Alleged 'iPhone XI,' 'XI Max,' 'XE' case molds surface with square camera bumps

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2019
The rumor Apple will be incorporating a square camera bump into the designs of the 2019 iPhones has been given more fuel, after a photograph surfaced allegedly showing a set of three molds for the rear glass casing, complete with sections for the raised bump.

Recent renders have appeared throughout May supposedly depicting this year's lineup of iPhones, consisting of the iPhone XR's replacement the "iPhone XE," the iPhone XS and XS Max followups the "iPhone XI and iPhone XI Max," and even a case. While unconfirmed, the images offer a hint as to what could be unveiled by Apple in September.

A new photograph posted to Twitter by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman seemingly suggests the renders may be true. The photograph, showing three different sizes of mold, have raised sections in one corner that matches the camera bump from the renders, as well as sections for each of the camera lenses and the flash to be fitted.

This is not the first time a photo of a physical item relating to the 2019 iPhones' manufacture has circulated. In April, a photograph of manufacturing "dummies" showed two units made from worked metal, complete with the camera bump and lens position.

Alleged next iPhone case moldings show what we discussed in our story last week in terms of new cameras. 3 on the high end, 2 on the new XR. Plus all models apparently getting a square, at least based on this one mold floating around. https://t.co/BhAFTZZL6u pic.twitter.com/QlNJTsApzX

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

The camera bump is thought to be part of the glass rear casing of the iPhones for this year, instead of being a separate section inserted into a cutout section. A mold would be required not only to shape the glass but to make the camera bump in that style of design.

The top-flight iPhones are expected to have three cameras rather than two, with the wide-angle and telephoto lenses accompanied by a third that could be a super-wide lens or one enabling 3D depth mapping. The "iPhone XE" upgrades from the iPhone XR's single lens to two.

While renders and photographs may be convincing, there is no guarantee that the images are really for the new iPhones, with the only guarantee of what Apple will release for 2019 being what it puts on stage in its September iPhone event.

Few other changes have been brought up in rumors, with the single-piece glass rear covers and square camera bumps largely dominating speculation for the moment. There have been discussions about whether there will be Lightnting or USB-C ports, the front-facing cameras switching to an improved 12-megapixel system, and that the "A13" chip at the heart of the devices has allegedly entered mass production.

There has been the suggestion the addition of Ultra Wide Band support would enable indoor positioning and navigation, as well as a frosted glass casing option and larger batteries. More interestingly, "bilateral" wireless charging would enable the iPhones to provide charge to other devices wirelessly, acting as a charging pad of sorts for accessories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Thought two cameras on XR would be vertical like current MAX is. Apple probably went square for consistency.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Going to assume this is accurate. Gurman isn’t always right, but he has a strong track record.

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder how much of a budget these “breaking news” tech reporters have for bribing sources in China?
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    wood1208 said:
    Thought two cameras on XR would be vertical like current MAX is. Apple probably went square for consistency.
    They are vertical.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    Please no...I’ve seen the renders and they look ugly as hell.
    chemengin
  • Reply 5 of 14
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Going to assume this is accurate. Gurman isn’t always right, but he has a strong track record.

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder how much of a budget these “breaking news” tech reporters have for bribing sources in China?
    When it comes to hardware / software leaks Gurman is by far the most accurate.  Even Kuo doesn't come close
  • Reply 6 of 14
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I hope Apple has patented the rounded corners on their square bumps.

/s
  • Reply 7 of 14
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Al least I’m glad nobody confirmed the name “XI”.

• Reply 8 of 14
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    A phone as thick as the camera bump but filled in with more battery instead would
    be ideal. 
    designrmattinozJohan42
  • Reply 9 of 14
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    The back of the iPhone isn’t of much concern for me. I look at the screen. 
  • Reply 10 of 14
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    wood1208 said:
    It’s square for adding room for the flash etc. the two lenses are vertical. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    tyler82 said:
    A phone as thick as the camera bump but filled in with more battery instead would
    be ideal. 
    Not happening. Too practical. Jony Ive is too concerned with making Apple products as thin as his manhood.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    leekalokleekalok Posts: 1member
    tyler82 said:
    be ideal. 
    i see your point, but it might be heavy though. some light user would prefer this version with the phone case fill out the volume. But heavy use like us would prefer more battery, even the phone is heavier
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 13 of 14
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    I saw nice funny comment today. Apple integrated hot plate cooker on rear side. :-)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    A 6.1” “XE”. Not only have they dropped the 4” phone from the lineup, but it seems they are now salting the earth ...