Support for AirPlay 2, Apple TV app on Samsung televisions rolling out now

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2019
Samsung Electronics announced that beginning on Monday, all 2019 Samsung Smart TVs and select 2018 TV models will recieve a firmware update will feature the all-new Apple TV app, and add AirPlay 2.

The Apple TV app works the same way that it does on an Apple TV. Users select the Apple TV app icon to access all of their iTunes movies and TV show purchases and browse more than 100,000 iTunes movies and TV shows to buy or rent. The Apple TV app works with Samsung's Smart TV Services, such as Universal Guide, Bixby and Search

"For the last decade, Samsung has been at the forefront of offering the broadest selection of content available to consumers on our Smart TV platform." said Won-Jin Lee, Executive Vice President, Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. "As the first TV manufacturer to integrate the Apple TV app on a Smart TV platform, Samsung continues to offer our customers incredible value and access to the Apple TV app experience on the largest screens available today."

The select compatible Samsung televisions will also be compatible with AirPlay 2. Unlike other models from Vizio and others, HomeKit support is not included.

With Monday's iOS and tvOS updates, Apple has expanded the availability of the Apple TV app to over 100 countries, up from the current roster of just ten.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I live in a Samsung-Free home.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    indiekidukindiekiduk Posts: 381member
    Being able to turn the TV on/off and change channel via HomeKit is what I'd like, shame Samsung doesn't have that.
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    jsh56jsh56 Posts: 12member
    "receive"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    So come on Sony, please come to the party.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I’m getting a server error when trying to download the Apple TV app. No software update available yet though 
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Now the app has disappeared from the Samsung store
  • Reply 7 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    What safeguards did Samsung put in place to guarantee that my AppleID/Password that I have to enter into their TV is secure?  

Think Samsung Knox.  That POS software advertised as DOD-level security yet kept certain passwords in plain-text before Samsung got caught doing that.

Samsung wouldn’t know how to lock a doorknob on their best day so I’m curious how this works.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Keep my TV dumb please.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    My next TV is a Sony, but I won't connect even a Sony to the Internet. All the smarts for my TV will remain in my Apple TV.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    My next TV is a Sony, but I won't connect even a Sony to the Internet. All the smarts for my TV will remain in my Apple TV.
    Because you’re so eager to get into the Android ecosystem?  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Sorry, but if you buy a Sony TV, it will have Android TV.  You can't even use it without signing in with a Google account.  You could then conceivably disconnect it from the internet, but then menus become slow because they time-out trying to connect (yes - even system/display setting menus).  And for the WiFi, you have to turn it off in two places.  Off doesn't really mean off, in the typical System/Network menu location.  It stays on for Chromcast, etc.  You have to find the other place to turn it off completely (if that is even truly off).

I speak from personal experience.  I have 2 x 2017 Sony 4K TVs, 900 series.  I hate it, but it is what it is.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    nicholfd said:
    Sorry, but if you buy a Sony TV, it will have Android TV.  You can't even use it without signing in with a Google account.  You could then conceivably disconnect it from the internet, but then menus become slow because they time-out trying to connect (yes - even system/display setting menus).  And for the WiFi, you have to turn it off in two places.  Off doesn't really mean off, in the typical System/Network menu location.  It stays on for Chromcast, etc.  You have to find the other place to turn it off completely (if that is even truly off).

I speak from personal experience.  I have 2 x 2017 Sony 4K TVs, 900 series.  I hate it, but it is what it is.

Damn it! I guess I'll look into Projectors then.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Howdy,

Just out of curiosity would these Airplay 2 compatible TV's mean that you could connect the TV to a pair of HomePods? Meaning that any input from the TV would be able to play through the HomePods? I would really like to use mine as dedicated TV speakers for gaming an so on.

Cheers
  • Reply 14 of 14
    glee217glee217 Posts: 15member
    Howdy,

Just out of curiosity would these Airplay 2 compatible TV's mean that you could connect the TV to a pair of HomePods? Meaning that any input from the TV would be able to play through the HomePods? I would really like to use mine as dedicated TV speakers for gaming an so on.

Cheers
    I am looking into this too but not too sure. I know that airplay 2 tv’s and homepod can be airplayed from an ios/mac so audio is simultaneously coming from both. 

Btw I am hoping homepods can act as a soundbar too lol