Apple TV Channels arrive on third-generation Apple TV and in tvOS 12.3 update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
Following minutes after the release of iOS 12.3, Apple has shipped an update bringing tvOS to 12.3, as well as releasing an update for the third-generation Apple TV.

Issued by Apple on Monday, the update to tvOS 12.3 is build number 16M153, replacing tvOS 12.2's build of 16L226. The public release went through five iterations of the beta testing process before being made available to download.

At the same time as the tvOS update, Apple has issued its new Apple TV Software version 7.3, which itself passed through the beta testing process four times.

The updates introduce a new Apple TV experience to users of the third-generation Apple TV, as well as the fourth and current model and the Apple TV 4K. The experience revolves around the concept of Apple TV Channels, which will give users a way to sign up to, and subscribe to, a variety of television and streaming providers through the existing Apple TV interface, without needing to download a separate dedicated app.

In effect, it is similar to if a user buys a pay-TV subscription, but is effectively free to pick and choose just the channels they want, rather than a larger bundle. In the United States, the first wave of channels include those from HBO, Starz, Showtime, Smithsonian, EPIX, Tastemade, and MTV Hits.

Family Sharing will let up to six family members share their Apple TV channel subscriptions using their Apple ID and password. Shows and movies can be downloaded to watch online and offline, making it the first and only place HBO subscribers can download shows for offline viewing.

Users will also start to receive recommendations of shows and movies from more than 150 video apps and streaming services, and over 100,000 iTunes movies and TV shows, including the largest collection of 4K HDR titles available to buy or rent. Under Watch Now, the Up Next option will let users find their favorite shows, and synchronize it across devices.

A dedicated kids section includes handpicked shows and movies for children to enjoy, while the Sports section aims to make it easy to find games and notifications for favorite teams and leagues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I still have a third gen Apple TV 3. I didn't think that it would ever be seeing any more additions, but I was thankfully wrong.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I am also clinging to mine. People often doesn’t give a second thought of how long Apple support its products, to the benefits of its customers. Talk about money well spent.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 12
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    My only question is what user of the Apple TV, the device shared amongst several family plan users, will be used for recommendations? If it’s the logged in user and Apple has not addressed the fact that many people use the Apple TV then Tim Cook’s assertion that Apple is family friendly is a sham and they have failed the family friendly part of their ecosystem. 

BTW, are any of the AppleInsider reviewers going to address this issue? 
    edited May 2019 n2itivguy
  • Reply 4 of 12
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    So it will still advertise PAID content mixed with your owned/subscribed content? What a fu**ing mess. This is the reason we don't use the TV App, it's too damn confusing when looking for something to WATCH but not something to BUY.
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 5 of 12
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Mike Wuerthele reported in March that the 7.3 betas were all but unusable due to very slow input response. Was Apple able to fix that in this 7.3 release?

I had turned off automatic updates on my TV3 because I didn’t want this latest update to ruin a still-functional device. 

So they are bringing the upgraded Apple TV app to the 3rd Generation? Is that not really odd considering it never received the Apple TV app (to my knowledge) to date. It also downplays the software advantage the 4th gen Apple TV has had over the 3rd.
    Looks like, and this is the first Apple TV app on the third gen. However, it is very, very, very slow. When testing for this article, we found that you can easily scroll faster than the thumbnail graphics can keep up, which isn't a problem on the Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K.

It is also still only an AirPlay 1 target. The HD and 4K are AirPlay 2.

• Reply 6 of 12
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Loaded/runs fine on our 4K.  Checked the 3rd Gen we hooked up to our previous TV for my father-in-law and it runs fine.  Join the party.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    benjerbenjer Posts: 91member
    apple ][ said:
    I still have a third gen Apple TV 3. I didn't think that it would ever be seeing any more additions, but I was thankfully wrong.
    Also an Apple TV 3 user. Here's something I haven't found documentation for: Is it possible to connect other subscription services into the AppleTV app on the ATV3 like you can on the newer versions and in the iOS app? I couldn't figure out a way to do it, so I'd imagine the answer's no. Not a huge deal since we only have a couple of subscription services, but it would be fun to see how it works.
    greginnj
  • Reply 8 of 12
    benjer said:
    apple ][ said:
    Also an Apple TV 3 user. Here's something I haven't found documentation for: Is it possible to connect other subscription services into the AppleTV app on the ATV3 like you can on the newer versions and in the iOS app? I couldn't figure out a way to do it, so I'd imagine the answer's no. Not a huge deal since we only have a couple of subscription services, but it would be fun to see how it works.

That is my question also.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    FYI,  TV 3 was updated today to version 7.5
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Thanks, Mike! I posted in that thread about version 7.5 adding support to TV3 hardware with the Remote widget in Control Center.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    Version 7.6 for TV3 dropped yesterday, though it doesn't mention any specific changes: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202157

7.5 for TV3 added support for user profiles in the Amazon Prime channel. Still waiting to see whether this ever comes to our TV4 boxes.