Apple releases updates for iOS 12.3 with TV app additions

Posted:
in iOS edited May 2019
Apple has released iOS 12.3 to the public, providing iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users with updates to the operating system.

The beta for iOS largely featured major changes relating to the TV app, namely preparing the operating systems for the public launch of the updated Apple TV experience, which includes Apple TV Channels and the Apple TV+ services arriving later in 2019. Changes were made to both iOS and tvOS so as the TV app on both could have a parity of features throughout the beta testing process.

The release version of iOS 12.3 is build number 16F156, replacing iOS 12.2's build 16E227. The public release follows after the operating systems passed through six iterations of the beta testing cycle.

The Apple TV Channels allow customers to subscribe to different TV networks and video providers, effectively working as an a la carte pay TV service. Under Family Sharing, subscriptions can be shared with up to six family members using their Apple ID and password.

Another major change included in iOS 12.3 is the Wallet app, which has some features altered in preparation for the launch of Apple Card, the branded credit card launching in the United States this summer. The card offers enhanced functionality provided via the Wallet app, including spend tracking and being able to apply, be accepted, and start using the card in the same day via Apple Pay.

For iOS, the update can be installed by going to the Settings app, selecting General then Software Update, selecting the update, and entering the PIN for the device. If automatic updates is enabled, the device will download the update for the user and provide a notification before installing it.

An update to the HomePod was included in iOS 12.3 release. Fixes are limited to enterprise network login issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    So where home video library goes now? Did Apple made up mind or still confusion?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    n2itivguyn2itivguy Posts: 103member
    So where home video library goes now? Did Apple made up mind or still confusion?
    It’s still there under Library. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Kris2112Kris2112 Posts: 16member
    Unfortunately, the TV app in 12.3 rather badly breaks video metadata for TV shows and Movies synced to an iOS device from a Mac via iTunes.

Series descriptions and episode descriptions are gone, as are air dates.

Worst of all, TV episode and movie play counts and dates are not updated when you finish viewing.

I rely heavily on play count and play date information in Smart Playlists to schedule my viewing.

So, word of warning: if you rely on play counts and dates of synced content, don't update to 12.3 yet.
    leighc-sfo
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    The tv app wants me to resubscribe to all the tv streaming services I’m already subscribed to. Apparently having the prior version of the tv app connect to these services was a waste of time as it seems to have forgotten that connection. This is a use case that should have been worked out. What a POS. I mean who writes code like this?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Kris2112 said:
    Unfortunately, the TV app in 12.3 rather badly breaks video metadata for TV shows and Movies synced to an iOS device from a Mac via iTunes.

Series descriptions and episode descriptions are gone, as are air dates.

Worst of all, TV episode and movie play counts and dates are not updated when you finish viewing.

I rely heavily on play count and play date information in Smart Playlists to schedule my viewing.

So, word of warning: if you rely on play counts and dates of synced content, don't update to 12.3 yet.
    And now anything viewed as downloaded, movie or tv series, just gets lumped together in one insanely stupid scrolling list. The same with genres: apparently there's no difference between a twenty minute sitcom and a two hour movie. 

Progress indicators (watched, halfway through, and so on) have been ditched too. 

Added artwork to your movies or tv series? If it's popular enough, Apple will replace it with their own artwork in a new landscape layout. Otherwise, they'll either stretch the image as a background blur or punt on it. 

Absolutely user hostile. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I need help here. Because since the HomePod 12.3 update and iOS 12.3 update everything is crap. HomePod can't play music through Airplay. Siri play music I didn't know or want. Total nightmare. But before that update that was just a charm and pleasant. Why why ?