New photos show 'beta' Apple Card with NFC-enabled packaging

Posted:
in iPhone
Newly-published photos are said to show one of the first physical Apple Cards, including its special packaging for quick iPhone pairing.

Apple Card

As anticipated the packaging incorporates an NFC tag, according to well-known leak source Ben Geskin. This should link the physical card with the digital one in the Wallet app.

The leaked card is said to belong to someone in a "semi-private" beta internal to Apple. Geskin's name was Photoshopped in to protect the real person's identity.

He noted also that while the card appears gold-like, that's likely an illusion caused by ambient color temperature. In person, cards should have the same silver hue Apple showcased at its March 25 press event.

The physical Apple Card is notable not just for NFC pairing, but being made of real titanium instead of plastic. For security purposes it lacks visible account or CVV numbers, which instead have to be retrieved from the Wallet app.

Apple Card

Apple is partnering with Goldman Sachs and Mastercard for the initial U.S. launch. It has yet to set a firm date beyond sometime this summer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Would have been a bit cooler if they could drop the co-branding (especially the taste Goldman leaves for some...), but slick looking card. 

I still haven't read anywhere - does it have any form of warranty extension? 
    minicoffeeAppleExposedkkqd1337netmageArianneFeldry
  • Reply 2 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Looks nice!

I look forward to getting mine, as long as I don't get denied. I kind of doubt that I would, but you never know. :#
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Being a Mastercard, I would imagine it *will* have extended warranties on purchased items.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    tipoo said:
    Would have been a bit cooler if they could drop the co-branding (especially the taste Goldman leaves for some...), but slick looking card. 

As far as I am concerned, the co-branding with Goldman Sachs gives this card cache. GS is a serious, substantive financial services company. Arguably the best in the world. 

And if this co-branding keeps some possible clientele out, I am actually kind of fine with their not being a part of Apple credit card pool. There certainly are plenty of other credit cards out there. (Although they’d be kidding themselves, and being hypocritical, if they think major financial services companies that offer credit cards don’t have issues similar to that of GS). 
    SoundJudgmentSoli
  • Reply 5 of 36
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    Bravo! You got into the beta program and you leaked it. What a p__ of s__.
    flyingdpAppleExposedAndy.HardwakeSoundJudgment
  • Reply 6 of 36
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    tipoo said:

It surprised me too when I first saw it. Mastercard logo doesn't look as bad though. 

P.S. I believe in the future after Apple gets cemented into this space they will drop their current partners.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    tipoo said:

As far as I am concerned, the co-branding with Goldman Sachs gives this card cache. GS is a serious, substantive financial services company. Arguably the best in the world. 

And if this co-branding keeps some possible clientele out, I am actually kind of fine with their not being a part of Apple credit card pool. There certainly are plenty of other credit cards out there. (Although they’d be kidding themselves, and being hypocritical, if they think major financial services companies that offer credit cards don’t have issues similar to that of GS). 
    Yes, that company also has a knack for being extremely corrupt and unethical.
    kkqd1337williamlondonStrangeDaysfrankie
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Johan42 said:

So it's like every other bank basically?

If somebody has moral problems or any kind of issues at all with GS and the Apple Card, then the solution is simple, don't get the card.

SoliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 36
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Every time I reload my iPad or iPhone, I have to reinput all my banking information for Apple Pay.

We’ll see if the card is ready for prime time.  I require better sync...
  • Reply 10 of 36
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Will people call it the iCard? Perhaps, which is too bad for the trademark holder of the actual iCard product. Apple will never say iCard but individual consumers can't be sued if they use that word to describe the Apple Card.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    The word is 'cachêt' and GS on the card doesn't add a bit to it. Speaking of which, the article doesn't address the pic with GS branding, the MC logo, and no Apple Logo. What's up with that. Why is it in the article. Anyway, the Apple on the card will get more attention that any bank logo.

And implying every bank is as corrupt as GS isn't accurate, and does nothing to lessen the stigma GS gave themselves.

Beyond that, I'm even disappointed to see the MasterCard logo on it. You have one, you know it's a MC. When anybody else needs to know, tell them. Otherwise run the card, it'll be approved and that's all anybody needs to know or care about. You need a card with cachêt? Get a black AmEx or similar.

All things considered, I'd like to see the Apple logo, the card holders name – that's it. CCV? That shouldn't be on the card anymore than a PIN. Expiration date? No need. 

When I ask a merchant if they accept Apple Pay, I no longer get a blank stare and a 'Wut?' The response is a prompt yes or no, as appropriate. Most of those that do, that I frequent, aren't surprised when somebody uses their phone, but they are when I use my Watch. That too, shall pass.

