checking Apple's site just a few days ago and I even checked the refurbished section, but I did not check the clearance products section. To be honest, I'm not even sure that I knew that they had a clearance section.

    edit: I just noticed that the clearance tab is in the refurbished section. I never paid attention to it before I guess.
    edited May 10
  • Reply 32 of 37
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 359member
    5 generations on is on schedule for dropping. 

    Sooner or later....

    OTOH? If you’ve got a borderline device. Don’t upgrade the OS! And, yes, that’s totally under your control. 
    edited May 11
  • Reply 33 of 37
    netmagenetmage Posts: 293member
    ivanh said:
    Is iOS 13 worth the hardware upgrade price? I don’t like being planned obsolescence.
    iOS 13 isn’t out and hasn’t been announced so no one knows if it is worth it.
    Apple has never had planned obsolescence in phones and 5 years of support certainly couldn’t be called that. 
    ivanh
  • Reply 34 of 37
    BobJewelsBobJewels Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    My 6 plus (got a new battery for 29.99) runs almost but not quite as fast as my iPhone X both running iOS 12.2. I did wipe the 6 plus and set it up as new when I got my X. I also have. 32 bit iPhone 5 running iOS 10.3.3 and I also got it a new battery. I use them as WIFI devices around the house and for music and podcast listening. The 5 is not as fast as the 6 plus or the X but my point is even if they cut off the 13 upgrade at the 6s, I still have 3 very useable iOS devices that work really well. I don’t plan to replace my X until at least 2020 which is a testament to Apples hardware durability.  
  • Reply 35 of 37
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 1,151member
    Why would they drop 2 generation in one release if they have been working hard over several releases to streamline the OS to run faster on all sorts of lower end devices?

    5S I could believe, not happy but believe it. 6 and same generation devices seems odd given the assumption they will be doing more refinements to get the OS footprint down to help drive the function of the Watch amoungst other things.

    Given odder devices help sell services and keep customers in the ecosystem. I don't see why they don't have a 2 tier OS. Free up the prime by dropping devices out sooner and let them have features that need more power. Have a second tier that keeps devices active for longer but less featured. Gives App makers better targeting to boot. No to mention give a bigger differentiation for new hardware sales. 


  • Reply 36 of 37
    habi000habi000 Posts: 9member
    JFC_PA said:
    5 generations on is on schedule for dropping. 

    Sooner or later....

    OTOH? If you’ve got a borderline device. Don’t upgrade the OS! And, yes, that’s totally under your control. 
    Security updates? vs new features is one question that would need some policyresolution from Apple (clear message). Someone on an old hardware might be just content with security updates.

    AND the other qustion 5 generations from what? 5S vs SE is quite a different ballgame. Apples lifecyclemanagement is an unclear mess in their communication.

     
  • Reply 37 of 37
    AplfdupAplfdup Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The SE is the only small phone in their lineup (that appeals to small phone users.) Discontinuing a 4" phone will mean chasing lots of customers away. But then, that would not be the first really uninformed move the company has made.......
    edited September 15
Sign In or Register to comment.