Apple to add green and lavender to next-gen iPhone XR color palette, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
A report out of Asia on Saturday claims Apple's next-generation 6.1-inch LCD iPhone model, slated to succeed the current iPhone XR, will come in six color options including new green and lavender hues.

iPhone XR

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports Apple plans to switch up the next-gen iPhone XR's color palette by replacing the current coral and blue options with green and lavender. The new hues will be offered alongside white, black, yellow and (PRODUCT)Red.

The report also mentions expectations for "iPhone XS/XS Max" silicone cases, saying the accessories will arrive in white, black, spearmint, Mellow Yellow, (PRODUCT)Red and a Lilac variant similar to the existing iPhone XS leather case shade. While not specified in the report, the silicone case varieties are thought to be associated with next-generation versions of Apple's flagship OLED handsets.

AppleInsider has reached out for clarification.

Apple is widely expected to launch new iterations of the iPhone XS and XR series this fall.

Previous reports suggest Apple's flagship 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED models will boast speed increases, camera improvements like triple-lens rear shooters and a 12MP front-facing module, the ability to charge other devices inductively, a larger battery and new antenna technology.

Renders of the device created from supposedly leaked CAD data show a largely unchanged aesthetic save for a massive square-shaped camera "bump" to accommodate the three-lens array. Some rumors claim the camera bump will be integrated into the monolithic glass back panel, which could be frosted like smartphones offered by segment competitors.

Apple's next-generation iPhone XR is believed to retain a 6.1-inch LCD panel, but incorporate a dual-lens rear camera similar to the current iPhone XS series. Like the XS successor, the 2019 XR might also gain a square camera bump.

Most recently, a report on Friday said Apple's "A13" system-on-chip destined for 2019 iPhones will soon enter mass production at manufacturing partner TSMC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    the 2019 XR might also gain a square camera bump
    Squircle.
    1STnTENDERBITSn2itivguyEric_WVGG
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Apple should give the XR some bolder colors instead of the pastels imo.  A navy, an emerald, a burnt orange.  Anything like that would be nice.
    williamlondonn2itivguycornchipberndogsamrodnapoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 3 of 29
    tenchi211tenchi211 Posts: 96member
    I guess that means the 2019 XS/Max series will be getting the same three colors as the current. Hopefully at least they will have a Product Red option.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    I wish they would have gone with a more Cyan like blue. In the end I ended up going with white because it's the first time in forever I can buy an iPhone where the bezel and the aluminum match my Macbook and Thunderbolt monitors. At the same time I seriously considered the Product Red one. I was thinking about blue but the shade they went with was kinda boring. If there was green I'd SERIOUSLY consider that. As it is now I just have a bunch of coloured TPU cases that I switch between.
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Anecdotally, when I was choosing an apple leather back case for my XS the guy in the Apple store said the forest green shade was outselling all other colours by quite a margin (they were out of them at the time). Having got one myself I have to say it is a really nice shade. I wonder if its popularity is what’s made apple go with a green?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't have an XR and I don't have any plans of getting one anytime soon, but I think they look nice and I can see why they're so popular.

If I had to choose one for myself, I'd probably go for the orangey looking one.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    Shame I like the blue and have one. But agree I’d have preferred a cyan shade. That cyan Nokia used on their Lumias was gorgeous. 
  • Reply 8 of 29
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Apple should give the XR some bolder colors instead of the pastels imo.  A navy, an emerald, a burnt orange.  Anything like that would be nice.
    Especially if you want to win the Chinese market back. And (like coding) it doesn’t require a 4 year education to see that, Tim
    edited May 2019 williamlondonavon b7
  • Reply 9 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    To be honest, I buy Apple Products inspite of their colors rather than because of...
    The white AirPods aren't bad.   And the Apple Watch colors all seem reasonable appropriate.   But the rest...  Generally, I choose the least ugly.
    edited May 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 29
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I think Pantone Orange #45 would sell well in the southern states. 
    jgojcaj
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Latko said:
    Especially if you want to win the Chinese market back. And (like coding) it doesn’t require a 4 year education to see that, Tim
    It's not like they don't already know how to do vibrant colors.  I mean really good vibrant colors.  Colors like these:
    Image result for 5th generation ipod nano
    These colors look great.  The pink is hot.  The red is fire.  That orange always reminds me of the time Nissan introduced the Burnt Orange 350Z,  If I could change one thing, I make the blue a darker shade,  Other than that, Apple could pick any of those flavors and they'd be tasty.
    n2itivguyberndog
  • Reply 12 of 29
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    Latko said:
    It's not like they don't already know how to do vibrant colors.  I mean really good vibrant colors.  Colors like these:
    Image result for 5th generation ipod nano
    These colors look great.  The pink is hot.  The red is fire.  That orange always reminds me of the time Nissan introduced the Burnt Orange 350Z,  If I could change one thing, I make the blue a darker shade,  Other than that, Apple could pick any of those flavors and they'd be tasty.
    Those colours were very good (great at the time). On the other had I hated all the 5c colours as they looked 'dull'. The Xr colours were a step back in the right direction. Mixing them up a bit would be nice.

The biggest purely design related issue on the Xr IMO is probably those thick bezels. I hope they can be slimmed down a lot.

However, it looks like that off centre camera bump might stick out like a sore thumb if the rumours of it being 'hidden' in some way aren't true.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Reading between lines, looks like iPhone XR is very popular so Apple is encouraged to add more colors.
    n2itivguyjgojcajmacplusplus
  • Reply 14 of 29
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Green? 
    Green!
    Oh Yeah!...GREEEEN...
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 15 of 29
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Color me indifferent. I use a case.
    grifmx
  • Reply 16 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Zune Brown, that’s the ticket!
    grifmxStrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 29
    jgojcajjgojcaj Posts: 48member
    I honestly wish it was even more pastel. Like how Google did with the Pixels. They're just a more beautiful color palette.
    Light blue, light green, light yellow, light purple, like coral, and black and white. 
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Next up: Blue Dalmation and Flower Power!
  • Reply 19 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Next up: Blue Dalmation and Flower Power!
    Sure. Why not?

Why do all phones have to be boring solid colors?

Apple should make a few special edition models with crazy designs on them.

Not everybody likes to use a case and it would be cool to have a phone where the design was actually built into the phone.
    edited May 2019 wonkothesane
  • Reply 20 of 29
    grifmxgrifmx Posts: 92member
    don't worry! they will release many different colors slowly and strategically in the coming years, along with other minor improvements, to keep us buying ridiculously expensive pocket computers