It'll be the same with the Apple Card. Eventually the interest on presenting it will die. No one will ever notice a GS logo.
    SoundJudgmentStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 36
    macgui said:
    Speaking of which, the article doesn't address the pic with GS branding, the MC logo, and no Apple Logo. What's up with that. Why is it in the article. Anyway, the Apple on the card will get more attention that any bank logo.
    What's there to address? That's the back of the card and you even see the mag strip.

It's only natural that the two other partners involved in the card would have their name on it. Apple on the front and the two others on the back of the card. Sounds good to me.
    netmage
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Will people call it the iCard? Perhaps, which is too bad for the trademark holder of the actual iCard product. Apple will never say iCard but individual consumers can't be sued if they use that word to describe the Apple Card.
    I'm sure that a few ignorant people will, but they would still be incorrect, no matter how many use it.

It's like people who talk about the iWatch.

Apple Card sounds better to me anyway.

The whole "i" moniker is kind of played out now, at least for new products, and I don't think that Apple will be releasing too many brand new products using it anymore going forth. 

Apple is choosing to use their own name instead, look at Apple Watch, Apple Card, Apple Arcade, Apple TV+ etc.
    SoundJudgmentnetmage
  • Reply 14 of 36
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Every time I reload my iPad or iPhone, I have to reinput all my banking information for Apple Pay.

We’ll see if the card is ready for prime time.  I require better sync...
    Apple Pay enabled cards are saved into iCloud. Manually reentering CC details is only needed for regular credit cards.

Additionally the card will automatically populate the familiar drop-down CC selection box when being used on websites (so there is no need to go hunting for the numbers when making purchases online through payment gateways that don't support apple pay.)
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 15 of 36
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member

apple ][ said:
    I'm sure that a few ignorant people will, but they would still be incorrect, no matter how many use it.

It's like people who talk about the iWatch.

Apple Card sounds better to me anyway.

The whole "i" moniker is kind of played out now, at least for new products, and I don't think that Apple will be releasing too many brand new products using it anymore going forth. 

Apple is choosing to use their own name instead, look at Apple Watch, Apple Card, Apple Arcade, Apple TV+ etc.
    I imagine the switch was also driven by Apple's constant struggle when registering "e-" and "i-" based trademarks around the globe. While Apple's use of those prefixes isn't entirely unique. There were a lot of prospectors which were buying up anticipated trademarks in advance along with companies which were attempting to ride the coattails of popular i-named products such as the iMac and iPod. (iPhone in Canada and iPad in China come to mind as examples of that.) This problem is moot with their current naming scheme, as well as being simpler and better connected to the brand.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Don’t forget taxation issues. You’re getting cash back. Even the points you earn from regular credit cards can have income tax consequences. You may be surprised to receive 1099-Misc form at the end of the year.

Now, because the cash back is immediate and not delayed, it’s less likely to be seen as income, and because the cash back is directly related to a purchase, it again will not likely be considered income (he longer the delay in receiving the discount, the more likely the discount is considered income). Discounts and cash back promotions by other card companies to get you to sign up are likely taxable, the commenter’s suggestion that this is a negative of the Apple Card should be considered a positive or at least neutral.

However, if you are buying an item for business purposes with Apple Card and therefore will be deducting the cost from business income, it’s likely you will not be able to deduct the cost of the item, but the cost less the cash back amount, which results in not being able to deduct as much from business income.

See your tax accountant. 

• Reply 17 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

We’ll see if the card is ready for prime time.  I require better sync…
    if you kill your Apple Pay cards on a device you will have to reenter all your credit and debits into Apple Pay for that device. They are created and tied to physical card number and account by your bank. This is a well thought out security measure. When you reload them back onto that device you'll see that they have different numbers created by your bank.

I'm curious why you're so frequently wiping your devices for this to be a key issue with Apple Pay.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    tipoo said:

But Goldman Sack is on the backside... 
  • Reply 19 of 36
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    apple ][ said:
    Johan42 said:

So it's like every other bank basically?

If somebody has moral problems or any kind of issues at all with GS and the Apple Card, then the solution is simple, don't get the card.

So what you are saying is having the newest shiny thing from Apple is more important than ethical or corruption issues. You know people every day make choices like that. That is why we have unethical and corruption in the world. People will tolerate or ignore it for their own personal gain.
    edited May 2019 frankie
  • Reply 20 of 36
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Is there a reason Apple went with MasterCard instead of Visa? Lower costs?

As for interest, the information Barry Sanders presents is eye opening. Credit card companies are legal loansharks and there’s no reason why GS or Apple should be charging so much.